Chief Overdrive Gearbox - Clutch Core fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Overdrive Gearbox - Clutch Core fitment

I know I have my fingers in a lot of fires with the bike right now and am flooding the forum, hope its ok, I am separating the questions so that it perhaps will help someone in the future. (Bikes off the road for this week, replacing clutch, and checking oil scavenge valve and the breather valve as well as some measurements and stuff.

My 4 speed came with "some" documentation and limited drawings. I installed it a few years ago and did not get to ride the bike more than about 4k miles. Ive been complaining about the clutch and the friction point of the petal for a few weeks now and all this has me opening up the clutch side of the gearbox, I am going to recheck my install for proper alignment and shimming. (Perhaps my current concern below is part of the problem.)

First thing I am noticing and I cant remember it being this way when I put it together is that the Clutch Core (Overdrive naming), wobbles on the spline shaft, not a huge amount but more than I would ever expect! (The 3 speed has a keyed clutch core, called Clutch Hub). Anyway, this can't be good and so I wanted to know if anyone else see this? I have the proper retaining rings in place and the clutch core retainer is there. I don't like this wobble at all, it seems to me anything fitting a splined shaft is a close fit and may even need pullers to remove the part from the spline? Yes it wobbles when everything is tightened up. Maybe I am just getting over concerned? Ive looked and I can buy a new clutch core but its really pricy and I don' want to buy it to find out its designed like this. Thoughts, experience? Sorry wobble is really not a technical word, but it does rock on the spline.
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

You may have found your "Gremlin". I can't think of any purpose a 'wobbly' or unstable clutch core/hub would serve?
    As your planning on pulling the clutch is it a lot of work to pull the core to check for fitment on splines??
    (Please send pictures)

Comment

UPDATE - I spoke with Ed on this a few weeks back, he indicated it was completely normal for that core to wobble and has seen it many times, it does not effect the operation once its all put together and fitted properly, and as he indicated it really is not a problem as the fitment takes up the movement. I have a mp4 that shows this but the system does not let me upload it. hmmm maybe attach it here: Clutch Hub
      Last edited by NiteOwl; 08-24-2021, 03:28 PM. Reason: adding video
      Bob Beatty
      AMCA 19209

Comment

Thanks for the update and the video clip. Have you gotten things back together?

Comment

Yes its back together, I looked at the video again and really is unsettling, BUT it is operating well at this time. I could not see any abnormal wear on the bits and pieces and this gearbox only has about 2000 miles on it, now it has new clutch pack as well. Seems when the clutch pack was installed it allowed that internal hub to find its place. . . Ive been ridding the bike for a couple days now, ALSO I broke an intake valve spring shortly after posting the original message, then I discovered I did not have any grooves in my tappet guide nor on the tappets themselves and the sump pump was an older style, haha so I replaced the tapets and they are now grooved and I also obtained a sump pump with the short tube and Ive noticed a huge difference in my oil flow, so (touch wood), things are looking ok and I am enjoying the bike. This was my summer to work out the bugs with this bike, I love how it pulls strong and is so much fun to ride. Learning lots when I am forced to wrench it, which is something I love to do anyway.
          Bob Beatty
          AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
          X