Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• 998ccREADINGSTANDARDChrBohnstedt-PetersenFanoslash1921_zpsb60a60de.jpg
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• *M.A.D.*

giffy 8 1920.jpg

Comment

• I think the Excelsior Big Valve motor was one of the best looking engines of it's era. Excelsior even sold a de-tuned Big Valve for the street.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

• Photo 2118
            The location is the Takapuna Race Course which was on the North Shore of the Waitemata Harbour and is now a suburb of Auckland.
            The race course is long built over but in its day was regarded as the fastest and best grass track racing venue in New Zealand.
            The lady standing next to Steve Whitehead is Fay Taylour and as she was only in NZ during March 1929 and February, March, April 1930 the photo must have been taken on a day during one of these months.
            Fay Taylour was a speedway rider that rated with the best and a read of the book "Fay Taylour Queen of Speedway" by Brian Belton is highly recommended.
            Steve Whitehead is entered on an Excelsior for the meeting held on the 2nd March 1929 so my guess is that's when this photo was taken.
            Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
            A.M.C.A. # 2777
            Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

• 1000x1000_zps0a965a00.jpg
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• 1032.jpg
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                  Great picture Bob. I would guess late 1940's North or South Dakota.

Comment

• Here's another photo taken at Takapuna during Fay Taylours 1930 visit to NZ.
                    The New Imperial has extensive strutting to a striking nickel plated frame.
                    No printed evidence has been found that this was a factory produced motorcycle but it certainly looks like it is. KM 82.jpg
                    The gentleman standing is Robert Moorcroft a partner in Goodwin and Moorcroft who were the New Imperial importers of the day
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

• Interesting background information Tommo & Eric.~~I dig it.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

• 1046b6cda20e1fdfebcfb79a200a72a6.jpg
                        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• 1120ccREADINGSTANDARDChrBohnstedtPetersenFanoslash19202_zps1d526f25.jpg
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• 01148f0392ce44d3f219269a24b9cdaa.jpg
                            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• 1169_001_zps01cfbe87.jpg
                              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• I'm not sure about other people but personally I'd like to see some details of the pictures posted
                                The Harley in the snow above is just another Harley in the snow and really holds no interest to me but add names, date, location and what they were there for and my attention is immediately gained.
                                If no details are known why not ask and then we can all learn about our motorcycling history and hopefully critical knowledge and information is not lost forever.
                                That's my 2 cents worth anyway.
                                A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Working...
                                X