WTB Panhead front cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB Panhead front cylinder

I'm looking for a 53-62 front cylinder 30 thou over or less. I have two rears, one at 10 over and one at 30 over, so as close to standard bore the better, so I can use the 10 over.

I have purchased brand new engines from H-D that had different bores on them. I had one that had one .010 and the other was .040. A brand new Shovelhead engine.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
      I have purchased brand new engines from H-D that had different bores on them. I had one that had one .010 and the other was .040. A brand new Shovelhead engine.
      I'd hate like hell to have mismatched cylinders. I'd rather buy one set of pistons than two.

Comment

H-D always sold pistons individually. If you needed a a pair you bought two! And as Chris said, the factory did it all the time. My UL has had a standard and a .020 cylinder for 30 years. Runs just fine! But I'll look and see what I may have Dewey!
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

One of the smoothest running 1950 Pans that I ever rode belonged to an old guy by me. When we took it down to rebuild the motor it was .040" over 61 (3 5/16 = .040) on the front cylinder and .070" over 74 (3 7/16" = .070) on the rear. That is a difference of .165" and it was smooth as silk. I never bore a cylinder more than what it needs to clean up. More cylinders were used up in a machine shop than ever got used up on the road.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by cdndewey View Post
            I'd hate like hell to have mismatched cylinders. I'd rather buy one set of pistons than two.
            I think Kick Start sells pistons individually, rings are in sets.
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
              One of the smoothest running 1950 Pans that I ever rode belonged to an old guy by me. When we took it down to rebuild the motor it was .040" over 61 (3 5/16 = .040) on the front cylinder and .070" over 74 (3 7/16" = .070) on the rear. That is a difference of .165" and it was smooth as silk. I never bore a cylinder more than what it needs to clean up. More cylinders were used up in a machine shop than ever got used up on the road.

Jerry
              I'm not discounting running different sized cylinders if it turns out that way, and BigLakeBob informs me that pistons are available individually, so that's a help. I wouldn't take a cylinder out just to match it's mate, but I have two or three years before this pan gets on the road so I figure I'd start by looking for something close to what I already have.

Comment

cdndewey

By all means I try to stay with the same bore but it is nowhere near my first requirement. As long as you have time I too would try to match bores. Jerry

Comment

Working...
                X