Side stand questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side stand questions

I FINALLY got my Chief off the lift this weekend, and when it's on the side side the bike is dam near vertical, doesn't lean over towards the stand much at all. Even on flat concrete it wouldn't take much to knock it over.

When I installed the side and center sides I noticed that they touch when they are both up. I though this may be correct because it adds extra protection for keeping them both up, but now I'm thinking that maybe the side stand is slightly too long?

Should like meet like the attached image?

And has anyone tried grind off some of the bottom of the side stand so the bike leans a little more? Or any other tricks, beside going to a '48 style stand?

IMG_2311.png

Hi Terry, check out Greer's offerings for side stands, they give some sidestand measurements for both 16" and 18" tires. Maybe you've got a stand for18" tires? If not, then here's two other thoughts. A) I had a friend mount some modern radial 16" tires on his Chief, he had the same issue....tires were lower profile than 5.00-16 bias tires, or B) make sure the spring on the mounting bolt is not fully compressed when the stand is up having no weight on it. My stand actually "relaxes" outwards and leans the bike over when I put weight on the stand...the pad slides outwards maybe 3/4" when the bike weight leans over on the stand. That's all I got!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks Harry! Does your side and center stands lock together like my photo?

I did check the length based on Geers drawings and it is the correct stand for 16" tires, and I double checked the spring and the stand does slide out about 3/4" of an inch when the bike is leaned over.
      So the bike leans over about 2" or less from straight up. Maybe it's correct, but doesn't feel very secure and wouldn't take much to knock it over, especially on an uneven surface.

Comment

Terry, your photo was too small so I couldn't tell. Let's see if I can put up two photos!
        AACA7A36-0B52-4E62-A458-CDB471DDBF05.jpeg
        Attached Files
        Last edited by pisten-bully; 12-15-2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Is it me? Or does the pad look too thick on the new stand? The one on Pisten-Bully's bike looks a lot thinner.
          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

One more, even though it's on a dirt road it's like pavement and the pad doesn't sink in:
            lean.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
              Is it me? Or does the pad look too thick on the new stand? The one on Pisten-Bully's bike looks a lot thinner.
              Good eye Jim! Especially since the image was so small.

And thanks for the pixs, Harry. Your road pics always make me jealous that I don't have local roads like those here!

Here's another hopefully larger image.

The pad does look considerably thicker than Harry's stand, and you can see how the 2 stands lock togther. When I have the stand down and extended, there is only 3/4" spces between the bottom of the stand and the ground.

I have bought 90%+ of my parts from Greers, and everything is great quality, fits, the order is always correct and Todds customer service is great.

Unfortunitly, this stand came from someone else, and like several of other parts from this vendor, it looks like this one may have issues also.

Let me know if I'm missing something. Just finall finshed a long, long resto and I don't want the first drop to be from the stand!
              IMG_2316.jpgIMG_2311 (1).png
              Attached Files
              Last edited by TH47Indy; 12-17-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

It may be a bit hard to tell... although the photos were not taken from the same "position" but the angle of your pad also looks different than Harry's stand. I was just flipping back and forth between pictures and noticed that.
                Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Just a thought but if you need to source a new stand the 48 and up style front stand is way better.I removed the side stand and center stand and and just run the later style.
                  I think its obvious why they changed after 47.
                  Tom

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I think it's a case of another piece of junk repo part. Unfortunitly I made couple of purchases from him, and I wasn't ready to install the parts for a while.

There was issues with almost every part. Now they say the first order is too late to return, and he'll look at the bellcrank that didn't fit, but then want to charge a 15% restocking fee.

Going to order a stand from Greers, and toss a couple hundred $'s of the other parts in the trash.

Good adive on going to the '48 style stand. My first goal was to initially have the bike as close to original as possible, with the understanding that after riding it for a while I'd more then likely need to make several upgrades.

All part of the fun.

Comment

Someone had changed the stand on my '46 to the '48 type. But my Chief seems to lean pretty far over and I usually will put a 2X10 under the stand to hold it upright a bit more. Hmmm... It's possible that something may be "worn". I haven't looked at it too hard to actually see if there is a problem or it's just the way it is. I was actually thinking at some point I may put the "correct" 1946 stand back on it.
                      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

You may have a stand for the 18" wheels rather one for the 16" wheels. I know that my 40 Chief with the 18" rims sits much higher than the 46 or 47 chief.

Comment

Originally posted by someozybloke View Post
                          You may have a stand for the 18" wheels rather one for the 16" wheels. I know that my 40 Chief with the 18" rims sits much higher than the 46 or 47 chief.
                          Thanks, I did think that was the issue but I measured it and it is the one of 16" wheels.

I think the pad is too thick and maybe the bolt hole is a little out of position. I brought the air up in the tires from 21lbs to 25lbs and that seemed to help a bit, but not sure how the ride will be at the higher pressure.

Comment

1940 Side Pitch.jpgGive you an idea of the pitch that my 1940 Chief has on the side stand.
                            1940 Side Stand.jpg Side Stand - really thin foot plate. original 1940 stand leg.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                              Someone had changed the stand on my '46 to the '48 type. But my Chief seems to lean pretty far over and I usually will put a 2X10 under the stand to hold it upright a bit more. Hmmm... It's possible that something may be "worn". I haven't looked at it too hard to actually see if there is a problem or it's just the way it is. I was actually thinking at some point I may put the "correct" 1946 stand back on it.
                              Probably normal Jim. There's a 2x4 block under mine all the time in the garage. More of personal preference I guess how you like to see it sit. Leaning over as far as it does isn't a problem unless you just filled the left tank too close to the top. I keep a small piece of 2x4 in saddle bag for those times when tank is full. Often when out and about if there is a "slight" grade I'll use that to my advantage and park the bike so the kickstand is on the uphill side.
                              Jason Zerbini
                              Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                              Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X