X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 year - Paris - electric bike

3_2_0_-_15770_188942.jpg

Comment

• tumblr_ntzqgzrT451sh016ho1_1280.jpg tumblr_ntzqgjQTVt1sh016ho1_1280.jpg tumblr_ntzqgayPZ01sh016ho1_1280.jpg
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Dear Bob, those must be the Harley Sportster and Sprint prepared in 1965 for an attempt on the world speed records at Bonneville. The Sprint toolk the 250 cc record at 177 mph but not the Sportster. The build-up is reported in the 1965 Enthusiasts, with the record breaking Sprint featured in the December issue.

Comment

• Roger Reiman of Kewanee Illinois, U.S.A...

Roger Reiman 3.jpg

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-06-2024, 02:58 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Yy1vihIKs

Anthony Hopkins is a great actor
            Last edited by Jarek; 07-07-2024, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• tumblr_ntzqf0HCPO1sh016ho1_1280.jpg
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                Roger Reiman of Kewanee Illinois, U.S.A...

Roger Reiman 3.jpg

....Cotten
                Sorry Cotten, but that appears to be George Roeder, pilot of the record breaking Sprint.

Comment

• Originally posted by rustynutz View Post

Sorry Cotten, but that appears to be George Roeder, pilot of the record breaking Sprint.
                  I just snag pics as they are labelled, Rusty!

We are lucky when there is any info at all...

Notice the canopy looks different.

....Cotten
                  PS: I met Roger at the end of the seventies, and it looked like him to me.
                  PPS: Here's one labelled "Lamm and Roeder", and the ears are definitive!

image_43281.jpg
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-08-2024, 09:49 AM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

• Here's a couple from the Magri collection showing streamliners at Bonneville. According to what was posted these were taken in 1964. He also had a couple pics of Roger Reiman and his folks from that same year.

Armando Magri with the Sprint Streamliner at the Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, 1964.jpg Armando Magri with the Sprint Streamliner at the Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, 1964

Sportster engine full of salt after a run at Bonneville, 1964, photo by Armando Magri.jpg Sportster engine full of salt after a run at Bonneville, 1964, photo by Armando Magri

ROGERR~1.JPG Roger Reiman and his parents, who were Illinois Harley-Davidson dealers, at Bonneville for a speed record run in the Sprint streamliner, 1964, photo by Armando Magri

Roger Reiman, right, and his folks at Bonneville, 1964, photo by Armando Magri.jpg Roger Reiman, right, and his folks at Bonneville, 1964, photo by Armando Magri
                    Eric Olson
                    Membership #18488

Comment

• Thanks Eric!

After nearly a half-century, square heads all look alike.
                      Once I met Roger at his shop when I wanted him to deck my panheads, and he looked at me like I was out of my mind.

The second time was on a Reiman's run, and I got a flat tire.
                      My wife of the time thumbed into town and came back with a bottle of air. Roger sat by a stop sign with his six pack (and one of those silly sportster cafe racers) to make sure we didn't miss the turn.

The run finalized in the evening when we all sat on hay bales, and watched color films of Hank's hillclimbs projected upon a yuge screen.

....Cotten

PS: OK, I'll bite.

Is this Hank,
                      image_43301.jpg

or Sam Arena?

Sam Arena ejected.jpg
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-08-2024, 05:54 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

• Doesn't #4033 say Sportster on the bodywork and not Sprint? Interesting that the runs were made in '64 and not reported until later - maybe the speed needed some kind of time-consuming approval as a world record? And what about the Sportster, how fast did it go and what was the speed record it failed to beat? And where are both bikes now?

Comment

• tumblr_ntzqet4Uj21sh016ho1_500.jpg tumblr_ntzqeiIVq11sh016ho1_1280.jpg tumblr_ntzqdcAkvl1sh016ho1_1280.jpg
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                            Doesn't #4033 say Sportster on the bodywork and not Sprint? Interesting that the runs were made in '64 and not reported until later - maybe the speed needed some kind of time-consuming approval as a world record? And what about the Sportster, how fast did it go and what was the speed record it failed to beat? And where are both bikes now?
                            Steve, you're right that they it says Sportster on that bike and not Sprint. They had one of each. I don't know much about them, but it's clear they ran multiple years as there are pictures of the bikes with different artwork on them. Here is one more picture of the inside of the bike from 64, and another pic of Armando and Malcolm Wood with the pair of bikes in Wendover before the races. You can see the different paint in the picture with Malcolm vs. the earlier posted pictures. I'm sure others on here can chime in with more details on the bikes and what became of them. And as always, thanks to Armando's son Ken for making his dads pictures available for us to enjoy.

This is a photo Armando Magri took of one of the Harley-Davidson Bonneville streamliners being worked on at the Salt Flats in 1964.jpg This is a photo Armando Magri took of one of the Harley-Davidson Bonneville streamliners being worked on at the Salt Flats in 1964

Bonneville.jpg Armando Magri and Harley-Davidson's Southern California District Representative Malcolm Wood in Wendover, ready to watch the streamliner Harley-Davidsons at Bonneville.
                            Eric Olson
                            Membership #18488

Comment

• tumblr_ntmk4caFZg1sh016ho1_1280.jpg
                              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• *M.A.D.*

55CD5ED3-0F78-4967-ABE1-8D3CD18BC2AC_1_201_a.jpeg
                                Last edited by JoJo357; 07-11-2024, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X