No announcement yet.

1912 H-D 49" Belt Drive Twin Model X-8-D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When comparing a twin cylinder belt tensioning quadrant gear to a singles quadrant gear there is a difference. The difference is the location of the quadrant gear teeth rotated CCW approximately two teeth away from the arm carrying the idler pulley . This change is due to the pivot point location of each bikes quadrant gear hand lever. I have a unit for a single cylinder model. It would appear that a trip to the wire EDM shop is necessary to remove the gear teeth and then to the welder to reattach it where it needs to be for the twin cylinder application.

I also had to shorten the link bar between the clutch lever and the throw out bearing about one and a half inches to convert the single cylinder part to twin status.

Next conversion is to determine the pedal crank modification required to extend the pedal sprocket about 7/16 further away from the centerline of the bike to align the chain with the rear wheel sprocket.

Does anyone have a twin cylinder model belt tensioning quadrant or left crank arm?

Joe

Comment

I build 1912 tanks and tool boxes and have nice originals. Get ahold of me and I'll get you the measurement you need.
      Jethro Smith
      antiquemotosmith.com
      antiquemotosmith@gmail.com
      all early seats & Gas tanks

Comment

Slojo
        I've got a postcard that shows an early HD twin without guard valances.
        I've attached both a greyscale and a colour copy.
        If you want better copies I'll laser photocopy it and post them to you.
        Lets know your thoughts.
        Attached Files
        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777
        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Tommo

Good to see your still on the job. The photos that you posted are of a 1911 double model 7-D not a 1912 twin model X-8-D , still very good photos. I do have a 1911 double so any photos of that bike are interesting to me.

By the way, a factory brochure for 1912 displays two 1912 singles on the cover without the valances on the front fenders.

joe
          Last edited by Slojo; 05-20-2012, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
              Does anyone know who the owner of this bike is?

joe

Comment

Here are pics of JP's 12 twin chain drive. Unfortunately, I didn't take more than these when I was at the museum in Anamosa as I was in a hurry. If you call them, they may take some for you. Probably not what you want, because it's chain drive. I have some pics of a belt drive somewhere...

Last edited by silentgreyfello; 05-22-2012, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Nice!!!!

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                  X