No announcement yet.

looking for points for a 1947 Indian chief with a Edison Splitorf mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different plugs can make a big difference on starting with a mag.Try the brand you hate ! or other brands

Comment

Isn't there a way to test a condenser with a multimeter? I've not done it, but if I recall you set the multimeter to ohms and measure the drop...something like that!
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

no magneto expert but some thoughts
        You can do some basic tests with an ohm meter open ,closed or a resistance.
        I did hvac work so always used a capacitor tester.
        I also suggest you read the above mentioned Charles Falco,s writings ,User name on this site I believe is Magnetoman , is probably the best tech I have read about magnetos and condensers from a scientist first hand, with not only with the expertise but also the necessary test equipment to properly test magneto condensers,under load,temp,time etc, and recommend replacement options for condensers.
        Tom
        Last edited by tfburke3; 04-20-2023, 11:01 AM.

Comment

One of the things I enjoyed about Mr. Falcos' articles was the history:

"One of the reasons for the similarity in designs among magnetos appearing on bikes from manufacturers in several countries is that many of these devices are descended from the same ancestor. In 1914, the British suddenly found themselves at war with the country from whom they purchased all of their aircraft magnetos, and with no domestic alternative. Having no time to develop a new design from scratch, they blatantly copied the Bosch magnetos they had previously purchased from Germany. I suppose if the British had lost the war, being sued for patent infringement would have been the least of their worries."

(I'm sure WE would NOT make a mistake like that again)

Please let us know how you make out with the Thorcap.
          Last edited by PaulCDF; 04-06-2023, 11:19 AM.

Comment

PaulCDF I couldn't agree more. I love History and that gave a good glimpse of how things came about. And also how he studied the breakdown of bikes in Irland for years tracing it back to bad condensers. Very good read.
            Fred Leach
            Cape Cod Ma.
            1946 Indian Chief
            1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster Bonni
            2014 Indian #450 Chieftain
            2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Working...
            X