No announcement yet.

Safest Fuel for Indian Fours.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, just scratch your head a little, and think this through. It's pretty simple.
    60 mph equals a mile a minute, or 5280 feet per minute. 5280 feet divided by tire circumference gives you rear wheel rpm (revolutions per minute).
    Now divide # of teeth on rear wheel by # of teeth on tranny output (should be around 1.9 or so) and multiply times wheel rpm to get tranny output rpm at 60 mph.
    Now get the ratio of the ring and pinion by dividing the # of teeth on the ring gear by the # of teeth on the pinion gear and multiply that ratio times the tranny output rpm. That final result will be your engine rpm at 60 mph. .. To get your rpm at 45 mph multiply your 60mph result times (45/60 = .75)
    Rpm at 75 (75/60) =1.25 x your 60mph result.
    use a calculator, please .. can do long hand with a little rounding, but....

Comment

Thanks
      phill, and Indian Tomfiii, been thinkin of do the calc like you suggest. I will get the final ration out of the crown and pinion then go from there like you suggest. I can submit my figures here if you like and you pitch in, again, thanks for your formula...Circumference for the wheel is dia X 3.314 isnt it?....Joe
      Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

OK here are the numbers.

-road speed; at 60 MPH
        -motor; 17 tooth bevel gear
        -trans input; 28 tooth crown gear
        -trans output; 18 tooth sprocket
        -rear whl sprocket; 40 teeth
        -R/Whl: 4.00 X 18 Tire O/Dia is 26 inch.

I get 2839 RPM at 60 MPH. Please check and correct me if wrong, however my figure apears quite civil.

From the calculator Tomfiii submitted, I get 2839 RPM at 60 MPH
        Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

That what I got too.
          Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. I guese the RPM is not too bad but a four sounds like its overspeeding when on the highway. One more gear to settle it down would be good for just cruising level and easy on the motor it seems to me. However, that RPM at 2900 seems prety well normal for those bikes I supose. thanks..Joe
            Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

I thought I'd reply to this old thread in case anyone is interested. Someone mentioned getting non-ethanol gasoline at marinas. In Central NY, near Oneida Lake there are a number on Indian owned Sav-On gas stations. This year, they started selling non-ethanol gasoline in 3 grades at two of their stations near Oneida Lake. It's only a few cents more per gallon than their normal gas.

Another point I thought I'd mention is a few months ago, I learned that the ethanol in our gas is not put into the gas until the truck that takes it to the station is filled for delivery. The gas in the tanks at the distributor has no ethanol in it. I have not yet checked, but I would like to think that you might be able to buy non-ethanol gas from the distributor. When I get a chance, I'm going down to the port of Albany and see if that is possible.

regards,
              Rob
              Regards,
              Rob Sigond
              AMCA # 1811

Comment

Working...
              X