Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps an alternative to remodeling the typical AMCA meet in an attempt to attract a younger group of (prospective) enthusiasts is to take aspects of the AMCA to events where the younger enthusiasts congregate. Rocky and Matt did so about two years ago at the Limpnickie Lot at the skate park in Daytona after the Sunshine Meet that year with encouraging results.

I know that there are AMCA members, thinking that preservation of these older bikes should be focused on restoration, who completely disapprove of the building of the modified bikes that many of the young folks are doing. However, I am certain that there are older current AMCA members, myself included, who in our younger years chopped up motorcycles that they and I had no business whacking on. I am equally certain that over time, if these young guys are exposed to our more-or-less original bikes that they will develop an understanding of what we are all about and want to participate in our events.

It is like the old saying, "If the mountain (the younger folks) will not come to Mohammed (the AMCA), Mohammed must go to the mountain.
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

[QUOTE=exeric;111647]
      Originally posted by Phil Mast View Post
      I'm not sure I agree with the idea that our club will "die off" if we don't solicit youth at large metro meets. That thinking sits cross-ways with me. ...... no matter how old I am, "and the survey says" , and what the survey means. .. besides, I'll be dead, ...

I sure agree with that Phil. Why do people think our club needs to "sell" our our motorcycle passion to the young. Motorcycles have always sold themselves to the young, and if this next generation isn't interested (i.e. insane) about motorcycles then this will become a world that none of us would want to live in. I could understand if we were trying to interest the youth of tomorrow in health and fitness; I mean, how boring is that, but MOTORCYCLES! I think we need to keep it like it is because if we (the walking dead) still think it's fun, kids will think it's fun. Youth may lack experience but they aren't stupid. If we pander to some phoney vision of what kids like, they'll run the other way.
      I would have to agree with both Phil and Eric on this one. We can't knock the young folks down and drag them into the meets. I also don't believe that the younger crowd aren't into old bikes. It was just a couple of weeks ago that I was among a group of young folks that attended an annual vintage bike event that I go to. They were truly into the old bikes and could be seen at the display area scouring over a machine trying to figure out all the details. They rode in on mostly older Japanese bikes with a handfull of older Harleys to spice things up. I ran into one young guy I had met before who had previously showed up on a Knuck... ('46 if I remember correctly and handed down from his father...) This year he came in on some form of Honda but was excited to tell of how his WR racer was coming together. One young guy spent quite a bit of time circling my Panhead and asking questions. I took the time to answer what he wanted to know and he left with a smile on his face. I am guilty however of not mentioning the AMCA while talking with these kids. Perhaps if I had, a few new "young" members could have been recruited. I'm thinking that if we find ourselves in similar situations that mentioning the club just might bring a few more younger folks into the mix. Aside from that I don't have much in the way of solutions. As far as Eustis moving.... it's sounding to me like the vendors aren't for it and without them.... well... everyone knows what that means.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

When young folks can AFFORD an antique motorcycle then they will be interested.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Believe me Chris... I was interested LONG before I could afford one.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Funny how this went from Florida to youth. I don't really want to touch the Florida thing, that is at the CHAPTER LEVEL. But on the Youth thing; we strive to welcome them, and hopefully support the future of our passions.
            I'm involved with a lot of vintage stuff, not just bikes. The same questions are heard amongst the Auburn, Cord, & Duesenberg set with their iron. Seems over half the kids who inheret these treasures could care less about them, despite their being a sentimental part of the family even!
            Yes, gearheaded-ness is something that one is born with, although we still try and sway youth our way.
            However, according to the latest batch of engineer whiz-kids (in their 30s) who are on my race car team, we better start worrying about our own asses, right now! Here in the big City, (San Francisco), we have a militant bicycle coalition, and huge surge toward hybred & electric cars. Formula 1 racing is graduating to electric technology in a huge way, as well as most forms of racing, motorcycles included. These kids are claiming that electric stuff will be in ALL of our futures within 5-10 years, and leaning more toward 5.
            Every vintage club is reaching out to it's youth, but there are more issues intertwined that my spell the end of the scene than we know, or even understand.
            In our big city, I drive a '33 Ford PU every day, and sometimes a rusty old '76 Toyota PU (a freebe). Of the few kids, or people who even take a slight notice, guess which truck gets the most attention? It's the Toyota!
            But, when I ride a vintage bike around in the our modern, trendy city, guess what I get? People holding their noses, and covering their ears!
            It's time we all stick together to help our passions survive. Check out the HVA (Historic Vehicle Association) sponsored here in North America by Hagerty Insurance. It's an extention of FIVA that is in the rest of the World.
            Merry Motoring, RF.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
              Believe me Chris... I was interested LONG before I could afford one.

