Fitting heavy cylinders to engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting heavy cylinders to engine

How do you guys go about fitting your cylinders to your engines ? So far I can see a problem with using a ring compressor and feeding piston through bottom of cyl whilst fitted to conrod. The other way shown in most Indian manuals is fitting piston into cyl with piston wrist pin hole exposed, holding it all over the conrod and getting that pin in ! Either way, a crane would be useful - am I going in the right direction here ? Can't bear the thought of messing this part of the build up.
    Regards
    Paul
    AMCA#24040 - too many toys - not enough time

Paul;
    I fitted the pistons with rings to the connecting rod then used ring compressor; lowered cylinder onto this assembly (Please see pg 6) in our overhaul manual. Then repeat process with front cylinder. An extra set of hands would be useful. Once you have cylinders on make sure everything lines/fits up valve covers, manifold, BEFORE ":torquing" anything down. Take your time. Let me know.

Comment

IMG_3775.jpeg IMG_3779.jpeg

...here's one way to do it. There's a bit of risk involved because if you manage to drop a clip or something else into the case then you're screwed!
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Also if you have cams installed you want to back off the tappets,rotate the flywheels so both valves are closed on the cylinder you are installing,snug down then rotate to do the same for other cylinder while lining up the intake.
        tom

Comment

Sliding a piece of wood under piston with slot for rod to keep piston level will help.

Comment

I always cheated, Paul!

Just crumpled cardboard boxes did fine to free my hands, by supporting the cylinders with installed pistons, but then later I found some great styro blocks to carve.

...Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Ok, general consensus seems to be to lower cyl with piston installed onto rod, supporting said cyl and piston by various means ... thankyou.

I've taken note of Toms reference to aligning intake manifold before final tightening of cyl base nuts ... nice tip ..thankyou.

Regards
              Paul
              AMCA#24040 - too many toys - not enough time

Comment

Working...
              X