No announcement yet.

1917 Powerplus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the response, Steve. I agree, I would want the correct one. I was just curious if it would have run because it looks like the mag has been there a long time. Dale

Comment

Painterdale
      On you PP, that is a tool box with the Indian script latch is on the left side which now has a fuse block on its lid, not the battery box. Your battery box is on the right side just above the sidecar mount bracket. The Eric Smith’s literature shows the battery box on the left side, but the tool box and battery box can be mounted on either side. The battery box is notched along the top of the backside for the wiring and has a vertical rod that keeps both the side door and the removable lid locked in place. Remove the locking rod and the side door opens up and the lid come off for easy battery replacement. On the inside of the door on the tool box there should be a list of the tools that come with the motorcycle from the factory. I still have a tool box which has that list inside it, in a box of stuff somewhere in my garage attic.
      I use to tour my 1914 Indian with two tool boxes and not battery box because that allowed me to carry more tools and spare parts. Because I mounted gas lights (and used them), I did not mount my battery boxes. If you are going to be riding you PP a lot on public roads, a working battery box (electrical system) is useful for powering a brake light, keeps you from getting pulled over a lot by the Highway Patrol for no stop light ---- do not ask how I know this ---- not easy to have a gas powered brake light.
      As far as not having a luggage rack, note the extensions on the rear axle. These are for mounting a tandem (passenger) seat. Most tandem seats would require removal of the luggage rack.
      As far as the Splitdorf magneto/dyno unit, I have seen them on Excelsior (45deg) and Indian (42deg). I have seen people running them on tours with no problems, they were in good working condition and adjusted correctly. I still have one of those Splitdorf mag/dynos in a box of stuff somewhere in my garage attic.
      There are two versions of the Splitdorf switch block on the Indian supplement that Eric Smith showed, the early version does not have and the later version does has an on/off switch for the horn, so back then, kids would not be able to honk the horn by just pressing the handle bar switch.
      The electrical end and cap on the taillight wiring is not the correct Indian taillight version.
      ABC Generator has a battery and a non-battery system for electrical lighting also. Their early Indian version mounted on the tube below the gas tank and above the linkage boss on the front down tube. On the Indian, they would require a pulley mounted to an extension off the motor sprocket nut. In the Iron Redskin, there is a picture of two Hedstrom Indians on a mountain pass with ABC generators mounted.
      Hope some of this will help
      Spacke2speed

Comment

You can see the ABC generator in this picture. Not intended for use with bellbottoms
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Spacke2speed View Post
          ...As far as not having a luggage rack, note the extensions on the rear axle. These are for mounting a tandem (passenger) seat. Most tandem seats would require removal of the luggage rack...

Spacke2speed, you sir are a wealth of information as usual. I wondered what those extensions on the rear axle were for. The passenger seat makes sense.

Dale, are you going to restore this one, or just fix it and ride it? Or just bring it out in the light and admire it on sunny days? I'm jut curious; the bike would be well suited to any one of these options. On my '16, since it will be a rider and not a 100 point restoration, I'm considering retrofitting some old or reproduction tail and headlight housings with LED bulbs, and then just running a total loss battery system that can be recharged overnight when the bike is parked.

Kevin

Kevin
          https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Wow! Fantastic! I knew this would be the place to get educated. Spacke2speed, I have to agree with Kevin, you are a wealth of information. It makes sense about the tool box, judging from the small bits and pieces I found in there. Inside the door is a bit of paper that you can read "company" on. I feel a little better about the taillight connector because one day while rolling the bike around it got caught in the spokes and broke. Oops! Brittle little piece. If you should decide that the mag-dynamo ever needs a new home please keep me in mind. Kevin, I definitely don't want to restore it. I want to get it in operable condition and I like to think I would ride it but I also like to think I ride my other bikes, too! Dale

Comment

Originally posted by painterdale View Post
              Kevin, I definitely don't want to restore it. I want to get it in operable condition and I like to think I would ride it but I also like to think I ride my other bikes, too! Dale
              That's what I would do, too.

Kevin

Kevin
              https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Next I would like to consider knocking some of that grime off and would like to hear what others have used successfully without disturbing what might be underneath. I know there must be a lot of "secrets" out there! Also, tires. White or black? Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge! Dale

Comment

Dale, let me ask a dumb question here. The magneto unit on this bike makes juice for the lights as well as spark to the engine? Thanks, Bob
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

That Bosch magneto will not power lights. Indian used the Splitdorf mag/dyno that needed a battery in 1917. In 1917, Harley-Davidson used a Remy unit that was a generator, distributor, and power distribution device (but not a magneto) and needed a battery. Dale's Bosch magneto appears to be a clockwise H-D, or Excelsior mag so it's a bit off for proper timing, although it will still work.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, ya got me lost here. So the mag puts out the spark. What powers the lights? Bob
                      AMCA #3149

Comment

Hi Bob! The Splitdorf has 2 armatures, one on top of the other. One is the magneto, the other is the generator to charge the battery. Dale

Comment

Thank you Dale. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Bob
                          AMCA #3149

Comment

What Dale currently has will not power lights, so you need a generator of some sort. His bike is what they typically called a 'non-electric' because it had no lighting. In post 18, you'll see a non-electric Indian that has been retrofitted with an aftermarket ABC generator.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Happy Holidays and best wishes to everyone! Dale

Comment

Same to you Dale, and everyone else. I asked my wife to get me a PowerPlus for Christmas. I've got my fingers crossed.
                                Eric Smith
                                AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                                X