X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jcrawford View Post
    WOW!
    What "Police Accessory" is that on the front fender on the one with the dark headlight rim??
    Bug deflector.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Cutwater shield.jpgumbrella5.jpg

.....Cotten
      AMCA #776

Comment

• Ok Ok Kid Gloves are off--Top This...Hahaha
        Remarkably for L.A., this building/property is almost unchanged after 90 years.

*M.A.D.*

fullsizeoutput_1866.jpeg
        Last edited by JoJo357; 01-06-2022, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• *M.A.D.*

fullsizeoutput_1868.jpeg
          Last edited by JoJo357; 01-05-2022, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• *M.A.D.*

fullsizeoutput_1874.jpeg

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
              Picture 1938 is a beauty. The bikes are Henderson KJ Streamline models, 1301 cc straight fours built only 1929-31. The car has California 1930 exempt plates as used by the Highway Patrol and Police authorities, and all three vehicles are painted in white. The sign behind the car says WASHINGTON in the top row but I can't make out the rest to guess the location. I would also wear a bow tie if sitting on one of these beauties. The bikes do not have the small 1929/30 headlamp but a larger one which is not the 1931 Motolamp, so maybe a Police special accessory. The red pursuit accessory lamp is on the left of the rider. The tanks still carry the Excelsior logo and not the CHP badge, so maybe local Police? Both bikes seem to have a dealer badge on the front mudguard. They are not identical, with different horns and different headlamp rim finishes. You can see the California made Hedberg siren mounted to the left rear of the right hand bike. Later CHP Harleys had the Hedberg siren on the right. The right hand bike looks to have a front speedometer drive gear in the spokes. Oh, the fun they must have had!
              I wonder how many caps they lost once they got involved in a chase with some local speeder or bad guy?

And it's interesting to note that the stands have been airbrushed out in the original photo (#1938).
              Last edited by pfindlay; 01-05-2022, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Probably movie studio cops!
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• Interesting that the bikes have been re-ordered in one of the photos. And I've never seen those front stands before. And thanks JoJo for the great modern views. Was this the whole Venice Police Department motorized section around 1930, two bikes and a car? And my 1929 KJ has I think a DU-5 generator with the centrifugal cut-out at the front, maybe incorrect for the year, so still looking.

Comment

• *Interesting Venice Timeline: https://www.westland.net/venicehisto...icles/1930.htm

Glad You liked the Venice pic *Steve Slocombe. I cannot tell a lie *pfindlay, i brushed out those ugly centerstands. (-;
                    But...no where as ugly as oil derricks & palm trees!!!

*M.A.D.*
                    fullsizeoutput_1883.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1879.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_187a.jpeg
                    Last edited by JoJo357; 01-06-2022, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• 312a49741dbf68e2f09a31c0fdf43cc7_zpse2136614.jpg
                      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• 366acc0018f2ef18578e374c7c25d6c4.jpg
                        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Here is a local brand new Henderson with sidecar from 1929 bought by the O Oshawa Police 1929 Henderson 001.jpg shawa Ontario Police Department. I am now restoring what I suspect is this same motorcycle.
                          Tom

Comment

• More great KJ pics. Thanks. Some snazzy two tone shoes on the guy sitting on the 1931 KJ. He must have traded his generator for them ; it's missing! Steve, the DU-5 I think did have the centrifugal cutout. The DU-7 had the electromagnetic cutout which took a deeper end cover. In 1931 they switched to Auto-Lite generators which is visible on the other 1931KJ picture.
                            Dave

Comment

• The Van Buren sisters should be searchable...

VanBuren1916.jpg

VanBurens5.jpg

Van Buren Girls.jpgVanBuren sisters.jpg

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

• One more..

VanBurensisters3.jpg

.....Cotten
                                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X