This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eustis 2012 - Should it move?

I have not seen this in writing, but the word on the ground is that the Sunshine Chapter is quitting Eustis in favor of the Silver Sands Bridle Club. The link to the Silver Sands is below. Your thoughts?

http://www.silversands.org/index.php?&MMN_position=1:1
    Bruce Palmer III
    AMCA #667

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson

How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

If they do move, it will go the way of the old "Daytona swap meet" at the volusia cty fairgrounds.........down the toilet. Volusia county will be right there with their hand out to get thier 250.00 sales tax licence fee from every vendor on the grounds.....and then the state tax people will collect the sales tax before you leave...etc etc.. Fuel costs have already made it hard for most people to drive there, this would be the straw to break the camels' back. Many of us vendors used to sell parts at bike week for 2 weeks straight, at different venues.....now Eustis is alll that's left that you can turn a profit at. Yeah, lets get a bunch of drunk, yuppie a-holes to come to a meet thats "closer to the action" in Daytona, I'm sure they'll buy alot of part from us..........I dont sell do-rags, goggles, and stickers.

Who comes up with this stupid sh_t anyway? Are some newbees in charge who don't know how this stuff works? The Viking chapter killed thier own meet by trying to get "closer to the action" in St paul, and now, like......6 vendors show up. I heard at wauseon they (viking chapter) were talking about trying to get Farmington back again....which will take several years to build back up to where it was 5 years ago, but it will be good again.

Maybe I should rent the Eustis Fairgrounds myself, once the AMCA is gone from there, and we all can continue on like it was, while the Sunshine Chapter goes and recruits members from the "Hog Chapter" wanna be's in Volusia county.

Do ya really wonder what I think?

Comment

Doesn't a move have to be approved by the chapters BOD?
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

One vendor at Wauseon told me it was already moved? Never been there, and most likely never will, so I didn't pay real close attention, but I thought that is what she said. She and her husband still planned to be there, at least for now.
        Mike

Comment

I can totally see where you're coming from Tom. It seems to be the goal of some people to make a "change" to make things "better". Why take something that works and risk ruining it? We are creatures of habit and the pursuit of progress is not always the best thing for us and our hobby/liveliehood. At some point in time I would like to make it to Eustis to get a break from winter but as you said a bunch of drunken "yuppies" doesn't really turn me on.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

This is the first I've heard about leaving Eustis. I agree with Tom Faber, that if it's true, it would be another stupid move by the Sunshine chapter and would probably change, if not kill the Florida meet. Volusia county will kill any motorcycle meet with their greed, ignorance, and paranoid police tactics. Being close to Daytona is not a positive thing; quite the opposite. A good Florida meet should be in a quiet little town that gives AMCA members a low stress escape from work, winter, and the usual Florida tourist traps.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,

I was approached at Wauseon by other concerned vendors who are talking about a petition, or something to try to get the attention of those making the decisions. And by Vendors, I'm not talking about guys that clean out their garage and bring parts to the meet, or guys that get a vending spot to get in early......but guys that have been making their livings by manufacturing parts, and finding and bringing nos parts to the public to help people with their motorcycle hobby.

I think there has been enough precedent set in the last few years, with Rhinebeck, and the St Paul MN meet, that when Vendors aren't able to do well at a meet.....they will quit coming, and the public will soon follow.

I started to wonder if the Sunshine Chapter members acually lived in Florida, because I thought everyone down there knew about the Volusia County greed, running all the bikeweek activities off. Alot of the Bikeweek action has moved to Orlando because it was so bad there.

Comment

Eustice is just fine.

Don't sneeze in V. County you will be arrested. I do not wish to spend any time in V county the regulations and law is out of control. Many venders in Wauseon said they will not go to V. County , these are the people I go to see and buy parts form for my builds.

If the change is made I will need to find another sunny location in the middle of the winter not Florida as it is always over regulated.

If there is problems with Eustice, work them out, don't creat new ones.

Joe

Comment

Joe, Chris, It's already a done deal. They passed out the info @ Wauseon on Sunshine Chapter buisness cards.

