Front fender running light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front fender running light

Hello, I'm in the later stages of re-assembling my '48 Chief. Can someone tell me what is the correct routing of the wire for the front fender running light? Should it be included in the woven headlight conduit, or does it go from the switch (as a single wire) to the terminal holder on the headlight mount.
    thanx,
    Tom

Wire goes directly to ignition switch. Believe wiring diagram shows that. Pics of how mine is from where it exits fender and up. Not say'in its 100% correct.

Fender light.jpg

Fender light 2.jpg

fender light3.jpg
    Attached Files
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I suggest taking a look at Jerry Greer's site and the pictures they've posted of the restoration process for a '48 Chief. Here's one such picture:

greer's.jpg
      I also found that wire routing is hardly documented anywhere for Indians, I went to several meets and shows and snooped around other Chiefs and found that most, if not all, girder fork Chiefs used the same small connector for the fender lamp that Greer's shows on the lower cross member of the fork, here's mine:

1946 here.jpg

.. and here's what I determined "could be" correct for wiring from the fork to the dash:

wiring.jpg

As I say, I only base this on what I've seen on other Chiefs, and Greer's is extremely reliable on restoring Chiefs to original...so that's what I went with!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by pisten-bully; 02-16-2023, 09:30 AM.
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks for correction Harry. That sure looks original to me. I did not know they had such detailed photos like that.
        Jason Zerbini
        Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
        Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Hello, thanx pisten-bully and skirted for your responses, I was not aware of the restoration images on Greer's website. The images show two examples that are slightly different in themselves(one in woven conduit and one is just a wire). And they both differ from the method seen in the image provided by pisten-bully. To reiterate, my question is what is the routing of the front fender running light wire from the ignition switch to the terminal on the headlight support bracket.
          thank you again,
          TomScreenshot_20230216-131905.pngScreenshot_20230216-125312-670.png

Comment

...here's three different Chiefs I took pictures of 10+ years ago. If you find a source showing the factory method of running that wire, please let us know...I never was able to find that!

image_36590.jpgimage_36589.jpg

784D3A27-DC86-4656-8C45-C0E8BDB0F1B5.jpeg
            Last edited by pisten-bully; 02-16-2023, 02:21 PM.

Comment

...and this one is an OP Chief:

OP Chief.jpg

...and another I took 10+ years ago :

Left side 2.jpg

Comment

Thanx for the images pisten-bully, it's a small detail and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I think I'm just going to wing it, and do what makes me happy.
                tom

Comment

Tom, from what I've seen, just put the wires in asphalt loom and run them over the lower triple tree between the shock and the left spring. If it's not correct then at least you'll be in good company!
                  Last edited by pisten-bully; 02-17-2023, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Okay here's a few pictures of what I did:

My Wiring A.JPGMy Wiring B view from front.JPGMy Wiring C.JPG

And a picture of a 1950 Chief I snagged from Parkers Indians Australia ("Idea" photos not reference):

1950Chief Wiring Parkers AU.jpg
                    And finally a 1946 from recent auction (Looks like something I would do):

MW 46 G Wiring.jpg

Good Luck!

Comment

Pisten-bully and skirted, thanx again for your help.
                      tom

Comment

something a little .. .. . different

thumb_IMG_8319_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_8318_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_8317_1024.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by blacknight55 View Post
                          I've seen a few of those over the years. Automotive accessory.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37451706497...p2047675.l2557
                          Last edited by Rubone; 03-21-2023, 06:28 PM.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                          X