No announcement yet.

king clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then I think it's unanimous (at least on my part) You should let the ol' H-D go and grab that '38! They are after all one of the purtiest Chief's ever made!!!!

Comment

Be a real hog!! Keep it and get the 38 !

Comment

I agree with Inline...Keep them ALL...

Louie

'16 Miami, '20 HD, '35 HD, '47 Chief, '47 Knuckle, '65
        Pan, '72 Toaster + some other Junk

Comment

O.K.,,,,,O.K.! It's not unanimous......... I guess I'd keep the H-D too if I had the option...........

Comment

By the way....Nice line-up Louie!!!! Have you ever posted a pic of that Miami of yours???????

Comment

The Miami is cool. I've got a 1938 Sunbeam T9 Toaster that I still use everyday. I like that deco stuff.

What is a 72 toaster? BSA?

Yup, It happened again. Hockey dressing room after game and a guy (50yrs) says he's buying a HD. He doesn't ride, never has. Really doesn't have a clue. But he's gittin one. Go figure?

My newest form of entertainment will be pulling a plug wire one one of these machines (at yuppie cafe) and then sitting back and watching as the person freaks out trying to start the bike. I'll cooly step in and help them with my old world mechanical skills - for 50 bucks. hee-hee.... wow, that would be really cruel. hee-hee.....

I'm looking at 96 fatboy that was used to pay a bad rent debt. Woman would like to unload for 9K. So maybe all modern HDs will go this way? Time will tell.

I like my King clutch.

Comment

ok guys...............i got pictures in the puter..............getting them to you all is like removing a motor sprocket.did the browse button thing attached it and then joe murphy showed up ,any hints here ,takes forever to load and go

Comment

Sorry admin, '72 BMW toaster with chrome sided tank and side covers.

Louie

Comment

finally got the clutches in the 48....while i was waiting for parts i took the shocks apart for an exam, found a broke spring in the upper shock. i guess this is common.started the bike last nite ,its been sitting for 4 months and it went on the 3rd kick(after 2 primes)GOOD GIRL!i looked at the 41 hd and grinned, i think the indian did to!tried the clutches in the basement and was amazed to find it went into gear with no noise whatsoever, i think i like this setup. we have a snowmobile party 25 miles from home today and i really need to road test the bike before we go to daytona. it was -3 degrees here this morning so this should be an interesting ride . ill bet its the only bike there...........unless my bud down the way wants to exersize his 41 wl...hmmmmmmm?

Comment

I am finally taking the Frankenscout down after six years of being run hard and put away wet. The rings are the only internal engine parts that are being replaced. The cams, oil pump, rods are all good. I have been running this machine with 100LL aviation fuel and 30W non-detergent oil. During the season of regular running, I also change the oil every week. I only run one quart of oil unless I am going some great distance. Feel the tank and you will know if the oil is getting hot. I increase the weight of the oil up to 40W and 50W as it gets warmer. Kent Thompson built this engine and did it right. Bad news for Ed Glascow and King clutch, though. I measured the plates that have been run mercilessly for six years against a set of new King plates. The best thickness deviation I can come up with from the old clutch and the new one is .0005. There is very little evidence of elongation on the friction plates. Sorry Ed, you cannot have my old clutch, as it has been proudly re-installed. I thank you and my transmission thanks you.

Comment

i started this thread to get opinions on the king clutch,,,,well i put a set in my 48 and they are great.since then i aquired a set for my 46.this bike is a ground up restoration with a brand new stock clutch in it.it has ground going into 1st gear since day one. on sunday last i took it for a ride and it still grinds .....3 hours later the new clutch was in and the grinding disappeared ,this clutch is an awesome improvement over the original.(my opinion)

Comment

Glad to see you are a happy man !! Now ride those two and give a 5k report! have fun!

Comment

would love to send you guys a picture of "THE HERD" but i cant seem to get them in these forums....ps. started the ol" 48 wl today and took er to town for some fresh gas.it ran like a top (if only the forty one would follow suit??????????????

Comment

Since Cotton thinks I screwed up when I installed my King Clutch pack, I decied to do a little research. And I found out that in the 60's, both Honda and MotoGuzzie experimented with clutch packs very simular to the King Clutch. They decided not to use them as they had a tendency to warp............dude. This information was givin to me by several people, one a very reputable motorcycle mechanic who is familure with everything in question. I have no doubt as to weather they work or not, but they can (and do) warp. My set did and I hope yours does not. If your happy with them and it puts your bike back on the road, great. But the last time I checked, in this country I was still able to voice my opinion......dude.
                              TR

Comment

It takes abuse to warp any plate,
                                even with the overwhelming horsepower and torque of a Scout.

I stand by my statement, although I will apologize to the Forum for its lack of tact.

...Cotten

Comment

Working...
                                X