Comment

OK, so the cat appears out of the bag. There is always someone opening their mouth before the facts and figures are out.
                    Lets look at what we know. First, AMCA meets need rejuvinating. Gentleman, if you haven't read the last magazine issue, you will see as a club we are DYING. The average age is almost 60 years old. There had been an effort in the past to exclude many makes if they weren't USA made. We need to appeal to a younger crowd that isn't just Indian/Harley. Changing the venue to closer to Daytona will do more to freshen the meet than anything else. We will be in a PRIVATE facility. Yes, there are potential fee/tax issues, but if they can not be resolved, we will stay where we are in Eustis. Now, for those who think they really know so much, please realize the fairgrounds has been SCREWING us for years on costs, etc. They have been intolerant of letting us in when we want in. The farmers market is more important than we are. They find more ways to squeeze the club than you realize. All this goes away with the move. Additionally, the area is New Smyrna, NOT Daytona. Additionally, we are seeking and getting the cooperation of law enforecment.
                    The new facility has 24 motorhome/camping electrical and water hookups [no sewer], with four of those hookups being 50 amp for larger coaches. The size of the facility dwarfs Eustis. There are actually MANY complaints about Eustis. There are also more shower facilites and covered areas at the new venue. The move has been proposed to the AMCA board for final approval. We are trying to make things happen. Is this a new crew doing this? Partly, but nothing has been done so far without studying the entire thing from a business point of view, not an ungrounded, emotional one. There will be more room for venders, not less. We will have earlier entrance to the facility. It still is in the country where riding is not hassled[note, it is right near Doc Batsleers place for those who know Doc]. It is close to motels, eateries, and just close enough to Daytona to be convenient, but not fall under the radar of Daytona. We can not be stuck in the mold "this is how it always has been". That is exactly what is wrong with AMCA today. So don't judge until all the facts, figures, crossed t's and dotted i's are in. Marty

Comment

"Now, for those who think they really know so much"

I'm assuming that means me.

Marty, I'm going to assume that you have never been a vendor in Volusia county.........I have, for many years, as well as maybe hundreds of other AMCA vendors that HAVE. You will find out that in the end, we really DO "know so much".

What are you going to do about Volusia county's ordinance about not allowing out of state sales of motor vehicles? What about the vending license? Just because the club is not for profit, the county's law for vending license of 385.00 per vendor will still apply to all of us who are "for profit" businesses. Also the state sales tax people will be there with their hand out at the end of the day wanting sales tax immediately. Maybe you ought to call Paul Jackson, who promoted "Daytona's biggest swap meet" , and find out how Volusia Countys crooked politics ruined his meet.

Do what you think you need to do, but I can guarantee a move will be a disaster.

PS, the "cat is out of the bag" because your own chapter people approached us at Wauseon with printed material...........obviously you were looking for feedback...here it is.
                      Last edited by fabercycle; 07-18-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Marty,

I just re-read your post, and the problems you mention at Eustis are minimal, and are things that can (and should) be worked out. I've never seen the Eustis fairgrounds full to capacity, waiting to get in isn't the end of the world, squeezing the chapter for more money?....I heard that Eustis was always profitable..........and if you want to bring in younger people, you need to "market the meet" to them, not move it closer and hope they notice. I can assure you, I will not be the only one to express concern about the move.
                        Last edited by fabercycle; 07-18-2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

My prospective is V. County preys on motorcyclists. V. County will pull over every antique motorcycle for head light violations or what ever they can make up. Then V. County will wright as many violations as possible, haul away your bike put you in jail for two hours take your money and let you walk away without a bike. Speaking from experience.

Many of our older antique motorcycles are marginally on the legal side as it is.

I buy from venders who show up if they are not there than I won't be there either.

I must side with the venders on this issue they are the people who bring the parts I come to purchase not the "AMCA Board"

"Jail House Joe"
                          (Doc Batselers nick name for me after my last jail bail out in V. County) .

Comment

As mentioned earlier, if the concerns can not be addressed, the meet will not move. I am well aware of Volusia county antics. Yes, we were looking for feedback at Wauseon. We are getting it both ways. Any legitimate concern will be addressed. As mentioned, if issues cloud the business plan, we will not move. This is one reason for the use of private property. There are legal issues being visited. The folks involved have been coming to the meet from when it was in Volusia years ago and are aware of vending issues, so there are no rookies involved. This was a club board level decision.
                            The tax issue has always loomed over in Lake County as well. It has been a ticking time bomb, and there have been incidents there before as well, so don't think for a minute you are safe in Lake County from the tax man. You have always been legally liable for sales tax there. The key issue will be vender fees, and if it can be implemented on private property. Be patient. The group isn't stupid. Nothing will be done if there isn't an upside that makes it worth while. The Lake County Fairgrounds could really care less about our concerns, so don't think for a minute there hasn't been attempts to improve things there. There just is no future there.
                            Yes, money has been made, but is has gotten harder as Lake County continues to nickel and dime us. The new venue solves that issue with better arrangements overall at roughly half the cost. Will continue to report as the info becomes available. No plans to have the issues of Rhinebeck or other meets you have mentioned. We need another venue, period, and will do everything possible to make it happen. Marty

Comment

Marty, your quote "this is a club board dicision" should be clarified. This may be a dicision from your Local Chapter Board, but has nothing from the National Board.
                              Thanks, RF.

Comment

Working...
                              X