1947 Chief Linkert M344 Jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Chief Linkert M344 Jet

I have the original (I think) Linkert M344 carburetor for the 1947 Chief. It has run in the past after a carb rebuild, but only about 1500 miles. It sat in my living room for 20 years. Then the engine and transmission were rebuilt. Then I took the whole motorcycle apart, cleaned and painted it. It is now all back together. I have good spark, but when it wouldn't start, I started inspecting the fuel system. Took the carb apart to inspect and clean. Found that I had lost the spring that holds the emulsifier (aka fuel feed nozzle) up into the venturi. Took care of that, but in looking at various YouTube videos I see that where I have 2 plugs in the casting that rests in the float bowl, some have a jet in one of those holes. I don't have a leftover jet and I had just enough plugs for the holes. I will attach a photo. Should I have a jet in one of these holes?
    Attached Files

Just plugs, Larry!

Your bowl gasket is a little fat for a model that didn't use one, and your float is a boatanchor.

But it should still start even with the nozzle dropped; Run crappy though...

So please test your manifold while the carb is off: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html
    Good luck!

....Cotten
    PS: U-tube is the fast lane on the miss-information highway.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The set up shown in your picture looks correct to me.

Steve Slaminko

Comment

After several parts replacements (including the boat anchor float), the carb is functioning properly and the Indian started and ran for the first time in 26 years! Now I have questions about proper lubrication in the engine, transmission/clutch.

Comment

Working...
        X