No announcement yet.

king clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20SCOUT, I agree on all counts. Tha King clutch is OK, but it has had problems in my 37 Chief which is the only bike I run them in, that I never had with stock clutches. I say if your Indian does not work fine with stock clutches that you are setting it up wrong. THE STOCK INDIAN CLUTCHES WORK FINE. PS What looks good on THE BENCH does not always relate to actually RIDING the Motocycle!

Comment

I think you may have mixed things up as I prefer stock over King Clutches. I run stock when available and the one time I could not find stock is when I used King Cluches and had diffuculties. Since this was the break-in, I did it by the book (I have done several other bikes before). Many things are possable but I do believe they wher installed correctly. Did I get a bad plate, did I screw up?? I don't have an answer, but the original question was about experiances with this item and mine was not favorable. If your clutch is bad and you replace them with ANY new plates (stock or other), it should run better. Do what you need to do to put your bike back on the road safely. Good luck.
      TR

Comment

20Scout!

With all due respect I wish to ask:

Do you have your pedal friction spring adjusted firmly? (Meaning: the pedal stays where ever you put it.)

...Cotten

Comment

I do now and believe I did then too. That was one of many things on my check list both before, during and after I started the brake in process. My 640 is on it's second stage of brake in and the speed has been increased and ect. So far no problems with the new stock plates. Since this posting, I have had several people tell me that they have had problems too, not alot but a few. One person in particular has done bikes for decades (and I highly respect) and he had warped plates on one of his bikes too. This I learned just recently. I ride my bikes, I don't abuse them but I ride them. Personaly with the experiance that I have had (and heard), I feel more confedent in my bikes with stock plates (if set up correctly).
          TR

Comment

Are you only riding in enduros?
            Then once again, I stand by my first statement.

The friction dampener on footpedals was necessary back when daily travel was traversing cowpaths and fording streams. It is all too common for modern riders to think they are supposed to be tight, robbing much of the feel. I have even found the much sturdier harley plates warped from slippage at modern highway speeds that the rider did not detect.

Raybestos, Qua, King, and Greer are all good clutches.

....Cotten

Comment

So the next engine is a 741 crate engine being boosted to 57". I have a brand new never run, totally gummy clutch. (In my opinion, these 741 powerplants were THROWN together. Just because it is a new engine, does not make it a good engine) After looking through this thread again, I am going to clean this one up and dress it a little and give it a try, in spite of the fact that I have a King Clutch on hand intended for this engine. What is the worst thing that can happen, putting another clutch in? I still think I might pull a few springs out before running it. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
              X