old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Motorcycles Norway

Workshop interior, is this an early Excelsior that is getting an overhaul?

Sverre
    http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
    And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
    This is a great theory.
    If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
      Have you ever wondered why Floyd Clymer suddenly left Denver for CA?
      I had heard Floyd Clymer did jail time in Colorado.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
        first guess is English lightweight Humber circa 1910
        That's either a tiny motorcycle or a really big man.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

• [QUOTE=sveger;85725]I am not that sure that this little bike is "Made in America" but still, any hint what make this is is apprechiated.

Sverre

Sverre, I am equally intrigued by what appears to be a grave headstone in the near background of the photo. Or perhaps a road marker?? Any idea what that is? And what about the woodpile, stacked so nicely--- appears to be green lumber 'air-stacked' to dry out. The photo is fascinating to me, not only the antique motorcycle, but that it's also from Norway... is that right? Any thoughts?

Comment

• Cool shots of the early "Enthusiast" Barry! I crave that racing stuff! Thanks!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• As always Sverre great pics! Your mystery bike pics can keep a fella on his toes. I think Barry is close with his estimate on the Humber but I think in 1910 the fuel tank was tapered at both ends. Looks like it's time to drag out the motorsickle encyclopedias!!!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                he wanted to live in the land of fruits, nuts and flakes!
                Have you ever stopped to consider that the fruits, nuts, and flakes in CA may well be immigrants from other states?
                Every year after the Rose Parade is shown in snowbound states a few hundred thousand immigrants pour in from the frozen states.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• American Motorcycles Norway

Rooster,
                  I have not been able to figure what this stone is. It is not a grave stone, that is for sure and neither a road sign. Our road signs back then where either of stone or in cast iron. But their layout was different. If when I go at smaller gravel roads away from town I find these old road signs still, that is really cool when driving a periodic motorcycle.

The planks are stacked for drying as well as they stay straight the way they are laid. Every farm being owner of land next to even the smallest river had their own saw and mill.
                  I would say that in my region this is where they first started with various larger mechanical equipment at the end of the 1800`s. This again led to growth in the mechanical industry and there where many local shops doing even quite advanced foundry work.
                  As is today those old saws and mills rotten apart and falls down which is a shame as they are an important piece of our history. When I go hunting for old motorcycles, parts ore related those places are where to go as an old motorcycle could be taken apart and used for various appliances.
                  I have found Harley gearboxes used in home made drilling machines and even a Pope V-twin used as air compressor. Wheels where often used with a long rope or chain to bring the saw dust out of the building, have found several clincher wheels this way. Then of course there are stationary engines too as many saws didn’t get electricity until late sixties.

The building next to our motorcycle fella is a traditional Norwegian farm house that is still found in many places. Those where made is such a way that they still stand after 800 to 1000 years since built. At a farm close to where I live there is a couple of those houses from 1100-1200. To make the timber “ever lasting” they climbed the three and cut of the top, then they waited two generations before they cut the entire three down. This was now impregnated by nature.
                  This was not very motorcycle related, but interesting still (my opinion).

The motorcycle could very well be a Humber, they did sell some European bikes in the very early years of motorcycling, this before the big solid American bikes took the market around 1912-1914.

Sverre
                  And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                  This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

• Thank-you, Sverre, for that explanation. Yes, it is VERY interesting to me also--- and I think it IS motorcycle related, as your narative gives an interesting insight into the very history of all we see in the photo--- including the motorcycle and it's owner. Perhaps this motorcycle was the family's first mode of 'motorized' transportation with which to make 'the trip to town'.

Comment

• I too find these aspects of history very interesting . Thanks

Comment

• Old wooden houses!!!!?

Glad you guys enjoyed my writing in my previous reply. I take the risk in posting a link to one of my fav. wooden buildings, Urnes Stav kirke, wich is one of our oldest churches dated to ca 1100;
                        http://www.touristphoto.no/sof%205a.htm
                        This is an awesome building and beeing inside there make you feel very small in an historic aspect.

Here is another one of my favorite buildings, and one of my favorite motorcycles. The picture itself is not old, but the rest is. This building is ca 1350 something. Inside there is a collection of murder weapons collected as evidence by the local police for a couple of hundred years. There is a lot of cool old stuff wich is non-motorcycle too:-)

Sverre
                        This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

• Outstanding, Sverre! Thank-you for posting. That church, the Urnes Stavkirke, is a truly remarkable structure! And to think of it's actual age is mind-boggling! Your country is most picturesque and very beautiful!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                            Have you ever stopped to consider that the fruits, nuts, and flakes in CA may well be immigrants from other states?
                            Every year after the Rose Parade is shown in snowbound states a few hundred thousand immigrants pour in from the frozen states.
                            once again I am reminded of your earlier post of the fact that your family was also immigrants to the fruit and nut state - ya ya ya I know YOU were born there but still an IMMIGRATE (mind you a 2nd generation immigrant) unless your president has the right to change that too

aka HAWG
                            Last edited by aka HAWG; 10-11-2009, 01:18 PM. Reason: cause I can
                            1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                            1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                            1940 indian chief military
                            1965 sportster xlch
                            1969 sportster xlch bobber
                            1971 bsa A65 chopper
                            1969 harley ss350 sprint
                            1960 harley topper
                            1963 harley topper
                            H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                            H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                            1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                            1959 harley model 165
                            1960 harley super 10
                            1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                            EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

• Originally posted by aka HAWG View Post
                              once again I am reminded of your earlier post of the fact that your family was also immigrants to the fruit and nut state - ya ya ya I know YOU were born there but still an IMMIGRATE (mind you a 2nd generation immigrant) unless your president has the right to change that too

aka HAWG

I don't have a President. Nor did I vote for the jerk in office who is sending us to ruin.
                              My Father came here during the great depression because his cousin had a job waiting for him. Yes he had family here. My mother came here in the 1920's when she was a child. Her father was in the realty and investment business and came here to sell family land in the San Joaquin Valley. I was born here and hopefully will spend the rest of my days here. My son was also born here.
                              I spent thirteen years traveling this great country to find a place to build my retirement home. I looked in 46 states. Seven States have no income tax, a great incentive. Some states have no sales tax. Some states have mountain ranges and others don't. Some states have terrible winters. Others have brutal summers. Some are flat and boring. Weather is a big factor to me. I couldn't find anyplace where I would rather be.
                              The only reason I can see why people make fun of California is strictly out of jealously. Good riding weather year round. The 11th richest economy in the world. Scenic natural wonders, the nations highest producer of agriculture, and millions of tourists from other states come here and leave their money. If you don't like it here that is fine. But I don't understand the ignorance of making fun of a place that millions of people would give their left nut to live in.
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• I like California, and I also like both my nuts. Whatever will I do....?!!

Comment

Working...
                                X