This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
    Mike, Thanks for the reply and what you do on here.

But confused. From my memory, you removed the chicken truck, Eric's color response, Cotten's follow up with a picture of a Indian, a comment from someone that something was going to ruin the forum, your pic of a 1921 Indian, then Gene's response that it was a '22 or '23 model. What was wrong with all of these? Why did you leave the Valiant car and girl in a swimsuit? I see nothing related to a motorcycle in that picture I posted.

I have a ton of pictures and was trying to post a black and white in the morning and a color photo in the afternoon to mix it up. I ran out of color motorcycle pictures so I thought some color pictures of some interesting vehicles of the time might be cool to the members that might remember some of them when they were younger or show the 'new younger' crowd what used to be. I see nothing obscene in any of the above mentioned posts/ pictures that were removed. I know the rules you posted. Maybe the title should be changed to 'Vintage Motorcycle Pics of the Day ONLY'.

I am singling out Cotten's post #792 the first picture for no other reason than to make a point. It is not motorcycle related and should be removed according to the rules you just posted. I personally like the picture but rules are rules right? The last picture in post #9 should be removed, quite a few in post # 10,last pic in post #22, last pic in post #58,first pic in #68, should I go on? We were all enjoying this, what happened all of the sudden?

Mike, you do a great job, but can't we just have some fun with old pictures? I guess not.
    BigLakeBob - The only post I removed so far was the one posted and mentioned above that focused on aboriginal people as would be discovered in National Geographic. While the women were in their natural states of dress it would not pass the reasonable posting test when measuring it against AMCA posting rules. I don't know how people would react to it so I use my judgement and consider our rules. I figure if I am not doing my club volunteer job right then one of the officers or board members will help get me straight. I don't know what happened to the other posts you mentioned. I can say I have removed one post in the last month. I generally don't see all the posts on the forum as a lot of my time is spent helping members with login problems. If there are posts that don't comply with the rules I hope a member will report them If I didn't notice it. I didn't see the Valiant woman until you mentioned it and will take down along with the posts you mentioned that don't comply.

My approach to moderating has been to keep content to the scope and intensity of the AMCA membership. I don't use a gotcha style of moderating, trying to find posts to take down. I know everyone enjoyed the moderator less and anything goes scope of the CAIM forum approach and loss of that forum clearly leaves a void in the forum world but that's a completely different world from our club structure that tries to offer participation opportunities to everyone and is pretty strictly defined by the club's guiding scope of antique motorcycle 35 years and older related. With that scope in mind its hard for me to imagine refereeing what other content can be allowed beyond antique motorcycles. It's certainly more manageable to moderate our limited scope and I think most forums will drill down to being very specific. Here for example are two different on-line forum scope descriptions of what they are about, one from The Jalopy Journal's community forum and one from The Virtual Indian Groups,i.o. online forum. Like us they are specifically about their specific interest group.

Jalopy Journal

The Traditional Hot Rod forum is reserved for threads and posts pertaining to period correct hot rods only. Please use this forum for technical threads, build threads, historical threads, and feature threads only.
    and Virtual Indian

The Virtual Indian group is a forum for discussing all aspects of the 1901-53 US built "Indian" motorcycles. The bias is on the technical aspects, but all Indian-talk welcome.
    I have agreed as a fellow AMCA member and community forum moderator to keep the forum focused on the scope from our club policies. I sure hope that just antique motorcycle posts will be enough fun for the community forum but maybe I am the wet blanket here.

If it is time for a well thought out and presented new scope to the AMCA board for online content then maybe this will trigger that. But again consideration needs to be given to how you manage the content and certainly an anything goes approach is going to make it difficult for the club. Hope this answers some questions but by all means any follow up questions I will try to answer.

Mike Love
    AMCA Forum

Comment

• I see nothing wrong with the Valiant picture. Sure, the subject isn't motorcycle related but I didn't find it offensive and it gives a nice glimpse of life at that time period. I commend BigLakeBob for taking the time to post all those fine pictures!

