king clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cheifrider
    i do believe each of these old machines have there own personality . the real deal is to ride them regardless of what it takes .nothing like having a beer at the bar ,lookin out the window when 20 new bikes pull up and they poke,prod ,and then come in the door to ask.......WHAT YEAR IS IT?
    You just summed up my love of Indian perfectly. Can't wait till my 22 Power Plus if running again!

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Comment

I also like the idea of having a beer or two but really dont what anyone on a new bike has to say about my old MCs !! Fookin if they dont like them but it is nice to see them all know so much about what they are lookin at!

Comment

G'day Inline. (God it's my dream to own an early 4!)
        I was going to say the same thing, but didn't wish to upset any late model Hd owners, as 99% of them have no idea what they are looking at!

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Comment

i am able to B.S in here alot today as my wife had some major surgery and just got home ........shes like an old scooter to ,ill do anything to keep "er runnin .its easy today though just 2 vicodens and a labatts blue! hey inline.ive actually had people come up to me that just pulled up on a $30,000 harley and ask me what year my old harley is ,and the #$%$## thing says INDIAN all over it,............... another tale if you all have the time............................. i was in a bar called the "WELLS HOUSE" in pottersville ny (mabey some of you guys have been there )one night and this jerk comes in and he was looking at my 1948 wl that was on display, now this is a nice bike ,fairly correct,and it definitley was recognizable as a harley(as it ****** oil everywhere!)lol.anywho, he absolutley INSISTED IT WAS AN INDIAN ,it took ,that night,a good old fashoined punch right in the mouth to straighten that one out.just to clarify this dude was not drunk as i generally just walk away from guys who are and know everything. hey bay town ,i have a sidevan (late teens or so) that may look good on your rig ,i aquired it and .....well ......well.......i .........i guess i dont have a powerplus or ever will. those real old indians just simply amaze me to no end,i cannot even imagine jumping on one of those old board trackers and doin what they did ,,,,,,BIG differnce between todays "biker" and what those crazy bastards did.

Comment

Was at a local meet this summer and a dude walks over to a fella riding a twin rice burner and says to him...Nice Hog man!! He was serious too !! Pas

Comment

I have been running the same King clutch in my Frankenscout for five years, and many hard miles. No complaints. Beats the the stock clutch I had in it before hands down. Ed will back you up and treat you well, even if it is your own learning curve. Actually he wants my assembly back with a free exchange, just to see how they hold up. Currently I do not see the need.

Comment

well i got my clutches yesterday and cant wait to install them .....but right now i have the rear wheel and shock assembly off.routine maintenance and a new tire .probably will have this wheel trued also .hope it all can be finished for daytona.

Comment

Well didnt this turn into a Very interesting thread!
                  PaPs I bet that was a Hoot !
                  Chiefrider,I hope your wife is feeling better(mine is just starting to come round from a shoulder operation,8 weeks @home)
                  Baytown,I hope I didnt offend anyone,and I dont think they spend any time at this site!!! So we are safe...I hope

Comment

Thanks Inrust, I beginning to think I was the only idiot to use (and like) the King Clutches. I personally use any and all NOS parts I can get, but where do you get NOS Indian clutch disc? I love to use modern high tech materials like Kevlar, Lexan, and Carbon Fiber on parts I fabricate.

Louie

Comment

well all you guys.....tom couldnt take it any more and decided to install some clutches today as momma is feeling better (thanks for the get well wish inline) as soon as i started to get into the primary ,joe murphy(you all know him hes the law guy), decided to come over for several hours . first he told me that 2 of the 3 rivets holding my generator drive sprocket were missing ,i didnt believe him so i looked and sure enough.................., well if your familiar with a 48 chief this can be a project ....so........went to the store for some beverage ,came home and got to work.(tom is still wondering why indian makes you take half the bike apart ,including the tranny to pull the clutch basket)neither here nor there ,i didnt mind as the bike needs a good cleaning and attention to detail.what he did get fairly CONCERNED about though ,was the fact that the motor sprocket was quite happy where it was ,in fact i think it was thrilled ,so happy it could just $%^&! so after 4 hours it finally decided to come off.i was this close() to coming online and asking you guys if there was a trick to this.well i pulled the basket, sprockets etc, so i could replace the rivets on the gen drive sprocket .well someone (in 1954?) decided to weld the sprocket in place .i guess thats ok but mike thomas (kiwi) says this is a bad thing and will fail. any thoughts out there on this?......................the 48 saga continues.(19 days till we go to daytona with this bike)

Comment

Well.... by the looks of the laundry list of bikes at the bottom of your posts, I'd just change the oil in a different one and get it ready to go! You can always fix the Chief when you get home!

Comment

yea i considered that ,but the 48 is the only one with a 2 up seat except for the 41 .but that wont fit in my van.the 41 also really does not like me nor i it (it is still being punished for several roadside breakdowns and many hours of kicking) this bike can go away anytime as i decided to run indians exclusively.(they are a much better machine)so with any luck i can turn this 41 into a prewar chief

Comment

Chiefrider, you've got to be nice to Harleys, they can sense your negative vibes. It's been my experience with bikes that the small things bite you in the arse. Hard starting could be a manifold air leak, worn out valves, or a bad condensor. But when a love affair is over with a bike, it's over. Just like with women, you can't revive the spark. When that happens, it's time to move on. I had a 1930 KJ that I truely hated and I have to say that I have no regrets about bidding that piece of crap adieu, However I have two teenage Hendersons that I love to death and they have both given me just as much trouble as the KJ. . . . . Go figure. I also have a '40 Chief that was a bloody nightmare to restore but for some weird reason I stayed with it and somehow rose above the frustration and got it to run right. It's the best running bike I have now. Somehow you have to keep some spark of love alive for a motorcycle during the process of restoration becuase every bike had a good day in it's past and it's up to the guy who owns it and works on it to bring that day back. This post is for people who do their own work and know the agony and ecstasy of laboring over a dream in their head that looks like a pile of crap to everyone else.

Comment

You couldn't have put it better eric! When it's love it's love, but when it's over it's time to say adios!!!!! I've let go of bikes and their memory doesn't haunt me in the least! Then there some others that are still patiently waiting for me to get off my arse and make them right!!!

Comment

i agree with eric and co, and the time is coming for this 41 ...its a little bit tough because when i bought this bike it had a reverse tranny and i waited 6 years for a buddy of mine to loosen up the sidecar ..........i only bought the hack because my springer(spaniol)really loves to ride.but i have done everything in my power to make this bike run........dont get me wrong it runs,and when it does it is a ball.i brought it to an older gents 75th bday party and had to ride around for the whole shindig ,because all the older gals wanted to go for a spin.but the down time on this machine is almost to the point of rediculous,mabey im missing the cure ,but ive tried everything i can think of (3 times)to correct it.............plus.........................I WANT A 38 CHIEF SO BAD................oh well time will tell, but something is gonna happen shortly

Comment

Working...
                                X