Removing Spark Plugs on 1940 Sport Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Spark Plugs on 1940 Sport Scout

I thought this would be easy but its not. After sitting for several years, I want to remove my plugs on the Sport Scout. Plugs are real close to tank. Is there a special tool needed or does tank have to be removed?

I used an antique Indian plug wrench on my own '40 SS when I had it. The wrench was a flat steel one, with a slight off-set. It had the 13/16 box end. Over the years, and especially with the racers; I've seen various alternatives to this issue. Some would change heads to the "angle plug" style, which located the plugs on a slant, allowing for better access. Some guys used lawn mower plugs that were much shorter. I had no problem once I employed this wrench though.
    RF.

Comment

I use a old villiers plug spanner that we had laying around, seems to do the job ok.
      The rear plug is the closest and on our 41 you have to unscrew the top on the plug
      Before you can get the rear plug out.

Comment

Thanks Guys, I will have to start looking for a wrench that fits.

Comment

Well I figured it out. I used an Original Indian Wrench. I never thought to use that as it didnt look like anything special but thats what the Army maintenance manual shows. Thanks for the info.

Comment

When in doubt, read the book!
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Removing Spark Plugs on 1940 Sport Scout

I didn't have any flat or box wrenches that would go in there. So I took a flex socket, drove the pivot pin out, and just kept the socket part. I had to turn the OD down a bit on the socket to fit in between the plug and the fins. Then I just made a loop handle out of a piece of rod. Then I painted it my favorite color, Orchard Supply semi-flat black. Presto!IMG_1272.jpgIMG_1273.jpgIMG_1274.jpgIMG_1275.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                When in doubt, read the book!
                ... broken fins, see what happens when you don't read the book?!?
                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Hi Bill...Good job on the wrench. I always like to see home-made tools......Rod

Comment

Working...
                  X