Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What'd you get for Christmas, Eric?

Comment

It wasn't a PowerPlus, but I did get Bruce Palmer's new H-D book. I hope everyone had a fun, and pleasant Christmas, and I hope we all have a great 2015. Looking forward to the Florida Silver Sands meet in March.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Alright! New year, new questions. Can anyone shed some light on the significance of the RX engine number? It doesn't follow the standard pattern for their numbering system and I've only seen it referred to as Model J "special". Dale

Comment

According to this list it stands for 1917 7hp Model J loop frame special, like you said. http://www.amcaotc.org/threads/india...al_numbers.htm

I don't know what that means, but it's very interesting.

Kevin

Kevin
          https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Hey, Kevin! Happy New Year! Good to hear from you. That is the same chart I've looked at before and was curious about the comment "special" with the question mark. Thanks. Dale

Comment

Got a couple of cool reproduction clincher rims from Al McRoberts. Nice guy. Great looking rims. Good price. Got 'em real fast, too! Still working on unlacing the originals. Dale

Comment

Keep us posted.
                Kevin
                https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

That is a pretty amazing machine Dale. It was really great to see those photos! Have you done any research on the seat assembly? It's screaming Harley J-Model to me.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Hi, Cory! I've wondered about the seat because the front mount is hokey and I've only seen pictures of one other that has the enclosed springs. You can faintly make out Messenger 1 on one side. Don't know where else to turn for info. I don't seem to have the knack that Kevin does for digging out information. (Or parts for that matter!) I'll post more pictures in the hope that maybe a J-Model guy will be able to give some input.

It looks like the spring canister shows signs of being red at one time. Dale

Comment

The reason I mentioned it Dale is because it looks an awful lot like a seat I used to have. It ended up sitting on a 1920 J-Model. I'll see if I can dig up photos.
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Here's a couple shots of the seat I mentioned...

Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Good eye, Cory! Other than the cross brace, it looks the same. I went to the virtual library and poked around and it shows the '17 Powerplus as coming with an Indian Troxel saddle. Same with '16 with some models having "Indian Cantilever Comfort Saddle". For '18 they show "Indian Mesinger Special Suspension" with "Troxel-Maslen Saddle at extra cost". So, no Mesinger 1 on a '17. Maybe he took the seat off the same bike the mag came off of! Dale

Comment

Originally posted by painterdale View Post
                            Maybe he took the seat off the same bike the mag came off of! Dale
                            Stranger things have happened!!! The seat I posted came oddly enough with a first year Powerplus!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

HMMMM, Interesting! The plot thickens! Dale

Comment

Finally finished unlacing the front wheel. 36 spokes, only broke 3. The spokes were covered with grime on the hub end. Once cleaned they appeared to be nickel plated then painted black. Dale

Comment

Working...
                                X