46 and 47 Front forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46 and 47 Front forks

Hello. I am new to the forum and new to owning Vintage Indians. I jumped in feet 1st. I just invested in a 1947 Chief Roadmaster Bonneville (BM) and a 46 Chief. I am starting the proses of figuring out what is original and what is reproduction. I am very lucky to have a friend that really knows vintage Indians. My question is how can you tell a original / correct front end on a 46 & 47? Any help would be great. Thank you.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Fred Leach
    Cape Cod Ma.
    1946 Indian Chief
    1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster Bonni
    2014 Indian #450 Chieftain
    2013 Vic Vision

Welcome to the forum! Off the top of my head one difference I know is 46 has shorter link shackles. I believe 4" hole center to center. 47 and 48 shackles are 4-3/8" center to center. I know 48 utilized more grease fittings on the girder linkage assembly vs 46 but can't be specific on 47.
    I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    Last edited by Skirted; 03-21-2022, 11:26 AM.
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Welcome! If you don't already have one, pick up a copy of Jerry Hatfield's Indian Motorcycle Restoration Guide as it covers lots of details
      BOOK, THE NEW INDIAN MOTORCYCLE RESTORATION GUIDE 1932-1953
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Another source is:
        The Indian Motocycle Restoration Guide 1932-1953 by Jerry Hatfield (there is an early and a later edition)

Nice Bikes!

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
          Welcome! If you don't already have one, pick up a copy of Jerry Hatfield's Indian Motorcycle Restoration Guide as it covers lots of details
          Here's the link to the book:

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.com/p/book/13835
          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

An original 1947 Indian front end will have one year only roller ( needle) bearings in the link pivot points. They may have been replaced as this was not a good idea, too much wear on the links, the links were not hard enough.

Comment

WOW Thank you everyone! The book is on its way!! This is a BIG help!
              Fred Leach
              Cape Cod Ma.
              1946 Indian Chief
              2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Manheimer View Post
                An original 1947 Indian front end will have one year only roller ( needle) bearings in the link pivot points. They may have been replaced as this was not a good idea, too much wear on the links, the links were not hard enough.
                Lyle, my '46 (mid 2000's number) had needle bearings in it, the links are proper '46.

Comment

Thanks, I did not know that. I am pretty sure later 1946 Chiefs also shared the same ammeter.

Comment

any chance someone has a pic of the links?
                    Fred Leach
                    Cape Cod Ma.
                    1946 Indian Chief
                    2013 Vic Vision

Comment

I should have said link shafts were not hard enough and the needle bearings caused premature wear. In 1948 they went back to bushings. I have no pictures and it has been a while since I looked at mine but I am pretty sure the holes in the girder are the same size regardless of whether bearings or bushings were used. Most needle bearing front ends have been updated to bushings due to link shaft wear.

Comment

Here's a pretty good detailed description of the link shafts from an earlier forum post (click the top line of the link below, not the bottom line):

Comment

Thanks Harry That is good information.

Comment

Working...
                          X