Yes Cory I can recall at times walking past the long line of chrome to look and drool at an old suvivor
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Hey RF or any board member, don't the board vote for the meets at Eustis for the next year? If so, does that mean the 2012 schedule is already set? Let us know.
                Louie
                FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

"when I ride a vintage bike around in the our modern, trendy city, guess what I get? People holding their noses, and covering their ears!"

Believe me Fred, that is uniquely....a California attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    You're the hip magazine publisher Buzz. You tell us what kids like. Should we all wear baggy pants down below our butt crack, and play hip hop music on a P.A. at all the national meets? I hate to be so cynical but short of dragging people off the street; you can't make people like what you like. I contend, there is not a member in our club that wouldn't gladly share their knowledge and enthusiasim for old motorcycles with young people. For whatever reason, young people are not at our meets. Are we doing something wrong? Are we guilty of keeping young people away?

Buzz, I'm getting a bit tired of hearing people say us old, dying, selfish bastards are killing the AMCA. I'm open minded; and I would really like to hear constructive ideas that could make this club more accessable to young people. And while you're at it, tell us how to bring the average price of a knucklehead down to 5 grand.
                    Eric - you can wear baggy pants down below your butt crack, and play hip hop music on a P.A. if you want. But I don't think will help the situation much. Ditto on the sarcasm. I joined the club many years ago because I had and still have a passion for the old iron. And my passion is not limited only to Harleys and Indians. Yet too often I get the feeling that too often the attitude is not about sharing and growing the club but "how do I buy what I need cheap" or "make some money flipping bikes and parts." Guys like Faber are very giving and supportive of the hobby. Guys like Matt Olsen are into trying to grow the hobby to old and youngsters. We need more people like them here if this club is to survive.

As for cheaper Knucks... well I can't help you there.

Does the club have flyers or other marketing materials club members can hand out at various non-AMCA events? I am going to Mountainfest next weekend with some old Harleys - one will be displayed, and I will be racing the other one on the closed street course in Morgantown, WV. I'd be happy to hand out marketing pieces and flyers to old and young people there. I know this is not THE solution, but it might be part of one.

Oh, and while I am at it, the regular bickering and in-fighting here on this forum can't help either.
                    Buzz Kanter
                    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

I think I was a bit out of line Buzz so I apologize for the venom.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Buzz:

I won't be able to make Mountainfest, but I can send you a supply of AMCA brochures to distribute (they include a membership app). Send me a PM with the appropriate address and I'll get them right off to you.

Bill Wood

Comment

Firstly I would like to thank anybody that has been involved in putting on the Eustis meet, I have enjoyed going there for over 10 years since I first stumbled upon it by accident when visiting bike week. I personally would like to see it stay where it is but it’s up to the host chapter and its members to decide what they want to do.
                          If one of the reasons for moving the meet is in fact to increase the attendance of non members then advertising the existence of the meet might be more beneficial, lots of people that visit bike week are looking for a destination for a ride out.
                          Encouraging new members to join is a good idea but I do not feel we should broaden or change the identity off our club in order to attract more members or the elusive youth, they will come when they are ready or not at all, why is there so much obsession and fixation on trying to maintain or increase the membership .Is the club really going to die? I joined this club because I liked the meets, I liked what the club was about, and I enjoyed meeting like minded people all with a common interest in old bikes. I did not join the club because of its size.
                          What would the consequences actually be if over the years the membership dropped by a half or even to a quarter of its present size? I’m sure this was a great club to be a member off when it only had 2000 members we might have less or smaller meets, we might have less road runs, we might not be able to maintain the high quality of the magazine. We might have to cut back on some of the more costly aspects of maintaining the club, less interest in old bikes might mean the value of the bikes I own might go down. None of these scenarios would affect my enjoyment of being a member of this club or my enjoyment of riding old bikes.
                          Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Hello Pete, I very much remember bringing a frame for your approveal to the Eustis meet 10 years ago, then later when you and Tina had the ELC Judged for the first time, I took quite a few pictures of the event. All of the meets bring people together with a common bond, we make new friends, share life experences, and like you, some have a great influence over the direction the club takes. You and Steve took the best of the things of the club structure, across the pond and expanded the AMCA to new levels.

I very much agree with your post in general, But the National By-laws should be honered by the local chapters so that we have stability across all National events hosted by local chapters.

I want to thank all the host chapter volunteers, who spend their time and effort in behalf of us Vendor's, and this year at Eustis was one of the most well organized yet, sum total.
                            Shelby and Gloria

Comment

Pete that was one well put post, well said....
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                                I think I was a bit out of line Buzz so I apologize for the venom.
                                Apology gladly accepted and thank you for being the stand up guy I always thought you are.
                                Buzz Kanter
                                Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                                [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                                [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X