old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bobbyt View Post
    You're right about Ignaz being too old. Assuming the picture was taken when the bike was new, he would have been around 50 at that time. It is possible that Frank would be in the picture, but not likely. The Schwinns weren't very involved with Excelsior at that date.

------------------ Bob Turek
    I know that 1910 pre-dates Schwinn's purchase of Excelsior but I would imagine that Ignaz was very familiar with the company since they were both in Chicago, and I would imagine that it was pretty obvious that he was a major suitor for buying the troubled Excelsior brand. It would be interesting to know more about the pre-purchase history of Excelsior and Henderson and just how, (and how long) Ignaz worked on those deals.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

• Trivia question for you older guys regarding the above picture (sliding female rider)...

Rolled up jeans... start seeing it in old photos around 1950 or so I think.

There had to have been some cultural (Hollywood?) icon that started that trend. Can't think who it was. Pre-dates James Dean. Pre-dates Marlon Brando or Elvis, true? Don't think you see it in pre-WW2 photos.

You can almost date unknown photos by when you see it appear.

What started it? I know..., I wonder about weird sh**.

Comment

• heres one i borrowed from another forum

i like this one you can tell shes having a good time....

Comment

• Originally posted by gary.h View Post
          i like this one you can tell shes having a good time....
          Easy Gary. They will start taxing it!
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

• they are starting to now---called the $15 brass pole tax

Comment

• !!????? brass pole tax???care to elaborate fellas?

Comment

• if you google "strip club tax" you can read a lot about it. it was in the news last week in rhode island as a way to offset decling state tax revenues due to the shortfall of sales in the economy which translates to lower tax revenues overall.
                i was readin a few different blogs about it and bloggers are calling it a "brass pole tax" as opposed to the "poll tax" formerly imposed on men in the 60's. i remember i had to pay that myself. dam that makes me old i guess

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• wonder if the bolt cutters are to be used to remove the chain from the sportster, looks like the one fellow may have lost his keys
                    1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                    1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                    1940 indian chief military
                    1965 sportster xlch
                    1969 sportster xlch bobber
                    1971 bsa A65 chopper
                    1969 harley ss350 sprint
                    1960 harley topper
                    1963 harley topper
                    H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                    H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                    1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                    1959 harley model 165
                    1960 harley super 10
                    1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                    EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

• Caption Contest

How about a caption contest for the Bolt Cutter Trio ?
                      William McClean
                      AMCA # 60

Comment

• Here's some 70's photos a friend put up ... Perry

Comment

• Those are great photographs Perry.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave R View Post
                            Trivia question for you older guys regarding the above picture (sliding female rider)...

Rolled up jeans... start seeing it in old photos around 1950 or so I think.

There had to have been some cultural (Hollywood?) icon that started that trend. Can't think who it was. Pre-dates James Dean. Pre-dates Marlon Brando or Elvis, true? Don't think you see it in pre-WW2 photos.

You can almost date unknown photos by when you see it appear.

What started it? I know..., I wonder about weird sh**.
                            Prior to WW2, how often do you see riders { or anyone } wearing dungarees ? I think think " jeans " popularity increassed after the war.

During the 2nd war, paratrooping came of age. The Paratroopers would tuck in the cuffs of their pants to keep wind from getting in and their trousers riding up as they jumped, giving the ultimate high altitude wedgie.

Racers often wore leggings and this would cut down wind resistance. Racers and the choppers { those who chopped parts off their motorcycles } wolud remove chain guards among other things to cut down on weight and to gain ready access to areas for repair, swapping wheels, etc. The choppers started after the war, became known as bobbers. Chopper phrase usurped during the late 60's

Loose clothing flapping in the breeze in close proximity to unshielded moving chains, gears, spokes and wheels. Did ya never get your paint leg caught in the chain of your bycicle and come to a sudden halt ?

' The Life and Times of Stumpy McGirt, Motorcyclist, Daredevil and OSHA Poster Child ' makes some dang good readin , I tell ya what .
                            William McClean
                            AMCA # 60

Comment

• Those photos were awesome Perry! They took me back to when I was a youngster sitting on the side of the road watching the choppers cruise by and hoping someday I'd have one to ride! I've yet to meet Dave but I'm guessing he's got great stories to tell!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• love them old choppers.thanks
                                www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Working...
                                X