Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tricks to getting it up on the Center Stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not that it is difficult, it's more about trust in your side stand. I've seen more than a few broken original Indian side stands with a chunk of rebar welded into the inside channel
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
      It's not that it is difficult, it's more about trust in your side stand. I've seen more than a few broken original Indian side stands with a chunk of rebar welded into the inside channel
      might have been 18 years ago, loaded up "BIG LEAGUE" and halfway to Davenport, stopped to check the map (different route than usual). Set it on the center stand, sat on it and leaned back against the rear-heavy pile, and the bolts on the center stand sheared.
      I've seen the frame castings broken on other frames, so I know I'm lucky. I might recommend grade-2 bolts anymore.

Comment

Geez, you guys are scaring me! I skipped out today for a ride (200 miles) and while waiting for my buddy to arrive at our rendezvous point I noticed my chain adjuster on the LH side was hanging loose.... and I had just adjusted the chain the day before. Long story short...I didn't fully tighten the axle nut...so up on the center stand it went....leaned over on the 1946 side stand then up onto the center stand. Full disclosure...thanks to this thread I fully supported the bike on my thighs when I leaned it over onto the side stand, just in case!
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

You could try building one of these nifty contraptions...or email the guy on YouTube to see if he sell them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdcgGddTclQ
          AMCA # 3233

Comment

I broke my jiffy stand foot off tilting it over onto it to get the bike on the center stand. I know just put the jiffy stand down all the way, flip the center stand until it touches the ground and the grab the rear crash bar and pull it up, rolling it up onto the center stand. I have done this for the 16 years I've owned my Chief. Gettin' older, though.............................

Comment

I asked a relative of mine why it was so hard to lift my one of my Four's onto the rear stand and he being about eighty years old and a lifetime Harley rider looked at me and said, "Because the rear stand only works on the grass."

He was right about that, it worked!

I also saw a video about this for a center stand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWEjyMGq8T8

Comment

I've never had a problem pulling any bike up on the rear stand; regardless of surface conditions. When I work on a Henderson, or Big Twin H-D on my lift, I always put them on the rear stand, and that steel diamond plate is slippery. I think it is more a matter of focus, and concentration of motion, than just grunt, and muscle. Practicing in grass is a good idea and will help to develop the technique.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                X