No announcement yet.

1917 Powerplus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I checked the lower tank mounting screws and they are 24 TPI. Could be the originals? The parts book lists the lock washers as part number N736. Walkers shows part number N736 as 1/4" split lock washers. My bike has quite a few split lock washers in different places. I don't see that part number listed for 1916. Is this the first year for the split lock washers? Haven't dug up anything on the square nuts on the lower tank mount screws. Dale

Comment

• Originally posted by painterdale View Post
      I checked the lower tank mounting screws and they are 24 TPI. Could be the originals? The parts book lists the lock washers as part number N736. Walkers shows part number N736 as 1/4" split lock washers. My bike has quite a few split lock washers in different places. I don't see that part number listed for 1916. Is this the first year for the split lock washers? Haven't dug up anything on the square nuts on the lower tank mount screws. Dale
      Dale, I'm going to change my vote. The more I think about it, the more I think the square nuts are original. The reason I say that, in one of your pictures in post #103, it looks like the square nut is made to fit into a pocket in the mounting tab on the tank. It seems likely that they did that to keep the nut from turning when you tighten the bolt. You say they are 24 tpi and the parts book lists a lock washer, so I'm betting the whole fastener assembly is original, especially since the rest of the bike is so unmolested.

Kevin

Kevin
      https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

• Hi, All! What is the best tool to use to crack open the valve covers? I'm beginning to suspect the intake lifters (or pushrod as they call it) may be stuck in their guides. I would like to give them a good soaking with Kroil. The covers have limited access and seem to be an odd size and I don't want to do any damage if I can help it. Thanks, Dale

Wishing everyone a happy and safe 4th!

Comment

• Hi Dale,

If you're referring to the covers that screw into the cam cover I found that removing the exhaust pipe headers gave ample room to get a wrench on the flats on the lower cover. I bought a set of inexpensive stubie wrenches from Harbor Freight and the 1 3/16" wrench fit tightly and worked well to unscrew the cover. I looked at the latest Harbor Freight catalog mailer but didn't see the set listed. Anyway they're odd looking big sizes with short flat rounded on the sides handles. I've used these for all sort of odd jobs on old HD's and Indians.

Hope this helps!

Comment

• Thanks, Steve!
            Yes, those are the covers I am referring to. Right now I'm concerned with the intakes but I can see the benefit in removing the pipes for the exhaust covers. I tried to get a dial caliper across a couple of the flats and the best I could come up with was 1.200. Obviously I wasn't getting a good read. There is a Harbor Freight close to work. I might have to make a lunch time trip. Thanks for the tip! Dale

Comment

• Dale,

Search Amazon dot com and/or eBay with the phrase "1-3/16 inch service wrench" and I think you'll see exactly the kind of wrench that slamiste is describing. That's what I use. Also, a little Kroil or other penetrating oil may be in order.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• You were reading my mind, Kevin. I was doing just that. Remember the small holes drilled into the upper covers? Perfect for shooting Kroil into! How's progress on your end?

Dale

Comment

• Found this one on Amazon. Worked like a charm. The different angles made it very handy! Thanks for the tips. Dale

Comment

• Seems like a slow day. Thought I would throw some pictures up. Explored the carb a bit today. It has an "R" on it

Is this the HX 153?

Things seems to move freely.

Dale

Comment

• As my computer has died and just got another one, so I do not know if somebody has answer you question about the "wire" under the gas tank on the bottom center gas tank mount. It look like somebody a long time ago tried to support the rear sparkplug wire to keep it off the cylinders like the early Hedstrom Indians. The Hedstroms Indians had on the bottom center gas tank mounting strap tabs that held a red rubber insulator for the sparkplug wire to go through to keep it off the cylinders. If the Power Plus Indian did it also or just laid the sparkplug wire on the cylinder, I do not know.
                      This my guess!
                      Spacke2speed

Comment

• Thanks, Spacke2speed! Good to hear you are still following along. Your input is much appreciated. I will leave the wire on just because that is the way I got it. I have been making progress getting everything going up and down and round and round. Early on I said I wasn't going to do anything to it. I guess I need to rescind that statement. Everything so far is in remarkable shape. I'll catch up on posts soon. Dale

Comment

• Both of the intake tappets were stuck in their guides. I cleaned up the protruding part and with a lot of Kroil and some gentle tapping with a piece of aluminum rod, they came out.

The rear tappet was knurled. The front wasn't.

Dale

Comment

• While the gear cover was off, I could not resist giving the mag gear a few spins by hand. With that I heard a "crack". The old plug wires were just laying on the motor and produced a nice blue spark. I took the plugs that were in it when I got the bike and twisted the wires on and spun it again. Both fired great. Bad news is that it is still the 25 degree Bosch ZEV. I'll be on the prowl for a 42 degree mag.

Kevin (Shaky Jake) posted pics of the number inside his gear cover and a number stamped on the automatic oiler housing in his thread. I will do the same just in case anyone might be interested. Dale

Comment

• It's good to see you making some progress, Dale. Thanks for posting.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Rats!

Yay!

Valves weren't hateful.

They cleaned up well.

As did the seats.

A bit of lapping and together it went. Dale

Comment

Working...