Intake manifold nipple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake manifold nipple

Anyone ever removed the manifold nipple from the cylinder on a 47? Did it go well? Stan

Originally posted by stan View Post
    Anyone ever removed the manifold nipple from the cylinder on a 47? Did it go well? Stan
    Chiefs usually don't need it, Stan!

But its still surgery;
    Please review http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Beware nipple rivet holes are often distorted, tearing threads in the head if you back them out.

Good luck!

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-10-2019, 10:03 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Recently purchased a NIB set of Eastern made in India cylinders and was told the the nipple threads are metric and nipples need replaced? Was also told a method of removing was welding a piece of hex stock in bore to turn out with wrench? As a young man I removed a set with a chisel to replace with Panhead O-ring style but that is another story. When these were built there wasn't Loctite thread locker hence the use of stakes/ rivets so question if they're necessary if green or red Loctite is used? Sorry to raise more questions but in reply to OP yes they are made to come out, just need a plan

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbalowe View Post
        Recently purchased a NIB set of Eastern made in India cylinders and was told the the nipple threads are metric and nipples need replaced? Was also told a method of removing was welding a piece of hex stock in bore to turn out with wrench? As a young man I removed a set with a chisel to replace with Panhead O-ring style but that is another story. When these were built there wasn't Loctite thread locker hence the use of stakes/ rivets so question if they're necessary if green or red Loctite is used? Sorry to raise more questions but in reply to OP yes they are made to come out, just need a plan
        Panheads suffer the most from callous removal, Bubbalowe!
        You was damm lucky; Hundreds of Pans weren't. (Colony kits were complicit.)

No Loctites that taste like saccharin withstand P4gas. I found out the hardway.
        The rivet was to retain the nipple if a crusty nut grabbed it. Otherwise the cylinderhead would have to be removed to remove the manifold.

Might as well get the right tool for the job,... Because you will need it to put in a fresh one.

....Cotten
        PS: Chiefs did use a sealer unknown; Perhaps white lead?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-10-2019, 10:06 AM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

I had read that the nipples were over sized slightly on the thread od and they had made oversize nuts to fit.I have seen them on ebay with nuts included.
          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
            I had read that the nipples were over sized slightly on the thread od and they had made oversize nuts to fit.I have seen them on ebay with nuts included.
            Tom
            Thanks Tom. They're still in the box waiting next rebuild so if a nut is available that would be prefered, a discussion with a vendor lead me to believe they needed replaced. I removed the nipples in my Chief with a chisel because I opened up the ports to 1 1/2" and made an O ring style manifold and used O ring style manifold nipples. At the time it was about taking advantage of those big valves and going faster.

Comment

The O-rings survive Flatty heat, Bubbalowe?

They aren't supposed to...

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                The O-rings survive Flatty heat, Bubbalowe?

They aren't supposed to...

....Cotten
                Not true, work fine. Had off multiple times in last 30+ years and always soft and pliable. High heat O rings are available but my experience aren't needed.

Comment

Not true, work fine. Had off multiple times in last 30+ years and always soft and pliable. High heat O rings are available but my experience aren't needed.
                  I remember when, Bubbalowe,...

Ironhead sportsters could cook them regularly.

Must have been a loose nut on the handlebars.

....Cotten
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-12-2019, 10:24 AM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                    I remember when, Bubbalowe,...

Ironhead sportsters could cook them regularly.

Must have been a loose nut on the handlebars.

....Cotten
                    That's ugly, especially knowing the motor ate the loose chunks.

Comment

Interesting posts about removing the rivet on the intake nipple. I have a similar problem, but on a different application. When I'm not working on my FL, I putter around with a 1964 Ducati 100cc 2 stroke single cylinder. I'm trying to properly install the air cleaner. The PO of the bike directly mounted the air cleaner to the carb intake (you can see it in the first picture). It looks good, but it interferes with the tool box cover. Originally, the air cleaner had a 30 degree aluminum elbow between it and the carb intake. It tilted the air cleaner down enough so that you could open the silver tool box cover.
                      I managed to find an old air cleaner on Ebay with the 30 degree elbow, but the elbow won't screw out of the old air cleaner because someone drilled a hole through the threads. Instead of a rivet, it looks like they might have put some sort of set screw in it (there's nothing in the hole now).

The posts about replacing the Indian manifold nipples advise to cut the old nipple to get it out and not damage the cylinder threads. However, given the scarcity of parts, I don't want to damage the Ebay air cleaner by cutting it off the elbow. Anyone have any ideas on how to unscrew the aluminum elbow without damaging the threads or destroying the steel air cleaner?

Thanks!
                      John
                      Attached Files

Comment

Typically, John,..

Its HDs that need the cut-n-crush method, particularly Pans.
                        (Chiefs rarely need replacement, and Sport Scouts only when too long of a headbolt has already started to crush the nipple.)

Cast iron cylinderheads suffer much less, if they haven't been over-torqued upon the rivet.

I have no clue about your Duc, but heat and Kroil would be the first step.
                        Sometimes a sealer or adhesive has to be cooked to release it.

....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-18-2019, 09:09 AM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Sorry for the misunderstanding on the HD vs Chief cut-n-crush method. I learn something new each day.

Thanks for the advice about the heat and Kroil. I had started to try heat and PB blaster, but things weren't moving so before I applied max force, I decided to seek the wisdom here. I'll go back and try it again and this time add a little more force.

The Duc, brings back memories of the first bike I owned, but I have a 48 Chief, 82 FLH, and a 47 UL in a million pieces (someday it will come together). I greatly appreciate everyone's efforts to post here and help preserve/pass along the many years of knowledge and lessons learned.

John

Comment

Working...
                          X