No announcement yet.

Swapping shifter from right to left side on 439

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be simple you will learn to ride the Indian and the HD will sit in the corner waiting for you to come back which you won't hahahaha fire away boys!

Comment

That one made me grin Phil..... You won't hear pot shots from my direction. I'm still a little brand confused. That Slojo fella has a term for such things....
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

There is an exploded parts diagram for the Harley left to right shifter adapter, which could give clues for how to do it on the Indian.

Comment

Thanks. The Indian parts book clearly shows all the bits and pieces required to make the swap on the shifter.

regards,
          Rob
          Regards,
          Rob Sigond
          AMCA # 1811

Comment

Traditionally the Indians were right hand shift, left throttle. You could get them the opposite, the dealer could switch it at your request, for a nominal fee. Of course that's not including foot shift models like verticals. My 1930 4 cyl. was converted to left shift and right throttle when I got it. My buddy who has Harleys even switched the foot clutch lever at the trans. on his chief to make it "toe to go" by rotating the lever so the rod connects at the bottom position. This is shown in the Chief manual. It just made it easier for him, he's in his 80's and set in his ways. Whatever helps you enjoy the ride is what it's all about. Just have fun!

Comment

Found an original left hand shift lever and all the other parts from the right side shift simply swapped over to that shifter. This morning I swapped the cables (owner apparently had cut them so could not just swap what they controlled) and solved my stiff twist grip issues. Not sure what my late friend used for grease, but it is more like lapping compound. Once I cleaned that out of the twist grip area, they both worked smooth and easy.

Need to order a new battery and check drop the float bowl for an inspection and maybe float replacement and I should be ready for the maiden voyage.

regards,
              Rob
              Regards,
              Rob Sigond
              AMCA # 1811

Comment

Rob,

I had the same issue when I first bought my 36 Cheif. Been riding HD hand shifts for about 40 years and everything being opposite was troublesome for me not to mention the only book I got with it was for 40 and up Cheifs. It says first is all the way forward. Well that is true for 40 but 36 shifts on the tranny and first is all the way back. Can't tell you how many times I stalled that sucked out in the drive way and not to mention reving the throttle or retarding the timing in the panic. I'm too old a dog to learn too many new tricks. My neighbors must havebeen rolling on the floor and had a good laugh watching me struggle with that bike. I finally decided that one thing I needed to do was get the throttle and spark switched so I didn't kill my self. I know, sacraliege to true Indian riders but.... Once I found out the correct position for first and switched the throttle to the right I was good to go. Some may think it weird but I simply reach over to shift and I am perfectly comfortable doing it. It took about 10 minutes to get the clutch deal squared away but now it is firmly planted that it is heel to go on Indian. The simple switch over of the throttle and spark cables solved the panic situation dilema for me. I bought the lever to switch to left hand shift and it sits on the shelf as the throttle situation solved my issues plus now any Indian rider will be confused ????? when they try to ride my bike with the throttle on the right. That bike is a blast to ride and light and nimble and good power to weight ratio. Have fun with however you work it out!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                AMCA # 12766

Comment

Working...
                X