• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross, Ever seen one of these?

Comment

• here's the other side

Comment

• Originally posted by pem View Post
        I have really enjoyed everybody posting their one of a kind historic photos. Thank you to you all. What a great thread. Here is a photo that I hope our Canadian friends will recognize. It was post marked Oct. 20, 1912. Prince Albert Park. I have tried to google some information with no luck. Does anybody know what city this was lcoated in? The person who sent the postcard was Julius to a Mr. Earnest Stafnaw in North Freedom, Wi.
        He was writing to Earnest to save him some squirrels and to tell him he went duck hunting.

Dick
        Thanks Ross. I was hoping somebody from the frozen north was watching. On the post card it definitely said Prince Albert Park. Hopefull somebody can match the grandstand to the Kirkfield track. It's been so long since I found this postcard I can't remember where I got it.

Dick

Comment

• Thanks for the history lesson Ross! Feel free to go on and on..........

As per Chuck's request.........

A scene from Calgary, Alberta.........looks a little different now!

Northwest Mounted Police.....Coutts, Alberta

Megaw Motor Co. Vernon, B.C.

Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• Great pics Tim! Those fellas look rather orderly don't they?

Here's a shot from the Saskatoon, Police Department.

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• Here's a shot from Victoria Park, Calgary........ I may have already posted this one,,, but since the subject of tracks came up................

An Excelsior in Kelowna, B.C.

Here's one from the Point Grey Police Squad in Vancouver, B.C.

Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• Sorry guys I am not a master of the computer just getting the hang of posting photos mine are the small verson
                Attached Files
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

• Hey Barry that is some sweet medal !!!

Back to the Kirkfield race track in Winnipeg, here is the shot of Joe Baribeau after he became the record holder averaging 60 miles an hour for a 100 miles at the track that cold day in October 1911.He had tried for the record in the summer but his trusty Indian v twin seized......so he waited till the cold of fall as only it can be in western Canada. The extra oil tank gave him the extra oil needed to work the hand pump for such a long distance and he was refilled with gas by a sidecar outfit that he had to slow down for to add the precious petrol. His assistant on this raceday was a guy by the name of Bill Pelham ( later a famous racer in his own right). Joe was pried off the bike at the end of the ordeal as he was frozen to the bars. That was a big deal here and would garner him big fame with Indian company .
                  Ross

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                    I was new in Prince Albert Saskatchewan in 1949. I doubt this race took place there.

Your probably right on that Barry. I couldn't find any evidence of a track in Prince Albert but it appears that it was quite a hopping little city during that time period. Ya never know here's a track that saw motorcycle racing in Didsbury, Alberta.....a much smaller town for sure.... the picture is dated 1904 so it likely saw more horses than bikes at that time.
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• No kidding about the late fall days in Manitoba....... there's no question in my mind that Mr. Baribeau was frozen to his machine! That's a fine story!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

• Wow, You Fellow Canuks Are Blowing Me Away With This Stuff! Good Work! Maybe We'll Garner A Little More Respect From Down South Now! Ross , You Must Have Met Baribeau's Son. He Visited Me Years Ago And Let Me Look At All The Memorabilia His Dad Left Him. Did You End Up With It ?it Was Quite A Collection. Seems Like Mr . Baribeau "conquered" Racing And Went On To Other Pursuits Operating A Fish And Game Resort In Lake Of The Woods Fleecing All Those Rich Americans., Some Things Never Change, Eh! I Have A Picture Somewhere Of Baribeau 'smoking' Don Johns Beating Him By At Least 500 Yards At The End Of A Premier Dirt Track Race In Hamilton.
                        Hey Cory, Love That Saskabush Cop Dept' Pic. I Wouldn't Be Surprised If Some Of My Rowdy Drunken Ukey Ancestors Rode In The Back Of That Paddy Wagon!

Comment

• Great photo's guys, really like the Saskatoon police shot and that Mr Baribeau. I cant imagine going 60mph on an Indian like that for 100 miles in the nicest weather, unbelievable! Great photo's thanks to all who have posted some.

Comment

• Barry, we made Paul Baribeau ( Joe's son )a life member of our club out of respect for his Dad. He is around 90 years. I'm looking around for another photo that was used by the Indian motorcycle company for use in their 1912 advertising booklet which shows the Winnipeg Police force buying a half dozen twins for the local police force.
                            Ross

Comment

• Hey this is getting good........... Barry did your relates get down to Regina? They mighta run into these fellas..............

Here's a one a little closer to home for ya Ross.........

Royal Northwest Mounted Police, Boissevain, Manitoba

Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• In 1911 the Winnipeg Police ordered these nice new twins and obviously Indian thought it was a big deal as it's in their 1912 brochure.1912 was our first year for plates and before that you used a small aluminum disc and made your own plate as seen.Photo must have been some time in 1911. ( I have this original also in a postcard )
                                Ross

Comment

Working...
                                X