Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New clutch won’t disengage (after sitting dry for 3 years)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New clutch won’t disengage (after sitting dry for 3 years)

1947 Indian Chief. My engine, transmission and clutch were rebuilt by a pro shop 3 years ago. I made sure the engine was lubricated and turned over regularly. I finally got it running and before riding I checked only to find the transmission and primary were dry. After filling, the clutch will not disengage. The lever moves too easily. I thought maybe the clutch discs were stuck after being dry for three years. If that is so, what would be a good way of unsticking them? (The rebuilder retired and closed his shop 2 years ago)
    Thanks for helping.
    Larry Gibson

I think the lever resistance would not change if the friction and steel plates were stuck together.You could try to bring it up to temp and then rock the bike back and forth with motor off ,but My recommendation would be pull the cover and see whats going on.
    Tom

Comment

Here's a painful video of the attempt to get it in gear.

https://youtu.be/rCBfPucUcno

Comment

Work on getting it to roll in gear after warm up with the clutch in and in gear before you do any more grinding with motor running.
        Tom

Comment

Use high gear for rocking it back and forth.

Comment

Thanks. Will be doing that today. Should I drain the oil and replace it with something thinner (now has 30 weight non-detergent) or heat up the oil and refill the case?

Comment

start it in gear while up on the rear stand. After sufficiently warmed up hold the clutch pedal down and have someone push you off the stand. Keep the clutch pedal down while you accelerate and back off.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Good idea. I think I would need a large open area and I may try it later.

Comment

Howdy sir,

Define lever moves to easily. Do you mean the arm attached to the worm on the outside of the primary, with 16 clutch springs it should never move easily, requiring a crescent wrench to actuate if the linkage is disconnected. Either it needs to be adjusted to actually engage the worm to draw your pressure plate off or if that adjustment yielding nothing, then among other possibilities you’ve had total throw out bearing failure, your clutch stack height is out of spec or the large nut securing your clutch basket to the drive side trans bearing is backing off. I’d remove outer primary and then trans lid in that order.

Fours routinely lock their clutches in long storage, do not drop your machine off the center stand regardless of the fact it is a two man operation to undertake with precarious operator control, you risk breaking off the two cast steel mounting ears in the frame. If this clutch has truly dry welded itself, a first for a Chief I must say, merely start it, drop to a low idle, paddle off down the street with your feet while in the saddle, snick it in first gear and then commence rolling the throttle on and off with the clutch pedal disengaged. Has worked on my 440 for 25 years but I think your problem may lay elsewhere with this Chief.
                  Cheerio,
                  Peter
                  1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by larrymgibson View Post
                    Good idea. I think I would need a large open area and I may try it later.
                    Line up hay bales on both sides of the launch, Larry!

....Cotten
                    PS: Its easier to do as Tom recommended.
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-21-2018, 02:34 PM.
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Why drop it off the stand running in gear when I think you could hit the brake with the clutch in.But like Peter said if the lever and pedal dont feel normal taking the cover off would be next step.
                      Tom

Comment

But you have to start with the proper adjustment. Take the cotter pin out and see where the free play ends. Very possible that they mis-installed the arm on the hex. Adjusting takes 3 minutes. a 1/2" wrench and whatever to pill the pin.

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
                          But you have to start with the proper adjustment. Take the cotter pin out and see where the free play ends. Very possible that they mis-installed the arm on the hex. Adjusting takes 3 minutes. a 1/2" wrench and whatever to pill the pin.
                          Good first step right there!

Chris Haynes has years and years riding motorcycles and more skills than I'll ever have, I'd be really hesitant to do it the way Chris would...too many things could go wrong!
                          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I removed the cover and examined the clutch and everything looked normal. I hate to admit it, but the worm just wasn’t adjusted properly. It is now back together and working properly without the engine running. Now I have to deal with a gasoline leak. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Comment

Leaks have been addressed. It is about 50 degrees and cloudy right now. I plan to ride it today for the first time in 26 years. It broke down in Sturgis, SD in 1992 after riding and tent camping from Indiana. Wish me good luck. I will post a photo and video.

Comment

Working...
                              X