45 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 Chief

Hello. Im the new owner of this 45 Chief that belonged to a friend for at least 20 years. The history of the bike is said to come from Hastings, Nebraska where there was a Naval Weapons Depot during WWII. This is my 2nd Indian, the first being a 1943 741 that I bought in Davenport from Matt Blake. I'm happy to have found something bigger and a bike I can ride on the highway along with gravel roads where I live in Iowa. How do you tell the difference between essential use from military?

Resized952021030395173052.jpg
    Scott Larson
    AMCA #13589
    Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
    1971 HD FLH
    1971 Triumph Bonneville 650
    1973 Norton Commando 750

As i understand it, 1945 Chief's are pretty rare bikes, only a handful were built for civilian use...?
    Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
    https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

Yes, they were called Essential Use. A lot of government red tape needed to be signed off on to allow a sale. Police, government workers, Ammunition or warplane plant workers and also farmers were essential. I've been told all the 1945 Chiefs were essential use.
      Scott Larson
      AMCA #13589
      Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
      1971 HD FLH
      1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Originally posted by slarsonroy View Post
        I've been told all the 1945 Chiefs were essential use.
        That's my understanding as well, the US military wasn't a customer for 74ci Indians, they went to Canada and overseas.
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

You need a copy of this book Scott. It covers the military chiefs but also discusses the essential use models. American in Paris.jpg
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

You motorcycle looks great. I'm diggin' the 18"wheels !! Looks like you're missing a right rear fender stay, ... Jerry Greer's Engineering may be able to help, if you need something.
            Here's a short synopsis of what I just experienced with my most recent project.

I recently finished a '45 EU Chief. When I bought it, it was complete, but completely apart. The engine/trans were pretty much trashed. A magneto model, according to the cases, but someone had buggered up a '48 oil pump and mis-timed it when put on the bike. This caused much grief when I rebuilt the motor.
            I now have the correct mag, but initially put it together with a distributor until I got it running and dialed in. I will put the proper mag equipment (idle gears, kicker pedal, ratchet gear, mag advance, and correct mag ignition switch, at a later date.

From what little research I could find, here's what I found ... (from memory) which isn't always too clear !! ha,ha !!
            The differences are minor but distinct. Biggest thing is no chrome package offered for the EU; the tail light bracket and tail light assembly; military had black out lights, civilian, of course only a single tail light. Horn cover on the civilian model had the name INDIAN; military had no marking on the strip.

My frame/engine numbers are pretty low. Around #600 (+/-). Probably left the factory before the end of the WW2 (Aug '45). I painted my M/C with a lusterless (not flat), JEEP grey. After agonizing about the color choice, I decided on a color that was appropriate for a post war bike. Certainly not an official Indian color...
            On my bike I parkerized anything that would normally have "shiny", such as the shock covers. the dimmer switch cover and horn button bezel; all the nuts and bolts (leaving the fasteners such as the cam cover screws clutch cover screws and most powerplant fasteners alone) I left the oil lines cad plated. My spokes are Stainless Steel finish. They are supposed to be black. I painted my exhaust pipes black. I eliminated nearly everything that might be chrome or "shiny". The only shiny stuff on the bike is the headlight ring, tail light ring, the speedo bezel and the amp meter bezel. Stainless Steel Spokes as noted above. Handlebar sleeve nuts and tank badges are parkerized. Also,both brake backing plates,and fastening bolts and nuts, are parkerized.
            My seat is a dark brown. Gas caps, Oil cap are original, all with vent holes. The dashboard is a dull finish black powdercoat. Tool box lock is black. All the spark advance fasteners, primary wire tube, valve covers, intake manifold and nuts... parkerized. Clutch, brake pedals and linkage, too... You get the idea.

I purposefully went overboard on many of the items I parkerized. I don't have documentation for much of it. However, as I was putting the bike together I used "artistic license" to guide me
            through the assembly. My reasoning is my minds eye; would the parts I didn't parkerize blend well with the overall look I was trying to achieve. I think the end result came out with the look I was after... not sure if the "judges" might agree. But, I'm happy with it.

I have some pics on my flip phone, but no way to get them to my computer files, sorry.
            Here's the only one I have available (if I can get it posted with this reply).

Roger Herbison thumbnail_IMG-6235.jpg

Comment

Hi

What is the Engine Number, Frame should start 345xxx Engine should start CDExxx from #101 up. CDE1672 is the highest numbered 1945 That I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                You need a copy of this book Scott. It covers the military chiefs but also discusses the essential use models. American in Paris.jpg
                I've been looking for one, thanks Robbie!
                Scott Larson
                AMCA #13589
                Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
                1971 HD FLH
                1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post
                  You motorcycle looks great. I'm diggin' the 18"wheels !! Looks like you're missing a right rear fender stay, ... Jerry Greer's Engineering may be able to help, if you need something.
                  Here's a short synopsis of what I just experienced with my most recent project.

I recently finished a '45 EU Chief. When I bought it, it was complete, but completely apart. The engine/trans were pretty much trashed. A magneto model, according to the cases, but someone had buggered up a '48 oil pump and mis-timed it when put on the bike. This caused much grief when I rebuilt the motor.
                  I now have the correct mag, but initially put it together with a distributor until I got it running and dialed in. I will put the proper mag equipment (idle gears, kicker pedal, ratchet gear, mag advance, and correct mag ignition switch, at a later date.

