Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Van Buren sisters making their name known in the "World Of Sport". Looks like they got around!

Seen in the world of sport. c1916.jpg

Seen in the world of sport. c1916 2.jpg
    Eric Olson
    Membership #18488

Comment

• Yes picture 1959 looks like a 1931 Henderson KJ with the one year 1931 Motolamp headlight. That's what's on my '29 and maybe led it to being titled as a '31. It's 'just a rider' rather than a points bike so won't be changed, anyway I prefer it to the little 1929/30 headlamps, which look like one of the twin Solar lamps used on the same year Harleys. Does anyone know?

And the AMCA magazine ran an article on the Van Buren sisters, but I don't recall if it used any of those pictures.

Comment

• 302e17e2cdb057712f25f8dc88a8377b.jpg
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• 376ce2a2b86ec542a62188c6a07c059d.jpg
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• *M.A.D.*

fullsizeoutput_188b.jpeg
            fullsizeoutput_1889.jpeg

Comment

• Steve, the 1929 and 1930 KJ headlight is side mounted like the 1931 as opposed to the bottom mount of the twin Solar lights. Not sure who made the 29 and 30 KJ headlights but the parts book for the Henderson Deluxe pre 1929 lists C.M. Hall Company of Kenosha, Wisconsin as the headlight maker. That light is a big one similar to the one on the 1931 KJ. Can't find any identifying the maker on my headlight. Looks like Harley and Henderson both realized those small headlights didn't do the job and both switched to the bigger Motolamp in 1931.
              Dave

Comment

• Interesting seeing those parade duty 45s
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• zzca80796f9.jpg

Della Crewe Sept 1915.jpg
                  Della Crewe Sept 1915

...Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-07-2022, 06:57 PM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Picture 1969 looks like a 1931/2 Harley C model 500 cc flathead with the flat lens Motolamp. Only about 1500 made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                      Picture 1969 looks like a 1931/2 Harley C model 500 cc flathead with the flat lens Motolamp. Only about 1500 made.
                      There are a number of pictures of the Hollywood Branch Cycletow Service. Maybe taken for advertising? Interestingly, I have some that look like they also used a 45 twin with a dual headlight set-up. (Not actually sure what the bigger bike is, but I'm sure Steve can identify it).

Cycletow in front of residences, Southern California, 1932 2.jpg

Cycletow in front of residences, Southern California, 1932 1.jpg

Service department, Cycletow service, Southern California, 1932 1.jpg

Service department, Cycletow service, Southern California, 1932 3.jpg
                      Eric Olson
                      Membership #18488

Comment

• zzcycletowlady.jpg

cycle-tow trainingwheels.jpg

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• How do I get a job application to work with Cycletow Service?
                          Chicks dig the uniform

Comment

• You see a number of pictures of owner made fender skirts on H-Ds and Indians from those days. I think it was partially inspired by aviation wheel skirts, and the 'streamline' styling trend of that time. The fender skirts really improve the looks of that 30.50 H-D.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

• Originally posted by exeric View Post
                              You see a number of pictures of owner made fender skirts on H-Ds and Indians from those days. I think it was partially inspired by aviation wheel skirts, and the 'streamline' styling trend of that time. The fender skirts really improve the looks of that 30.50 H-D.
                              1936 Junior "Sky King"
                              DCP_2401.JPG
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• I wonder if it is the same bike in the Cycletow pictures? The rear view shows a 1932 California license plate but the side view seems to show the one-year 1930 twin tube muffler. The 1930 twin headlights became illegal in several States after night time accidents, and were replaced with the 1931/2 Motolamp. Could it be the same rider, although one photo does show two bikes?

Comment

Working...
                                X