Dale

Comment

• Originally posted by painterdale View Post
        I see nothing wrong with the Valiant picture. Sure, the subject isn't motorcycle related but I didn't find it offensive and it gives a nice glimpse of life at that time period. I commend BigLakeBob for taking the time to post all those fine pictures!
        Agree, and one can see much more provocative scenes on a trip to the grocery store on a warm day! (plus, she's not my type )
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

• Mike, I think you do a great job and appreciate you stepping up to the plate to make our forum work. I enjoy your light approach to policing the site. I see nothing wrong with the vintage pics that weren't directly related to motorcycles and didn't want to see any get removed. I had originally thought you removed my non motorcycle pics, but then after you mentioned the aboriginal people, I knew why that was removed, maybe the other pictures got caught up in removal? I thought you started to sensor everything. Sorry I jumped to that conclusion. But, this isn't the Caimag forum, and as a member of the club I respect the guidelines set forth. I am one of those that like the forum being open only to members to be able to contribute to, so I will happily follow the guidelines, as I am here for the antique motorcycle exchange. They are not too restrictive in my opinion. In the future I will do my best to post only antique motorcycle pics and items.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• _57_zps41bb5c1f.jpg
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Here she shows her character, Bob!

sultry 10-54.jpg

.....Cotten
              PS: Hope it ain't too real for anybody.
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-27-2021, 12:01 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• _57_zps70dacddf.jpg
                Last edited by BigLakeBob; 03-27-2021, 05:40 PM.
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• What a great rig! Right?
                  Bob Rice #6738

Comment

What a great rig! Right?
                    Absolutely, Bob!

bucket-seats.jpg

Are those Cygnet Rear Cars?

Cygnet Rear Car.jpg
                    Cygnet rearcar2.jpg

CygnetIndian.jpg
                    This one, however, seems to have discarded the motorcycle's drive wheel completely:

Cygnetmaybe.jpg

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-27-2021, 10:14 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

• Great additions Tom. Is that last bike a Reading Standard?
                      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• _57_zps92fcc4ff.jpg
                        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Great additions Tom. Is that last bike a Reading Standard?
                          That would be my guess, Bob,...

It compares a lot to the little girls in the weed patch pic, plus this one.

READINGStandard.jpg

The handful of other RS pics I've snagged were either 'flat tanks' or singles.

.....Cotten
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-28-2021, 07:54 AM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

• Originally posted by droptopford View Post

You're not wrong. This thread got started as a direct result of the CAIMag forum tanking. The hope was to try to recreate something with the huge popularity of that site's 'Vintage Pics' thread. So far, it's gone pretty well IMO.

The moderator (Mike) has done a fine job considering what he has to work with. Lots of rules and regulations here that limit the scope of the pics. Lots of the fun stuff from the CAIMag site just won't make the cut here due things having to be sanitized. It's like turning on the Lawrence Welk show hoping to see Link Wray... Ain't gonna happen.

Great Welk & Wray analogy Drop Top! Really like the Segue into 'Viva Zapata'--that was nice...

*M.a.D.*

Comment

Mike, I think you do a great job and appreciate you stepping up to the plate to make our forum work. I enjoy your light approach to policing the site. I see nothing wrong with the vintage pics that weren't directly related to motorcycles and didn't want to see any get removed. I had originally thought you removed my non motorcycle pics, but then after you mentioned the aboriginal people, I knew why that was removed, maybe the other pictures got caught up in removal? I thought you started to sensor everything. Sorry I jumped to that conclusion. But, this isn't the Caimag forum, and as a member of the club I respect the guidelines set forth. I am one of those that like the forum being open only to members to be able to contribute to, so I will happily follow the guidelines, as I am here for the antique motorcycle exchange. They are not too restrictive in my opinion. In the future I will do my best to post only antique motorcycle pics and items.
                              Spoken like a true gentleman..Thanks..and a special thanks to Mike..Volunteerism is a precious thing these days
                              Ross

Comment

• ok3-1080x650.jpg
                                I got this picture from 'The Old Motor', S. Robinson Ave., Oklahoma City approx. 1950's. A skirted mc right around the detour sign.
                                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                                X