This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by badger34
    Dick, I have some articles mentioning Dodge Co. Sheriff Nehls and his dealings with the mc gang problems under his watch. I've seen him described as one of a kind and flamboyant. One article from 1968 mentions a small fire started by a mc gang in a backroom of the Triangle Inn, maybe that's the incident you're recalling. I haven't found anything on a flagman death at Dodge Co. but I'll keep looking. The mc gang problems in 1966 were also a factor in putting a permanent end to the annual Cedarburg Memorial Day races, the city leaders said no more after the events of 1966.
    You are 100% correct. The guy was a legend. His detectives and himself would go fishing on Fox Lake with dynamite. Another story I heard from a guy who was there was that an unfortunate man had hung himself at the top of a very tall tree. Nobody wanted to climb the tree to cut him down so they decided they would have a contest and see who could cut the rope by shooting their pistols. He eventually came down. One of a kind is an understatement!!!

Comment

• Kurt Benz, Dodge County Traffic Police, Juneau, Wi.jpeg

Comment

• Rudy Vrana Hurley Wi 2.jpeg Rudy Vrana Hurley Wi.jpeg They sure liked their knuckleheads.

Comment

• #3493 looks like a 1931 VL, with the 1931/32 flat lens Motolamp and the one-year 1931 chubby muffler.

Comment

• *M.A.D.*
            fullsizeoutput_2b54.jpeg
            anj2tf.jpg
            FB_IMG_1498757147623.jpg
            img088-1024x820.jpg
            Harry-Reger-Sr.-Motorcycle-partner-1024x622.jpg

Comment

• *M.A.D.*
              TRIUMPHLEPPAN.jpg
              fullsizeoutput_2b59.jpeg
              fullsizeoutput_2b40.jpeg

1-The-Outlaws-Motorcycle-Club-Was-Born-In-A-Bar-via-Pinterest.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2b35.jpeg
              Last edited by JoJo357; 09-25-2023, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• 1941 North Lake, Wi.jpeg 1963 Ronnie Fry Arlene Fry, Lee and viola Funk.jpeg

Comment

• Thanks JoJo357 for posting some great photos! For the record, the image of the Police Henderson in #3497 needs the clarification…the photo may have been taken in 1929 but the bike model is pre-1928 (looks mostly like a 1926) based on the lack of front brake, the carb induction “stove”, horn, etc. Thanks again and keep’ ‘em coming!

Comment

JoJo357, Is Harry Reger Sr your father? I think that I recall you mentioning that your father was a Detroit PD motor officer.
                    Originally posted by badger34

I'm now in Michigan but my family roots are in Milwaukee where two of my family members were Milwaukee PD motor officers.
                    Hello Badger, how are You. No, Harry Reger Sr. is not my father. Harry was a little before my Dad's service. But yes, you have a good memory, as my dad did serve on the Detroit Police Motor Unit. We had many pictures over the years, but unfortunately they were destroyed during a basement flood in the 1970's. My Father was directly responsible for 2. late grade school & high school jobs at Robinson H-D and Leppan's Triumph Detroit. I would like to hear about your Family Motor Officers history also. A lot of folks do not realize how difficult it was successfully operating 2 wheels in large cities like Detroit & or Milwaukee, on the older iron. I believe the 1st H-D contract for Police unit motorcycles were delivered to Detroit in 1908. *Take care Badger.

img20180605_18165791-749x1024.jpg

Harry-Reger-Sr.-Motorcycle2-1024x595.jpg
                    1915-Detroit-MI-Police-Museum-768x760.jpg
                    29zcs95.jpg
                    1998-Spring-1-768x998.jpg
                    Last edited by JoJo357; 09-25-2023, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Is there any mention of visiting with Charlie Pinkard in Albuquerque, the H-D dealer?
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• Thank You Badger.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

So, I've been meaning to add some info to the following map post that I made a few days ago. With today being the 25th, 75 years ago today on 9/25/48 the guys traveled from El Paso TX to Florence AZ recording 398 miles and 10.7 hours on the road.

At the completion of the trip my grandfather tallied the miles traveled and gallons of gas used in the note book but I went thru and calculated a few other figures from the info.

5002 miles in 17 days is an average of 294.23 miles per day. There were four days in the 380-400 mile range. The lowest mile day was 77 miles on Sunday 9/26 traveling from Florence AZ to Phoenix AZ which was recorded at 4 hours of time. A notation from the previous day states the cabins at Florence were "No Good". The longest days recorded time wise were the final two travel days at 12.5 and 13 hours respectively.

5002 miles on 150.7 gallons of gas is an average of 33.19 mpg. The Dept of Energy records the average cost of gasoline in 1948 was 26 cents per gallon. The price per gallon they encountered ranged from 26 cents to 32.6 cents per gallon and the total fuel fill costs from a low of 42 cents to a high of $1.00 on two occasions. The cycles at that time had 3.5 gallon fuel tanks and twice a 3.5 gallon fill was recorded. I'm sure they carried spare fuel with them as they traveled with at least one sidecar rig to carry luggage, tools, etc. Two oil changes were recorded during the trip and it appears 1 qt was added roughly every 500 miles, oil cost average was about 40 cents per quart.

They lodged at cabins every night and the price per bed ranged from $2.50 to $4.00.

Only one failure I see recorded which was a broken handlebar on day 13 in New Mexico.

Out of curiosity, I plugged in the price of $.26/gal into an inflation calculator and it turns out that the price in 2023 dollars in $3.31. Not a whole lotta change.

Comment

• 1963 triumph and BMW.jpeg Alfred Horst.jpeg

Comment

• Brooks, Rudy, Gypsy, Vrana. Unknown.jpeg Clarence and Rosie Zurn.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                              X