Harley and the davidsons :-)(-:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley and the davidsons :-)(-:

The Discovery Channel is running a 3 part 6 hr. special starting on Monday Sept. 5th(Labor Day). YouTube has a trailer on the special entitled "Harley and the Davidsons". Looks like a lot of early H.D. BOARD TRACK recreations. Have a safe and wonderful Labor Day. C'ya.

Dear All, please let me know what the series looks like. It was made in Bucharest Studios, Romania, by RAW Television based in London. I was told the early replica bikes were built in South Africa. They bought two of my 1936 VLs for it and I'm busting to see how they were used in the movie. At least one of them is apparently now for sale in the USA. I think it's the VLH with hot cams, so watch out for this one. The VL will be the next big thing since Formula 1 driver Sebastian Vettel paid $52,000 for a 1930 model at Bonhams recently...

Comment

You might be right about the upcoming VL cRaZe Steve, eBaY recently had a nice red 34' VLD that sold toot-sweet in about a day for $34,000. Bike was located in Monrovia,Maryland. Wauseon 2016 spotlighted the 30-36 VL's this past July. Todd*(Hunting for Harley's) taped a nice row from that event up on the YouTube. Strange and Hilarious that it takes celebrities and reality TV shows to get people to look into an ancient Bad Ass motorcycle like the VL's--or any other unknown??Motorcycle they might desire or feature!!!

Comment

My wife has already said that I'll be watching the "Harley, and the Davidsons" by myself. She says that my inevitable moaning, and groaning, and hysterical rants about revisionist B.S. motorcycle history will be more than she wants to hear. . . She knows me too well
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          My wife has already said that I'll be watching the "Harley, and the Davidsons" by myself. She says that my inevitable moaning, and groaning, and hysterical rants about revisionist B.S. motorcycle history will be more than she wants to hear. . . She knows me too well
          That is too funny. I plan on recording it so I can fast forward through the crap. I didn't realize it was filmed in Romania of all places and by a London company to boot. It looks, from the trailers I've seen, like a lot is computer generated. Time will tell.

Comment

I agree, when i looked at the 2 min. promo, it looked animated with the usual dramatization hype effects! Just thought i'd hip everyone slightly interested in watching it to maybe pull a few giggles out of it. Would be hell if the whole 6hrs. turned out to be unwatchable--haha. It reminds me of the old SpeedVision series with Larry Myers, which i believe was on for 2hrs. every Tuesday. You'd have to tape that and find the good parts also.

Comment

Maybe I'll eat my words, but at my age I've been disappointed too many time by Hollywood, and their brethren. Writers of the printed word from Austen, to Zola have gotten it right; but when some idiot with a camera tries to interpret it, and put it on film - forget it. Writing, and film making are two different animals and both can be great mediums but obviously, film makers are the worst sinners when it comes to integrity, honesty, or authenticity; I mean, just look at network news. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong about the H-D t.v. show because it would be nice to see an honest attempt at an artistic/historic representation of Harley-Davidson's incredible history.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                Maybe I'll eat my words, but at my age I've been disappointed too many time by Hollywood, and their brethren. Writers of the printed word from Austen, to Zola have gotten it right; but when some idiot with a camera tries to interpret it, and put it on film - forget it. Writing, and film making are two different animals and both can be great mediums but obviously, film makers are the worst sinners when it comes to integrity, honesty, or authenticity; I mean, just look at network news. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong about the H-D t.v. show because it would be nice to see an honest attempt at an artistic/historic representation of Harley-Davidson's incredible history.
                What a stick-in-the-mud!

Of course I won't bother to watch it either: Short attention span.

But bless them,.. if it stimulates the industry at all.

....Cotten
                PS: Still haven't seen "The World's Fastest Indian" either. Don't have to.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-30-2016, 05:02 PM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Who's the stick in the mud, Tom?
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Watching the trailer I see they claim the first bike was built in the shed. Untrue. It was built in the basement. The shed hadn't been built yet. I also noticed they had the first bikes painted Gray, which is also wrong.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Dear Chris, I guess it will be like a visit to the Harley Museum and meant for family entertainment rather than hard core rivet counters like us. Harley-Davidson must surely have been consulted, so I'd expect something relentlessly upbeat. I still like the trailers though, and will be watching the whole thing as soon as I can.

Comment

The latest edition of Harley’s HOG magazine (Issue 036) contains an article about this “fictional dramatization”. HOG even quoted the director as saying “Really it’s a story about the children of immigrants creating their own slice of the American dream”. According to the article, the film crew did a lot of research at the museum and archives. It was also noted that South African Alex Wheeler built and maintained the bikes for the set. Sounds like the series will be more entertaining and factual! We'll have to wait and see how Hollywood portrays their research.
                        William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                        http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

If only they had read Herb Wagner's book "At The Creation" they would have got a better grip on the subject.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                            . . . .

....Cotten
                            PS: Still haven't seen "The World's Fastest Indian" either. Don't have to.
                            See it. I cried. :-/
                            Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I'm not up on the origins of Harley and the founders as a lot on this forum. It's an entertaining show though. My grandson loves it. He said "Indian sucks". We had to talk about language and the difference between Hollywood and reality. Didn't want to get into the origins of sucking with a 9 year old!

What bugs me is when they show these vintage bikes, and the carb looks like a Mikuni with a metal box around it. It's like when they show a 4 stroke bike on TV and the sound is of a 2 stroke. Just irks me a little. With all the effort that goes into these props, it seems like they could slap on a Linkert for a close up.

Comment

Working...
                              X