No announcement yet.

Why "motocycle"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And my thanks to you, Herb, for your diligence, and the time you've spent on the subject.

Comment

1902 Hendee catalog: "The idea of a motocycle has long been with us and the demand foreseen, but not until late in the Fall of 1900 did we see our opportunity to produce one which would fill the demands required."

Very interesting statement. What happened in the Fall of 1900 that changed things?
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Thanks Phil.

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
        I was a little puzzled when this topic came up and that must have been due to the literature I've collected over the years. I was always under the impression that they started out with Motocycle. Here's the cover page from their 1902 catalog and a page from the back featuring the "new" bike. There is also a letter from Feb.13, 1902.
        Yeah, and you were totally right too. It's obvious now that Indian motocycle is plastered all over the place, but I didn't notice that. I saw reference to that 1923 adoption date and focused on that. But the useage is way older and explains everything...almost.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======

Comment

In my opinion, the word "opportunity" was used as a promotional tool, while the word "capacity" would have been more appropriate. Hendee and Hedstrom did not meet until the fall of 1900. Their teaming up is what gave them the capacity to achieve the mass-production they crowed about. Neither could have gotten there without the other.
          One could recognize that opportunity happened upon the emergence of better and improving engines. The clever wording from the catalog implies that the technology had long been possessed.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Mast View Post
            In my opinion, the word "opportunity" was used as a promotional tool, while the word "capacity" would have been more appropriate. Hendee and Hedstrom did not meet until the fall of 1900. Their teaming up is what gave them the capacity to achieve the mass-production they crowed about. Neither could have gotten there without the other.
            One could recognize that opportunity happened upon the emergence of better and improving engines. The clever wording from the catalog implies that the technology had long been possessed.
            Phil, I'm leaning toward your thought on "Neither could have gotten there without the other." Hedstom had the know-how and Hendee had the money. It took both of them to make it happen. I also think that most of the companies emerging at that time were full of a little b.s. It seems as though they would pre-date their work just so they could brag that they were the innovators and the ones that pioneered the the craft.

One thing I know for sure. When Herb fires up a topic, we always get a history lesson. I'm eager to see where this is all leading.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post

But the useage is way older and explains everything...almost.
              I smell a great article coming on....
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

I have a few old dictionaries,
                and it would seem that "motorcycle" may not even have been a widely accepted word in 1902.

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-25-2011, 09:42 PM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Phil, I'm leaning toward your thought on "Neither could have gotten there without the other." Hedstom had the know-how and Hendee had the money. It took both of them to make it happen. I also think that most of the companies emerging at that time were full of a little b.s. It seems as though they would pre-date their work just so they could brag that they were the innovators and the ones that pioneered the the craft.

One thing I know for sure. When Herb fires up a topic, we always get a history lesson. I'm eager to see where this is all leading.
                  Cory, judging by the interest in this little topic, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's part of a much bigger, controversial and very muddled subject that I was only following with mild interest until I decided to dip into it. All I can say without giving away the works is: "Wow!"

Re: Hendee. I agree with you guys and also think they were all afraid to be the first to put their money on the line for this unproven proposition of a motorized bicycle.
                  Herbert Wagner
                  AMCA 4634
                  =======

Comment

If you go back and READ the content of the advertisements in POST 18 you will see that the Wigwam referred to their product as a "Motorcycle" Anyone who has worked on Indians knows that it seems that Indian went out of their way to be DIFFERENT from all other Manufacturers! They KNEW that their product WAS a MOTORCYCLE, but referred to it as a MOTOCYCLE.....Typical Indian!! That is just PART of why those of us "in the know" LOVE Indian Motocycles!!
                    Last edited by indianut; 01-26-2011, 05:46 PM.
                    http://laughingindian.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                    A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Cory, judging by the interest in this little topic, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's part of a much bigger, controversial and very muddled subject that I was only following with mild interest until I decided to dip into it. All I can say without giving away the works is: "Wow!"

Re: Hendee. I agree with you guys and also think they were all afraid to be the first to put their money on the line for this unproven proposition of a motorized bicycle.
                      Herb, I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Your quest the truth is always looked forward to and appreciated.
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Herb, I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Your quest the truth is always looked forward to and appreciated.
                        Thank you. This one is sure opening my eyes. Solves some very old persistent questions and controversies.
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======

Comment

Originally posted by indianut View Post
                          If you go back and READ the content of the advertisements in POST 18 you will see that the Wigwam referred to their product as a "Motorcycle" Anyone who has worked on Indians knows that it seems that Indian went out of their way to be DIFFERENT from all other Manufacturers! They KNEW that their product WAS a MOTORCYCLE, but referred to it as a MOTOCYCLE.....Typical Indian!! That is just PART of why those of us "in the know" LOVE Indian Motocycles!!
                          Actually, there might be another reason behind it than just wanting to be different. Something that Indian knew that we have all forgotten (shut up Herb before you give it away!)
                          Herbert Wagner
                          AMCA 4634
                          =======

Comment

Your getting me interested, Herb :-)

Comment

Actually, there might be another reason behind it than just wanting to be different. Something that Indian knew that we have all forgotten (shut up Herb before you give it away!)
                              Yes indeed!!! I've read a few accounts on the beginning. I've got a theory but I'll keep my thoughts to myself.... I'm definitely with Tom though... I'm interested!!!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

I'm interested too.

Comment

Working...
                                X