Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tricks to getting it up on the Center Stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tricks to getting it up on the Center Stand?

I have a 1940 Sport Scout that I am having a problem getting it up on the center stand without 2 people.
    Any tricks of the trade to make this happen with one person?
    Thanks

640b center stand

Originally posted by rickcioppa View Post
    I have a 1940 Sport Scout that I am having a problem getting it up on the center stand without 2 people.
    Any tricks of the trade to make this happen with one person?
    Thanks
    As written in the Military 640B "Operation and Maintenance Manual" Page O-5 (Operation)
    There is a release lever directly in back of the transmission on the left side. Pull the release lever out away from the machine and the center stand will drop down. This cannot be released until the jiffy stand is out. With the machine resting on it's jiffy stand, swing the weight of the machine over onto the jiffy stand and the center stand will automatically swing itself forward by means of a spring to a position where the machine can be straightened up onto the center stand alone.

Comment

Every bike I've ever owned with a center stand was different and a new learning experience. Once you figure out the right combination, it's usually quite easy. Sorta like sex-if it hurts maybe you're doing it wrong...
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

I have the same problem on my 640B. It just seems like the center stand is too tall. I am tall and it takes everything I have to get it up there. Jerry

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWEjyMGq8T8

Comment

Hi,
            On my 53 Chief, I don't want to risk breaking my side stand or center stand, so I use a floor jack to lift the bike up and then I deploy the center stand. I typically only use the center stand for maintenance procedures. For certain year Chiefs, different center stands were used if the bike had 4.50 X 18 tires vs 5.00 X 16 tires. Tire height is a major factor is how well a center stand works. I don't know if different center stands were offered on Scouts if different tire sizes were used, but if a Scout runs 5.00 X 16 tires, it will sit lower to the ground than if it runs 4.50 X 18 tires. Something to consider.

Comment

Anyone ever tried leaning it over on the side stand and front wheel, then lowering the center stand and leaning it back to the center stand and leaving the bike tipped and supported by three points: 1) side stand, 2) center stand, 3) front wheel ?

This method is how the Rider's Manual tells you how to remove the rear tire....but I'd be a nervous wreck doing it that way!

Like this:

Last edited by pisten-bully; 11-01-2016, 08:59 AM.
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I don't know about the scouts but the correct chief method in the video is also a good way to dump battery acid all over your bike.
                Tom

Comment

Hi,
                  Here are two more photos of guys leaning the bikes over to put the center stand down. I have had my bike tip over - and it isn't fun. I personally wouldn't try this method. A period photo of a guy putting his center stand down.jpgBob Stark leaning his bike to lower the center stand.jpg

Comment

Every time I put my Chief on the center stand (using the above method), I speculated on how badly MY leg would be broken if the jiffy stand broke
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Simple solution is to cut a 45 on one end of a 6-8" 2x4, roll the rear wheel up on the board, the extra 1 1/2" will make it much easier to pull the bike up on the stand. Throw the board in your pack or saddlebags for on the road service.
                      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

And you can also use that 2x4 as a splint when the bike falls on your leg However, that is a good idea, Kyle.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

On a beautiful fall day in 1979 I had the idea to get some pictures of my motorcycles on the front lawn. I had my 75CH, 1945WL, 39EL, 61FLH, and 65FLH lined up for photos. As I moved the Electraglide in place my feet slipped on the freshly fallen and very slippery oak leaves. The heaviest of all fell on my legs and pinned me down. I couldn't escape this trap. The street was close by and had a fair amount of traffic, I was trying to wave somebody over to help but all they did was wave back and roll on. I can hear them, "What's that goofy hippy kid doing now". After a half hour or so, I managed to free myself, sacrificing my good jeans and a fair amount of flesh.
                          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

That is a funny story, Kyle. Mine involves my '41EL, a slick cement floor, and trying to bring it up on the rear stand wearing flip-flops. . . Use your imagination
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

I'm surprised at the difficulties mentioned here.
                              Okay, I haven't tipped the 03 Road King over since before my back surgery, but the Chief really is easy to do with the tip-over, on a concrete floor or piece of plywood under side stand on gravel. Use a little momentum to rock it. And righting it is a small chore with that low center of gravity (still comparing it to a modern HD). I presume the scout is easier.
                              That short 2x4 in the saddle bag can make a hero out of you too. ... and you can throw it at the smart-alecks.

Comment

Working...
                              X