Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Parker View Post
      Everybody should have one of these in the garage. I figure that painted lines?
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

• Line Painter

That line painter is quite the rig. It looks like they just bolted the whole painting platform to the back of 35 ServiCar, it still has the tow bar on the front fork. The sprocket for the final drive appears to be bolted to the original servi brake drum and axle. The thing that puzzles me is that the engine seems to be a VL. Any guesses?
        mike

Comment

• looks like an Indian - look at front fork, horn and no shift/shifter gate on fuel tank

aka HAWG
          1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
          1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
          1940 indian chief military
          1965 sportster xlch
          1969 sportster xlch bobber
          1971 bsa A65 chopper
          1969 harley ss350 sprint
          1960 harley topper
          1963 harley topper
          H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
          H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
          1949 harley model 125 bobber project
          1959 harley model 165
          1960 harley super 10
          1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
          EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

• aint that air horn injun to?
            1946 chief 1948 chief 1948 wl 1950wl 1941ulwith sidecar 47 chief(in the works)65bsa

Comment

• Dispatch Tow

Now that I actually looked at it a little closer you're right Hawg, its an Injun Dispatch Tow. Same deal though, they just took the box off and stuck the line painting rig on the back.

Comment

• Line Painter

My guess, its a Goulding commercial unit attachment to the Indian dispatch tow! I wonder what would happen if you pop the clutch-that rear end looks a little heavy!! Probably make for a crooked line-BPK!!!

Comment

• I believe it's a Chief with a Goulding rear car attached. Scouts of that vintage didn't use that front fork and it has a full rigid frame.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

• Its a Traffic Car isn't it. Jerry

Comment

• did indian make a traffic car with a cheif set up ??? or is this a major mod at the factory or elsewere???

aka hawg
                      1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                      1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                      1940 indian chief military
                      1965 sportster xlch
                      1969 sportster xlch bobber
                      1971 bsa A65 chopper
                      1969 harley ss350 sprint
                      1960 harley topper
                      1963 harley topper
                      H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                      H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                      1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                      1959 harley model 165
                      1960 harley super 10
                      1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                      EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

• I was looking at the Goulding "Gouldcar" that attatched to the Chief and it is different. The Goulding setup used a drive shaft and right angle drive unit. The picture that Scott posted has a counter shaft with chain and the frame looks a bit more "homebuilt" than the Goulding. I seem to recall the Traffic Car that Jerry Wieland mentioned and he's probably correct. Jerry Hatfield would know.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

• Dispatch Tows were Scout based and Traffic Cars were Chief based. To make a Traffic Car Indian built a special rear drive unit that fit in the rear of the Chief frame the same way that a wheel and brake did. I believe it even used the stock brake and linkage. The only way you can tell a Chief frame from a Traffic Car frame is that the frame serial number is punched in at the seatpost instead of the rear frame stay - no serial number difference that I am aware of.

Jerry

Comment

• Here is a Goulding kit on a HD knucklehead that was at Davenport this year. Chain drive to a 90 degree gearbox and then a shaft to the rearend.

I don't think the Chief needed a gearbox as it seems to drive from the Traffic Car rear.

Jerry

Comment

• I'm a little late on this as Jerry seems to have pegged it. It definitely looks like a circa '36 ish Traffic Car with a mod or two for line paintin'....... Cool pic Scott!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• I hate to change the subject but I found this pic today in a stack of photos at a local antique store. Any ideas? I've got a theory but I haven't followed it up. On the back is a hardly legible name and then "sitting in a sidecar pointing to Dublin".

Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X