Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looks like she's packin"

Comment

• Kyle, I believe he was using the watch to time her. There is a way to determine speed via
      time & distance. They use a form of that today called Vascar if I'm correct. You choose
      two stationary objects such as telephone poles, measure the distance between them and then time the vehicle as they drive from pole to pole. I think.

Dick

Comment

• Originally posted by pem View Post
        Kyle, I believe he was using the watch to time her. There is a way to determine speed via
        time & distance. They use a form of that today called Vascar if I'm correct. You choose
        two stationary objects such as telephone poles, measure the distance between them and then time the vehicle as they drive from pole to pole. I think.

Dick
        Like I said. He's shaking her down.
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

• rolled up jeans

Back in the day ('50--'80) blue jean denim was not pre shrunk. Had to buy large ,would draw up 2" in waist and 4' in length. Also as growing child in the '50s would get a few pairs at start of school year, bought extra long so not to grow out of. In the '60s turned cuff under and held up with bobbie pens. Have picture of me at 14 on my first Motor (1962 H-D 175cc Pacer) and you can see about 4" cuff turned under.

STEVE
          Steve Cornish AMCA 6971
          TO MANY CLEVER PEOPLE NOT ENOUGH WISDOM

Comment

• [QUOTE=c.o.;85633]

The girl is Lilian Hauerwas, an early Milwaukee girl rider. Offhand I can't recall her connection with H-D but she may have worked in the office. I think so. She also rode in the early Milwaukee Goodfellowship runs of the teens.

This photo is on p.40 of Willie G.'s book and I wrote that caption. But the editor of the book knew better then me and changed the caption to read: "Lilian Hauer was...."

That made me mad because the name appears wrong in a book that a lot of people own. Honest, the name is Hauerwas!

The can she's pouring from is CARBON REMOVER in case no one else has said that yet. In the book you can see the word "carbon."

Wouldn't you have liked to have known Lilian Hauerwas back then? Early motorcycle girls must have been very cool daring souls.

PS: Ken is right. This is the Harley factory "garage" at Juneau Ave. (38th St.) The cars in there would have belonged to the founders of H-D: Arthur, Walter, Wm. A., & Bill Harley. Upstairs in this garage is where they stored old machines they kept, experimentals, racers, etc., but that were almost all later scrapped, smashed with hammers, etc.
            Last edited by HarleyCreation; 11-02-2009, 12:33 PM.
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post

I guess this one has shown up before too but it's such a good pic!!!

Yep, that's Hap (Uncle Frank) and Steno (Francis Kilbert) again.

Hap had it made. Worked in advertising at H-D, had a desk he could put his feet up on, a very hot steno at his bidding, he got to ride all the new models and then bang out overblown columns glorifying them. Who couldn't handle that? And get PAID for doing it!

BTW, that's a bottle of "liquid inspiration" (moonshine) he's looking at.
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                MY FAVOURITE SNOW MACHINE
                I could put this one to very good use!

Looks like 1930s Germany to me.
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======

Comment

• Originally posted by pem View Post
                  Kyle, I believe he was using the watch to time her. There is a way to determine speed via

Dick
                  A Lot like the 3 foot diameter Round White Spots painted along on the right shoulder of the Interstate system, placed a convenient 1 mile apart.

Anybody Know what the round white spots along the Left shoulder indicate ?
                  William McClean
                  AMCA # 60

Comment

• Indian toboggan

I wanted to share this pic of my great-uncle on his Indian. He wrote
                    "1915" on the back. Love the white shirt and tie....brrrrr!
                    Attached Files

Comment

• That has got to get messy back there. Wonder if they take turns?
                      ------------
                      Steve
                      AMCA #7300

Comment

• Indian motors in wisconsin

Comment

• Lots of cool old Northwest hillclimb and racing photos here. http://www.fortlangley.ca/pepin/DaddyRacing.html#here

Comment

• [QUOTE=HarleyCreation;86535]
                            Originally posted by c.o. View Post

The girl is Lilian Hauerwas, an early Milwaukee girl rider. Offhand I can't recall her connection with H-D but she may have worked in the office. I think so. She also rode in the early Milwaukee Goodfellowship runs of the teens.

This photo is on p.40 of Willie G.'s book and I wrote that caption. But the editor of the book knew better then me and changed the caption to read: "Lilian Hauer was...."

That made me mad because the name appears wrong in a book that a lot of people own. Honest, the name is Hauerwas!

The can she's pouring from is CARBON REMOVER in case no one else has said that yet. In the book you can see the word "carbon."

Wouldn't you have liked to have known Lilian Hauerwas back then? Early motorcycle girls must have been very cool daring souls.

PS: Ken is right. This is the Harley factory "garage" at Juneau Ave. (38th St.) The cars in there would have belonged to the founders of H-D: Arthur, Walter, Wm. A., & Bill Harley. Upstairs in this garage is where they stored old machines they kept, experimentals, racers, etc., but that were almost all later scrapped, smashed with hammers, etc.
                            Great stuff Herb! That cleared up any speculation and yes I would have liked to have known Lilian. I bet some of those gals were quite the characters in their time.

It pains me to think about the fate some of the old bikes came to though. No foresight I guess.
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by 1sportscout View Post
                              I wanted to share this pic of my great-uncle on his Indian. He wrote
                              "1915" on the back. Love the white shirt and tie....brrrrr!
                              Great pic! It's always cool to see winter conversions!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• Great Link Scott! It was good seeing early race pics of Trev Deeley! Thanks!
                                Last edited by c.o.; 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM.
                                Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X