12 volt agm battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt agm battery

What brand and part number 12 volt agm battery do you guys run in a Kiwi battery shell? Or what are the inside dimensions of the shell?
    Thanks!

Here is a link to a recent discussion of 12 volt batteries on this forum:

chief 12v battery recommedation - AMCA Forum (antiquemotorcycle.org)

I don't know the internal dimensions of the Kiwi battery shell, I got mine from Ziggy, I am sure Mike Tomas could give you the dimensions and most likely would also have a battery that would fit.

My shell measures: 5-3/4" x 3" x 6"

I believe Starklite also sells shells as well as shell & battery kits.

If considering a Lithium Ion battery. The Lithium Ion battery option carries the following CAUTION: "This battery must be used with an electronic regulator or a new Cycle Electric Generator. IT WILL NOT WORK WITH AN ORIGINAL CHARGING SYSTEM! The original stock mechanical Cutouts and Regulators will overcharge the battery within 30 miles and cause it to catch fire."
    Last edited by PaulCDF; 05-04-2022, 05:07 PM.

Comment

check out deka.Made in pa ,they also make harleydavidison's batteries.
      Cheapest price was to order online from lowes.Took 5 days to pickup at my local store with a manufacture date 2 days earlier..
      I got the largest that would fit in a Starklite shell etx14.Most group 14 powersport batteries are about the same size.
      Tom

Comment

Thanks. Who is Ziggy?

Comment

Originally posted by cwilli View Post
          Thanks. Who is Ziggy?
          https://www.ziggysmotorworks.com/
          Jason Zerbini
          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

The nicest battery boxes I have seen are from'the battery box guy" chris daniels 704 236 5410 cdaniel677@ aol.com
            They are year correct not one size fits all.
            The Starklite is really a cover with no bottom and doennt like the frog bolt to tight.It works but my next one for 38 will be from Chris.
            Tom

Comment

I use an Anti Gravity lithium battery, I recommend buying from this vendor, good people that ride:

https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/

The battery is much smaller than the available space provided in the battery box. The lithium came with really nice foam padding, I cut as needed to make a snug fit. You need lithium specific battery tender and charger, only down side. Upside is I bought the charger 3 years ago and I have never needed to use it. Technology and all of that.

Comment

Interesting; which Anti Gravity Lithium fits your shell? Must be an issue with their site when I went to Lithium Ion Batteries the only item that came us was self fusing tape. Have to try again later thanks for the tip.

Comment

This is the one I have on my 45, fits inside the battery box no issues. I could not find receipt to find out whose battery box I have, but pretty sure Battery Box Guy. battery was recommended for kick only motorcycle in my CC range.
                  IMG_3646.jpgIMG_3647.jpg

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Lithium batteries combining the best characteristics for our app are LIFePO4. One thing to note, these are starter not storage batteries like traditional LA or even AGM’s. Because of internal efficiency and construction they bring more amps to the starting phase and can achieve more depth of discharge (DOD) in the process without damage. Therefore it is not apple to apple comparison on amp hour (Ah) ratings with traditional storage batteries so they use a PB Ah equivalent formula. A typical Shorai BS 06 lists a Pb Ah rating of 18 A in the side data panel, flip it over and on the bottom and it lists only 6.0 Ah at 6.6V using traditional measurement.

Lithiums assume use of modern alternators which duty cycle at lower rpm and higher outputs than our old generators. 32E’s come “more alive”, shall we say, than Autolites or Millers when converted to two brush so the following not as much an issue. But, whenever I have - or can make with grinding of the case - the room, I try to fit two batteries wired in parallel for a little more reserve as performed on 8 of 9 of my machines running this setup.
                    Cheerio,
                    Peter
                    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Peter;
                      I like your idea of running two Shorai in parallel; I read and re-read your Nov 2006 post on this
                      but I got confused (Not hard to do). I run 12 volt with Cycle Electrics.

My question:
                      In your 2006 post you mention running two Shorai BS06's for 6 volt application on your Indian and
                      on your R69S BMW you run the 12 volt version. To be clear on the BMW you are using Shorai BS12's?

Thanks.

Comment

Howdy sir,

This is the 1 out of the 9 not running paired batteries, rather, 1 Shorai BS12v on the lovely BTH 100 watt conversion that can be viewed at my link below. Besides having no room for two batteries, I essentially need a battery only as a charging system capacitor as it’s load demands are nearly non existent with LED head and taillight and a magneto based CD ignition. I might mention I have had 4 more Shoria’s and their speciality charger on back order for 3 months now……supply chain issues, you know.

https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...R69S/i-2DRJzpm
                        Cheerio,
                        Peter
                        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Working...
                        X