More problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More problems

Seams like every time I turn around I have another problem with my 36 engine project. I bought a set of .020 over pistons from EGGE a while back. Finally found somone who will bore the cylinders. Problem is: cylinders will not clean up at .020, but will at .040. EGGE doesn't have any more .040, so will need to go to .050 which they have. I don't see any problem other than I will be loosing some cyl wall. Might be one more bore left, as they do make a .060 piston.What do you think? Stan

Just my opinion but I would sell the egge pistons and get another set at 40, I would like to save as much of the cylinder walls as I could. I have forged Venolia pistons in my Deluxe - a bit pricey but I like em.

Comment

Just noticed your in so cal, Venolia is in long beach (213)636-9329. Their good folks, take em a piston and show em what you want and they will tell ya what they recomend. I was real impressed with em, good luck Tom.

Comment

I would hesitate to go that large! you are giving up alot if you ask me! I would seek a second opinion on it as stated before. E-Mail me for a scource on the pistons,I had a four with eggs in them and they are now gone ! onedollarbill@hushmail.com

Comment

Indian 4 pistons

Ross Racing Pistons from California make Indian 4 pistons any size you want. Just give them your bore size. They are a modern forged piston. You will have to bush your rods for the wrist pins. I have had good luck with them. Their phone # is (310) 536-0100.

Comment

Stan,
            If my memory is correct........which is questionable......I previously shared with you the remedy used on my '37. Used NOS H.D. 45 c.i. pistons, metric wrist pins (honda 250) bushed and buttoned fabricated of 6061 Aluminum. Reamed original rod bushings to mate the metric wrist pins. Might make the purist shake their heads but it works. Just another option if you need it.
            jww

Comment

I would see if it cleans up at .025 and turn a .030 piston down to match. With luck you can get an extra overbore that way. That cylinder stock is too precious to waste.

Comment

jww, You have a good memory, I do recall what you said. To start with I couldn't even find the honda rist pins, so I gave up going down that road. I ended up buying the Egge pistons. Now from what some have said they are not too good, but I think they were as good as stock pistons of the 30's. I am looking into another source. anybod need .020 pistons? Stan

Comment

Hey Inline4: Can you tell me what went wrong with the Egge pistons, as they have been available and used for many years. One would expect all the gliches be out of them by now. I realize they arent forged but niether were the originals were they?...Joe

QUOTE]Originally posted by INLINE4NUT
                  I would hesitate to go that large! you are giving up alot if you ask me! I would seek a second opinion on it as stated before. E-Mail me for a scource on the pistons,I had a four with eggs in them and they are now gone ! onedollarbill@hushmail.com [/QUOTE]

Comment

I did ask Egge if their pistons were forged, the person I talked to said they were. Stan

Comment

Thanks Stan: Good price if they are in fact forged. Egge tells me they also make the pistons for one or two other Four Cylinder rebuiulders with thier name on em. In thierWebsite list they include Henderson as another four cylinder piston among hundred of auto pistons for many years. I would hope they have the bugs out by now...Joe

Comment

Partsnut,sorry it took so long to respond,we had a hard time fitting them up and they didnt seem quite right from the get go had may problems afterwards and was only 20 over,after I took them out and bought esle where my problems have only been from riding smoke free and face cramps from smiling sooooo much when I ride !!

Comment

Well inline:- I'v never ridden a Indian or any four cylinder. Heard em idle is all till I finally got mine running after ten years of hard work on it. Almost ready to take er out for the first time soon. After the long long wait, hope it makes me smile Egge Pistons and all. A smile like yourself, hopefully. Thanks for the reply......Joe

Comment

Partshunt, I have been working on my 36 four since the middle 80's. Seams like somethine else takes my time or money. I am retired now and will be able to spend more time on this project. I had the lower end done when Ken Young was still in long beach. Have most of the sheet metal except for the chain guard. Still missing a few small items, but have the more hard to get items. Hope your four runs out ok. Stan

Comment

I have nothing againts egge pistons, I just went with venolia and was very pleased. Inlinefournut - glad your four is doing so well and your smile cramps cracked me up. Stan - its a crack up I know a couple guys like you. Do you know Ed Metsner? He has a KJ, he has had for about 40 years, he just got it done and is ridding it some. He had the bottom end done by Ken too in the 60's I think. He is here in So Cal to, I spent many an afternoon in Ken Youngs shop in the 80's, you get that four done and sometime we can all get together and go for a ride around palos verdes. If you dont mind ridding with Hendersons :-), I do it regularly on my Deluxe. It would be quite cool to have a couple four cylinders run around the coast.
                              Hope things start going smoother for you Stan, I would like to see ya out on that Indian.

Comment

Working...
                              X