Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welded in 34 chief case baffles

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

someone welded in these strips of aluminum to replace broken out baffles, what do you think? leave or remove? also does anyone recognize this ride control thanks chris

Chris!

It looks like a Crocker Chief dampener with a 'custom' knob.

The case repair depends entirely upon the skills of the welder, and the machinist who then fitted the mains.
    If the cases did not distort, it was worth it.

...Cotten
    PS: Example shown was found in a barn floor with a garden 'claw'.
    It illustrates that the brass stem was fragile, broken off in the nut, probably explaining your odd knob.
    Frame bracket on right was by Michael Breeding.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-12-2019, 03:02 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by cscott View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]23672[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23673[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23674[/ATTACH]

someone welded in these strips of aluminum to replace broken out baffles, what do you think? leave or remove? also does anyone recognize this ride control thanks chris
      If you're using oil control rings on your pistons, you probably don't need baffles. If you don't know the history/quality of the work, I'd say taking them out would be the safe bet. That's my thought.

Kevin

Kevin
      https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

In an H-D engine, the baffle slot is only a bit larger than the widest path of the rod beam (plus extra side-play for wear). The purpose is to create vacuum under the rising piston to draw oil (collected by splash under the baffle) up into the cylinder. Bore area ÷ slot area = large number. Since the rear cylinder gets some from flywheel throw-off, later engines only have a front baffle.
        The Indian baffle slot is much wider. Bore area ÷ slot area = smaller number. Why?
        The Linkert Book

Comment

Iwould leave them in if clearance ok,but take to competent welder to check out. The rocker shafts Need inspection closely.

Comment

I'd leave them in.

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
              In an H-D engine, the baffle slot is only a bit larger than the widest path of the rod beam (plus extra side-play for wear). The purpose is to create vacuum under the rising piston to draw oil (collected by splash under the baffle) up into the cylinder. Bore area ÷ slot area = large number. Since the rear cylinder gets some from flywheel throw-off, later engines only have a front baffle.
              The Indian baffle slot is much wider. Bore area ÷ slot area = smaller number. Why?
              I dunno Kitabel!

But here's my never-to-be-finished 334;
              The front rod slot is ~5/8" wide, the rear a fat 15/16", both for a ~3/8" wide rod.

Note the holes in the front baffle.
              Some say it is to aspirate upward, however it is obvious that they would also be drains when the motor stopped.

I chose not to repair, nor remove the broken baffles.
              Removal allows the cases to flex, and weld repairs usually distort enough to require re-decking.

I'd inspect the cylinder decks first, Chris!

....Cotten
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-13-2019, 02:38 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
              X