No announcement yet.

old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like they had aftermarket parts even back then.
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
      Just curious,the photo with the dog in the sidecar,is it common for the speedometer to be mounted to the handlebars this is the first time I can recall seeing one mounted there I thought that they were always mounted to the fuel tank.

Also it is driven from the front wheel seems that I have only saw photos of them driven from the rear wheel.
      It wasn't uncommon in the teens. Even the venerable Corbin offered a front wheel drive setup for a while ... Perry
      Attached Files

Comment

• I love to see discussion on this stuff..... Rooster, I tried to enlarge the can but it blurs out on me. It could very well be Marvel Mystery Oil but I don't recall a can of that shape. I wonder what the oil can collectors think? Like Eric said, what real use would it be to pour something down the plug hole with a primers available? For all I know it could be Snake Oil.. Likely an ad photo and we know those images can be Hollywood in nature.... The Ace was pretty fast alright but I'd be rootin' for that Harley....

Chuck, you could be onto something with that speedo setup. It does look a little out of place doesn't it? Aftermarket? Did anyone take note of the writing on the tank in that pic? Looks like she's gearing up for a big trip!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• Thanks Perry! You saved me some picture diggin'!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• I don't know fellas I think we need to work on one of these.......... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics...n-36725938.htm
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• I don't think it's MMO in the can. A little digging, and I found this:

Burt Pierce founded the Marvel Oil Company in 1923. His reputation for ingenuity preceded him as he was already well-known for inventing the Marvel Carburetor, standard equipment on 80% of all vehicles produced after World War I.

Since the photo probably predates 1923, that would rule out MMO.

Comment

• Thanks Perry I never knew that,don't recall ever seeing a picture with one before.

Cory,I tried to enlarge the photo also but it blured for me also, did you notice in the back ground there are some cars in the back ground I knew a guy years back that was about 20 years or more older his father had a garage in Pittsburgh Pa and he rented space for people to store their cars and motorcycles inside out of the weather wonder if she was doing the same?
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

• My take on the picture is that those are "daddy's" cars ( father or sugar daddy, take your pick) in the carriage house. Sweet young thing with a brand new Harley . Could be a staged publicity shot too.

Comment

• That's a good piece of info. I'm not up enough on my fuel/oil product history. Thanks for lookin' it up Rooster! Now to just figure out what the can in the pic is.....

Chuck, you could well be right on the storage idea. The building does look sturdy I was wondering about it being a garage or dealership?
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                      My take on the picture is that those are "daddy's" cars ( father or sugar daddy, take your pick) in the carriage house. Sweet young thing with a brand new Harley . Could be a staged publicity shot too.
                      Another plausible theory...... Got any idea what's in that can Barry?
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

• photo 2 & 3

Originally posted by c.o. View Post

Cory,
                        Are the photo's 2 & 3 from Pohlman studios ?, They look like the north side of Jeanue Ave. plant and in front of the employees parking garage north of the main plant next to the guard shack.
                        Ken S., # 6457
                        1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
                        1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

• Ken, they were just random pics I found. I don't have any info on them. Some of the pics I post I can provide some background but these one's.... well, I'm in the dark. If your familiar with Milwaukee and Juneau Ave in particular then you may be on to something... I'll have to go through my factory shots and see if we can piece this together. Thanks for your input!
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

• I'm wondering why this bike has Around the World on the gas tank?
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• Yeah, me too. Is it promo-hype? Or did it go on tour? So many questions......
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• Hey Eric! I forgot to ask. Is that J-Model of 1916 vintage? I'm assuming there's a kickstart hiding behind that gals skirt........
                                Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X