Indian Seat Pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Seat Pans

Can someone provide a pic(s) of a '40 to '42 Chief or Four original seat pan, from the bottom? Hatfield's Indian book only shows covered pans and from the top only, with the only distinguishing factors being a longer nose and rolled over leather on the edges for '40 and up versus the "open edge" seam used prior to '40. I have multiple pans assembled over the years and looking to determine what is right before I decide to maybe sell what I don't need. The one's I have are a mix. Here's a few pics.

IMG_9345.JPEG
    IMG_9346.JPEG

These two seats above are the same pan as far as general appearance and they both have holes, except the one on the left has the two lugs for the side seat protectors that I understand were only on police bikes in the later 40's, not '40-'42. The rolled over leather edge would be correct for '40's. The seat on the right is the open edge, which I assume would be pre '40.

Here are two more...

IMG_9347.JPEG
    IMG_9348.JPEG

These are the same in general appearance, but with NO holes in the pan. If I recall, I think the uncovered pan had an open edge on it, as does the other pan.

So, are any of these correct for a '40-'42, at least enough to have them recovered? The leather is toast on most of them. I do have a re-pop as well, but that was not worth posting in this discussion. If I am wrong with anything I stated, let me know.

Thank in advance!

I'm sure another member who has had he same seats will respond soon, though when I once thought I had found a deep pan Mesinger seat, Wayne Hagler helped me identify the pan correctly. Heather's Leathers also has photos for reference, though I don't know if this type of pan is shown. Contact sales@heathersleathers.com or Chuck & JoeAnn at The Saddle Shop 386-690-3797.
    Jim Parker of Parker Indian in Australia also does various types of Indian model restoration and might have the answer. Contact jim@parkerindian.com.au and ask him.
    Good luck.
    -JR

Comment

The pan to use on the 40-42 is the vented pan on the right in the first picture without the side protector studs. 40-42 should have the thick aircell foam padding, rolled seam, and garment weight leather. The one with the studs is '46. The 2 pans without holes are '38, '39 long nose, non-vented.
      A. Bernhardt
      AMCA# 9726

Comment

rms337,
        Sent you a PM.
        Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. This helps. Does anyone know if Indian embossed the leather on the originals with the round logo? I see it all the time, but not sure if that was from the factory.

Comment

Based on what I have seen as well, I think that's the reason you see the symbol on the seats. Even my original Indian vertical unrestored seat has the same stamping. I don't know yet who made the vertical seats, though as you can see, the same stamp was even on them. I think many seat restorers do this to be faithful to the authenticity of the original designs. I think it's a nice touch.
            I have seen this on Kiwi seats, Oldtimers.com, Heather's Leathers and other modern restorations.
            Indian sourced out many parts, especially in the post-war era. If you ever see the film Indian Summer, there is a guy interviewed late in the film who worked in the parts sourcing department for Indian at some point. I am still trying to find half the sources for vertical parts; tanks, frames, bolts--other stamped parts, though no one knows who the company symbols belong to and so no one knows who made the part.
            -JR
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bernhardt View Post
              The pan to use on the 40-42 is the vented pan on the right in the first picture without the side protector studs. 40-42 should have the thick aircell foam padding, rolled seam, and garment weight leather. The one with the studs is '46. The 2 pans without holes are '38, '39 long nose, non-vented.
              Thanks, Alex for the clarification, and identification of the correct '40-'42 seat pan. And that is my segue into asking if anyone can help me find a seat pan for my '41 Sport Scout.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

You might surf Ebay and the seller name Theck. This is a guy who is affiliated with Ziggy's and appears to be clearing out the parts. I see many 40s era parts; 741 parts, early Chief and other small parts posted. I think I saw a pan, though can't remember what exact year.
                If you, in turn, hear of anyone selling Indian vertical Warrior motor parts (cylinders, cylinder heads, flywheels) send me a PM.
                Jim is out of Warrior parts.

-JR

Comment

This is the seat that is on my 46Chief. An unrestored bike when I found it.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Here's one at Flashback, though the description says 20s-30s?? listed at around $350.00
                    -JR s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600.jpg

Comment

From my 42 Chief. Seat was on the bike when bought. Bike was very complete and correct. I don’t have access to the bike for better photos so I hope what I do have helps.
                      Attached Files
                      AMCA # 3233

Comment

Originally posted by JTR249 View Post
                        Here's one at Flashback, though the description says 20s-30s?? listed at around $350.00
                        I'm not familiar with 'Flashback', John. Is that a ebay type marketplace? As always, thanks to everyone that responds.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Yes. Flashback is an Ebay seller specializing in antique motorcycles and parts. They have recently offered a flurry of Indian vertical parts, though the Warrior stuff is more difficult to obtain because of the assumed likeness of the parts. Indian was very innovative when it came to that on earlier Chiefs and Sport Scouts, though the drawback with Warriors is that people just don't know about how to check PNs and confirm. They end up posting that something is what it obviously is not and sometimes the worst case, that you get it home and check the number because someone was too lazy to remove the valve spring and check the part number in the basin.
                          I missed out on a complete Warrior motor earlier in the year because a seller would not dismantle the motor to check the flywheel and cylinder head part numbers. Too risky.
                          -John

Comment

Originally posted by JTR249 View Post
                            -JR s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600.jpg
                            FYI, the pan listed at Flashback is Messinger long nose full pan intended I believe for KJ or Super X. The pan is unvented, and the studs that attach in the front look to be spaced wider to fit the X front bracket. In addition, the rib under the pan looks different than the Indian pan. This style pan was later accessory part, as the original X seat would have been the messinger #2.
                            A. Bernhardt
                            AMCA# 9726

Comment

Originally posted by bernhardt View Post

FYI, the pan listed at Flashback is Messinger long nose full pan intended I believe for KJ or Super X. The pan is unvented, and the studs that attach in the front look to be spaced wider to fit the X front bracket. In addition, the rib under the pan looks different than the Indian pan. This style pan was later accessory part, as the original X seat would have been the messinger #2.
                              FWIW I have a Persons King Comfort on my 1930 KJ.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X