looking for points for a 1947 Indian chief with a Edison Splitorf mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for points for a 1947 Indian chief with a Edison Splitorf mag

Hello!I was hoping for a little help. I have been having a hard time starting my 47 with a Edison-Splitdorf Magneto. I think I figured out the problem. The rotor connection point seems to be burnt off. I ordered a new rotor and cap from enfield racing but I cant find points for a Edison-Splitdorf RM Magneto. Anyone know where I could find a set?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Fred Leach
    Cape Cod Ma.
    1946 Indian Chief
    1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster Bonni
    2014 Indian #450 Chieftain
    2013 Vic Vision

Have you tried Mainely Magnetos? http://www.mainelymagnetos.com/MagnetoParts.html
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thank you Pisten-bully I will definetly reach out to them
      Fred Leach
      Cape Cod Ma.
      1946 Indian Chief
      2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Good luck finding new points! I've never found a source for them. I would carefully resurrect the originals by dressing them flat and clean. As long as they are not worn through the tungsten they will be fine, if flat, clean and gapped properly.

Comment

they are worn down low but not all the way. Its past do for a change but I may need to keep them. Mainely responded to me right away, but they don't have any. The bike is just very very hard to start. I thought I found the problem with the rotor. The tip was burnet off. But it's still hard to start. By the way if anyone is looking for a rotor or a cap I found them at Enfieldracing.com I am going to start at the spark plug and work my way back. I'm hoping it's something simple. I set the timing by advancing the timing then setting the pointe to brake at the $. The the screw is stripped holding the wire going from the pounce to the condenser. Someone soldered it on.
          Fred Leach
          Cape Cod Ma.
          1946 Indian Chief
          2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Hi did you try Kent ? 603 585 6933

Comment

Welcome to the magneto ignition late model Chief hard starting club! Indian first raised compression on the Chief in 1927, when the first removable head was introduced. In 1928, the kick starter sector and gear were changed to give a different starter drive ratio, due to hard starting. As the years went on, compression was raised even more, making starting a bit harder with a magneto, especially if it is weak. Battery ignition isn't a problem, because it produces a very hot spark, even at slow starting speeds. Magneto ignition requires a certain speed to create a spark strong enough to jump the plug gap and start the engine. As a magneto speeds up, the spark gets hotter, so once started it will run fine, just gotta get started first!

Some things to consider:

1. Do you have the correct starter gear setup? Study the parts book and you'll find one set of starter gears for magneto ignition, one for battery ignition. They are different ratios, an attempt to spin the engine faster while starting with a magneto.

2. Is the mag producing a hot spark in the first place? Over time they can lose some of the magnetism and that creates a weaker spark at low RPM. With the cap assembly removed, kick the engine over hard and have another set of eyes on the mag, dim light helps. You should see a good hot, blue spark jumping from the high tension lead located inside the center of the hole at the top of the mag, jumping to ground. Try this at all positions of spark advance. It should be the hottest at about 1/2 retard. Also, there should be very little, if any, sparking noted at the points. If the points are sparking, the condenser is bad. If the jump spark at the high tension lead is weak, yellowish or absent, then the mag needs work. Most likely culprit is the magnet needs a proper recharge. If the spark is weak, try removing the plugs and kicking it over. This will allow higher speeds turning the engine over and the spark should be better.

3. If the mag is making a reasonable spark, a helpful trick is to pinch the spark plug gaps down to .015" and try starting. You could even try .010". The smaller gap will allow the spark to jump the gap at a lower rpm, hopefully making it start. Also, carefully inspect the plugs, wires and all connections for perfect continuity.

Good luck!

Comment

WOW Thank you gharper! That is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get. I really want to try and save the original mag. Everything you said makes sense. I have only had the bike running a few times. Once it's started it runs great. I will check the gear's 1st. It seems to be mostly original Bonniville parts. Kicker is an 80" kicker. closing the gap on the plugs is also a great idea.

Fred Leach
                Cape Cod Ma.
                1946 Indian Chief
                2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Ok this plot thickens. I have spark at the mag (see pic) no spark jumping at the points. So the fat guy (me) kept kicking. I attached my cheap harber freight plug lite to the front plug and bam I got a spark. Next kick! No spark. 10 kicks no spark. So I put it on the back plug and bang! Got a spark. Then 10 or so kicks no spark. Arggg I’m confused. Could it be the condenser? Looks original.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Fred Leach
                  Cape Cod Ma.
                  1946 Indian Chief
                  2013 Vic Vision

Comment

This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Fred Leach
                    Cape Cod Ma.
                    1946 Indian Chief
                    2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Fastfred;

I know zip about magnetos:

All I got to offer is in the AMCA Magazine Archives:

Fall 2011 Volume 50 Number 3
                      Restoring, Riding and Repairing pg 64 By Red Fred Johansen
                      Tracking Down the
                      Source of Magneto Failures
                      By Charles M. Falco PART 1

Winter 2011 Volume 50 Number 4
                      Restoring, Riding and Repairing pg 65 By Red Fred Johansen
                      Solving the Problem of Magneto Condenser Failures By Charles M. Falco Part 2

Look them over hope they help.

Comment

Thank you PaulCDF. I will check it out.
                        Fred Leach
                        Cape Cod Ma.
                        1946 Indian Chief
                        2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Did reducing the plug gap help at all?

Comment

It did help but didn't solve it. I think I need to rebuild my condenser. Or find one that will work in a old mag. I feel like im getting close to solving this thanks to everyone's help. This site is awsome!!
                            Fred Leach
                            Cape Cod Ma.
                            1946 Indian Chief
                            2013 Vic Vision

Comment

So just a update. With all the info I have gotten and all the reading I have done it looks like there is a good chance the condenser is just dead or close to it. Thats my next approach. I can't get a condenser for a 75yo mag so I am going to try and rebuild the one I have. I am going with a thorcap kit ( thorcap.com ). I will post once I do it with some pictures and how it works out. It will take some time because this is coming from Denmark. Fingers crossed. Alot of the fun owning bikes like this is keeping it alive. I feel like i'm getting closer. I am heading to Oley in a couple weeks I will keep a eye out for a second condenser to keep if this doesn't work.
                              Last edited by Fastfred116; 04-05-2023, 09:07 AM.
                              Fred Leach
                              Cape Cod Ma.
                              1946 Indian Chief
                              2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Working...
                              X