1917 Powerplus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi,

Steve Slaminko here. I posted an earlier thread on timing a 1917 PowerPlus. I by no means have much knowledge on these bikes but I believe (and have been told by people who claim to know what they're talking about) that my example is pretty correct. It's not original paint and has a few confirmed incorrect parts but I'd be willing to post pictures of any area you're interested in once I can figure out how to do it. I have some family issues going on so I may not respond quickly but I will respond.

Comment

• Harry, Gary, glad you are enjoying this! Good to have you following along.

Steve, I would love to see pictures of others. I learned how to post pictures from a "lesson" by Harry Roberts. He was schooling us in a thread by Steve Little. Check it out. It is very easy to understand and you get to admire some of Steve's amazing handiwork.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...be-restoration

Dale

Comment

• Steve, do you have that little hook under the center tank mount bolt like I showed above? Dale

Comment

• Hi Dale,
          I thought I replied to your question a few days ago but I don't see the reply posted on the thread. So I'll try again. I recently removed the left hand tank. My lower tank hardware is not correct. It consists of relatively modern nuts and bolts with the spacer between the two tanks made from copper tubing. Sorry I couldn't help.

Anyway I've checked into your suggestion on the photo posting so perhaps I'll be able to post some pictures sometime next week

Comment

• Hey Dale,

It's just my opinion, but that center tank bolt with the hook on it doesn't look original to me. It looks like SAE course threads, and also I don't think Indian used those square nuts, and I don't think they used split lock washers that far back. I suspect the bolt was replaced long ago, so it seems like the little hook may have been added at that time, possibly to support a spark plug lead or something. Again, I don't have any positive basis for saying that, just a guess. There's probably someone out there who knows. Also, you could check the parts book.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Very interesting.

Kevin
            Kevin
            https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

• Thanks for chiming in, Steve and Kevin. All three of the tank mounting bolts are the same with one missing the nut and of course only the center one had the wire hook. Also, Steve mentions spacers and mine has none. I would like to get my hands on a 1917 parts book. Any suggestions? I've downloaded the 1916 from the virtual library but there are a lot of differences. Again, thanks for the input. The fun continues! Dale

Comment

• Dale, You can download the 1916 to 1920 parts list here:

http://www.indian-france.com/rtm.html

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Thanks, Kevin. Just what I needed.

On one of the bits of newspaper stuck to the back of the left tank I can make out the name "Clifton Park". Curious as to where this bike has been, I Googled Clifton Park. Seems there is one in Baltimore. I looked at the map and running right through the middle of Clifton Park in Baltimore is Indian Drive! Pretty cool! Dale

Comment

• Got all of the valve hole plugs out and see the gaskets the book calls for. The valves look to be in relatively good shape. Gotta make sure everything goes up and down properly. The motor still won't move with the kick starter but moves by turning the back wheel, though not real easily. Dale

Comment

• Hi Dale,
                      My number 1 son Eli is going to hopefully upload some pictures of my bike. As you can see it was an electric model equipped with the Splitdoff mag dyno. The mag part is bad and I haven't been able to find anyone willing to repair it, and since I want to ride it I'm going to install a Morris Mag substitute. Enjoy"

Comment

• Steve, kudos to Eli. He did a bang up job of posting the pics! Love the pictures. Really love the bike. I will no doubt be pouring over them checking out all the details. Yours is a lot more complete than mine. The first thing that jumps out to me is the seat with the enclosed springs. We touched on that a bit starting at post 38. (Robert Vajda are you reading?) I appreciate you posting the pictures and joining in on the discussion, Steve! Dale

Comment

• Steve, is your brake a v band? what is the year? thanks. gary
                          gww57.com

Comment

• Very nice.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

• Hi Gary,

The bike is a 1917. I'm not sure what you mean by V Band. If you're referring to the band brake on the outside of the drum it's very similar to what's on my JD. It's a metal band with a 1" wide by about 1/8" thick piece of flat asbestos rivoted to it. That likely didn't answer your question so if you could be more specific on what you're asking I'll do my best to answer.

Comment

• thanks, could nt really tell by the shot of the brake. the 17 in parts we bought came with a corbin v band style brake. have been told by folks its incorrect, guess thats why i asked. you ve got a very nice bike to work with.
                                gww57.com

Comment

Working...
                                X