From what little research I could find, here's what I found ... (from memory) which isn't always too clear !! ha,ha !!
                  The differences are minor but distinct. Biggest thing is no chrome package offered for the EU; the tail light bracket and tail light assembly; military had black out lights, civilian, of course only a single tail light. Horn cover on the civilian model had the name INDIAN; military had no marking on the strip.

My frame/engine numbers are pretty low. Around #600 (+/-). Probably left the factory before the end of the WW2 (Aug '45). I painted my M/C with a lusterless (not flat), JEEP grey. After agonizing about the color choice, I decided on a color that was appropriate for a post war bike. Certainly not an official Indian color...
                  On my bike I parkerized anything that would normally have "shiny", such as the shock covers. the dimmer switch cover and horn button bezel; all the nuts and bolts (leaving the fasteners such as the cam cover screws clutch cover screws and most powerplant fasteners alone) I left the oil lines cad plated. My spokes are Stainless Steel finish. They are supposed to be black. I painted my exhaust pipes black. I eliminated nearly everything that might be chrome or "shiny". The only shiny stuff on the bike is the headlight ring, tail light ring, the speedo bezel and the amp meter bezel. Stainless Steel Spokes as noted above. Handlebar sleeve nuts and tank badges are parkerized. Also,both brake backing plates,and fastening bolts and nuts, are parkerized.
                  My seat is a dark brown. Gas caps, Oil cap are original, all with vent holes. The dashboard is a dull finish black powdercoat. Tool box lock is black. All the spark advance fasteners, primary wire tube, valve covers, intake manifold and nuts... parkerized. Clutch, brake pedals and linkage, too... You get the idea.

I purposefully went overboard on many of the items I parkerized. I don't have documentation for much of it. However, as I was putting the bike together I used "artistic license" to guide me
                  through the assembly. My reasoning is my minds eye; would the parts I didn't parkerize blend well with the overall look I was trying to achieve. I think the end result came out with the look I was after... not sure if the "judges" might agree. But, I'm happy with it.

I have some pics on my flip phone, but no way to get them to my computer files, sorry.
                  Here's the only one I have available (if I can get it posted with this reply).

Roger Herbison thumbnail_IMG-6235.jpg
                  Very nice Roger, love that color!

I found another picture of a USN haze grey colored 345 that I may go with on mine. Or possibly this other police grey essential use Chief.

IMG_20210308_135303_655.jpg

FB_IMG_1615301412128.jpg
                  Scott Larson
                  AMCA #13589
                  Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
                  1971 HD FLH
                  1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Originally posted by someozybloke View Post
                    Hi

What is the Engine Number, Frame should start 345xxx Engine should start CDExxx from #101 up. CDE1672 is the highest numbered 1945 That I have seen.
                    Both start with 345 and CDE, but are not matching. 1624 is the frame number, engine # is 600 less.
                    Scott Larson
                    AMCA #13589
                    Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
                    1971 HD FLH
                    1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Lucian's '44 Chief.jpg slarsonroy-

Oh boy !! looks like there's several 1945 Grey EU Chiefs out there... "50 shade of Grey". yea, I get it ! Actually, during my research to find the "right" Grey color for my choice of color. I found there were about 65-70 shades of a grey. Most are military, for so many reasons. Some were various different manufactures idea of what Grey is supposed to look like. The same goes for most other colors... even Indian Red has several different hues, throughout the years.

I toyed with idea of a "stealth Grey"... the color of the B-1 Stealth Bomber. Radar does not recognize the object if the color is "Stealth Grey", according to what I found. Didn't choose that color, because if radar can't see it, maybe someone driving a car might not see it either. just sayin'.

As I mention in my initial response to your first post... I really like the 18" wheels. All my chiefs have 18's. With the above pics you can easily see the dramatic difference in appearance. I believe there is also a dramatic difference in the way the M/C handles with 18's. I can't imagine why anyone would even want those big old ballon tires... makes the bike look and feel too heavy. But, thats just my opinion. Sixteen inch wheels certainly became the choice shortly after the war, Harleys, too. I'm not sure why the narrower tires were discontinued. Indian still had the 18's, but you had to special order them for the later years.

Thanks for sharing the other pics of the EU Chiefs. I'll add them to my others on file.
                      Here's another one I really like... Lucian Hood's documented Ohio Hiway Patrol '44 Chief. This one is stunning

C2K

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post

I toyed with idea of a "stealth Grey"... the color of the B-1 Stealth Bomber. Radar does not recognize the object if the color is "Stealth Grey", according to what I found. Didn't choose that color, because if radar can't see it, maybe someone driving a car might not see it either. just sayin'.

C2K
                        From my work as a defense contractor, it's not the color, it's the material, which is called RAM - Radar Absorbing Material - a highly classified formula. Grey airplanes (and ships) are also hard to see, so that enemy observers have a harder time noticing them. Your theory about grey motorcycles being hard for other drivers to see is valid.
                        AMCA #41287
                        1971 Sprint SS350 project
                        1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                        1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                        1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                        96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                        2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                        plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Bob Rice just posted a period picture of an essential use Chief (post 848)
                          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                            Bob Rice just posted a period picture of an essential use Chief (post 848)
                            Bobs picture was a leaf spring chief. Different animal.
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Were civilian Indians painted gray during the war, like Harleys? The USN had about four shades of gray during WW2.
                              VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                              X