Side stand questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by someozybloke View Post
    You may have a stand for the 18" wheels rather one for the 16" wheels. I know that my 40 Chief with the 18" rims sits much higher than the 46 or 47 chief.
    I agree!!! I have a spare stand for 16" rims. Let me know, came off my Chief when I went to 18" rims years ago and I think it is OEM.
    Last edited by KNUCK; 12-29-2020, 11:48 AM.
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Terry, found this Service Shot from 1940 discussing lean angle and how to change it, pretty sure the sidestands are the same between model years except that in 1940 they didn't offer a stand for 16" tires:
      service shot sidestand.jpg
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks Harry!

When you read this is your understanding that they are referring to the top of the stand where it bolts on, or the pad/end that hits the ground? At first I figured it was the top because it states "the motorcycle end" of the stand.

But they refer to it as a "pad" which in my mind is the end pad that makes contact with the ground. Filing that pad would also address my issue with the side stand hitting the center stand.

But without the drawing it's not clear to me.

Comment

I would say they mean the part that touches the ground, but it did say motorcycle end. I would think filing or grinding on the pad is just a way to fine tune the lean. If you try to do an 18" rim bike leg it is likely a no go for a 16" rim bike. Here is a pic of my extra stand off my 46 Chief. kickstand 1.JPGkickstand 2.JPGkickstand 3.JPG Pad is 1/4 inch thick. This came off a 16 " Indian Chief rim bike. OE part I think.
          Last edited by KNUCK; 12-29-2020, 08:02 PM.
          #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Thanks for the pics and the dims of the pad. Mine is 1/2" thick, so grinding it down sounds like the way to go.

Comment

... a couple more pictures, Terry you'll kill two birds with one stone by taking that foot pad down with a grinder, but in case you'll still be looking for more lean angle then the Service Shot is talking about the upper pad. (going underneath like this I've shamed myself into removing both stands and the battery tray to blast and paint them! ...problem with dirt roads is that they use salt on them in the summer to keep the dust down, if you don't wash it after a ride rust is what can happen over the years!)

full_sidestand.jpg

top_pad.jpg
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Always with the great pics!!
                Sorry for encouraging the "extra work"!
                After seeing how thin the pad is in your pics and Knucks, I'm going to start with grinding the base pad and I believe it will get me what I'm looking for.

Comment

I've got a 47 Chief with 16in rims and coker tires and the original stand stood the bike up way too straight (ie would fall over almost just by turning the handlebars to the right). After discussions with Carl at Apopka Indian, switched to a 48 stand that fixed the problem - now the lean is perfect. The downside is that it is now harder to lean the bike over on the side stand (like Bob Stark showed me how way back when) and set the center stand easily. Block of wood solves that and I'd rather have a useful 48 side stand!

Comment

Originally posted by cbartku View Post
                    I've got a 47 Chief with 16in rims and coker tires and the original stand stood the bike up way too straight (ie would fall over almost just by turning the handlebars to the right). After discussions with Carl at Apopka Indian, switched to a 48 stand that fixed the problem - now the lean is perfect. The downside is that it is now harder to lean the bike over on the side stand (like Bob Stark showed me how way back when) and set the center stand easily. Block of wood solves that and I'd rather have a useful 48 side stand!
                    Thanks. I adjusted the stand fastener to allow the stand topic out more and it did help, but still plan on taking a little off the bottom of the pad.

Comment

Working...
                    X