Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower section of advert

Comment

• Hey Lonnie, Don't you have a large collection of early magazines there? I would have thought the answer affirmative considering your resources and endeavours.

Comment

• barry ,thats a great ad.i do have a few early magazines ,but not that one. i think the question is not do any exist ,but rather were any ever sold.look close ,the bike in the ad is the same bike in the original picture.also the ad never says how much major surgery it will take to install this revolutionary new design.its definatly not "bolt on". this is a pretty cool sidenote in the history of the motorcycle aftermarket industry.
        www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• about Blackie Schwinn image, page 52, this thread

It takes awhile to catch up with some of these threads...

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/in...chwinnbike.htm

I am sure there are more timely photos of Mr. Schwinn,
          but consider the older fellow on this web page link.
          I believe Schwinn has his hands on the handlebar and fender
          in the image posted in page 52 of this thread.

...edit: I was way wrong about these fellows. I assumed Ignaz to be "Blackie," but son, Frank may be in the image as Eric Smith suggests...(very interesting subject, though)
          Last edited by rashd; 07-23-2009, 08:04 AM.
          # 5844

Comment

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
            In my opinion, Blackie Schwinn is 3rd from left.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

• I talked to a long time Schwinn bicycle dealer from Florida who knew Blackie Schwinn. He said he was a great guy and saw him every winter when Schwinn vacationed in Florida. He said that Blackie Schwinn had lost an arm in a motorcycle vs. car accident. Now, this is his story but he said that Blackie Schwinn came around a corner on an Excelsior motorcycle and collided with a Packard and the radiator ornament is what mangled his arm so badly that his arm had to be amputated. Interesting story but I don't know if it's true or not.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

• LOOKS LIKE THE GUY WITH HIS HAND ON THE BAR

Comment

• that was weird, never had that happen before, i think i loaded it too quickly,I'll try again
                  [img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2656/3748347296_1555d256a3_b.jpg[img]

Comment

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                    Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    In my opinion, Blackie Schwinn is 3rd from left.
                    I don't know who Blackie is (father or son?), but Ignaz (father) isn't in that picture. He was too old to be any of them. I guess Frank (son) could be the only guy looking at the camera. Circa 1916/17 they produced a lets visit the factory type publication. Here's what Ignaz and Frank looked like 5 years after the above photo was taken ... Perry

Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 07-23-2009, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• Blackie was Frank Schwinn, the son or Ignaz. This same Schwinn bicycle dealer said that Blackie Schwinn lost his interest in the motorcycle end of the business after his accident. When this occured, I don't know. I think that if this story is true, that combined with the complexity of motorcycle production, the deepening of the depression, and a disinterested son to pass the motorcycle business off too, may explain why Ignaz ended motorcycle manufacturing. Everything I have ever read about Ignaz tells me he was a fighter and would have continued making Hendersons and Excelsiors if his son was passionate about continuing. It probably cost Schwinn more to end motorcycle production than it would have to downsize and continue making the popular Henderson 4. I'm curious to hear other views as this is still one of the big mysteries of motorcycle history.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

• dont know if this ones already been posted

i think its a cool shot.a little more modern motorcycle than what ive seen here,sorry if its been posted before.found it while surfing another site.

Comment

• that is an unbelievably cool "hole shot" . I wonder if it is in JD's book

Comment

• more old photo's

aka hawg
                            1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                            1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                            1940 indian chief military
                            1965 sportster xlch
                            1969 sportster xlch bobber
                            1971 bsa A65 chopper
                            1969 harley ss350 sprint
                            1960 harley topper
                            1963 harley topper
                            H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                            H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                            1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                            1959 harley model 165
                            1960 harley super 10
                            1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                            EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry Ruiter View Post
                              I don't know who Blackie is (father or son?), but Ignaz (father) isn't in that picture. He was too old to be any of them. I guess Frank (son) could be the only guy looking at the camera. Circa 1916/17 they produced a lets visit the factory type publication. Here's what Ignaz and Frank looked like 5 years after the above photo was taken ... Perry

You're right about Ignaz being too old. Assuming the picture was taken when the bike was new, he would have been around 50 at that time. It is possible that Frank would be in the picture, but not likely. The Schwinns weren't very involved with Excelsior at that date.

------------------ Bob Turek

Comment

• Originally posted by gary.h View Post
                                That lady has more moxie than most of the men I see riding these days.
                                Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
                                X