1945 chief timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1945 chief timing

Trying to find the timing marks I have yet to find the + and the I, but have found a mark that looks like a $. Granted, I am trying to bump the motor and look through the timing hole at the same time, but what does the $ mean.

The $ sign means 'on the money'. Both valves in the front cylinder should be closed (tappets free).

Front piston will be 1/2" BTDC on the compression stroke.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

If you haven't already done so, pull the sparkplugs out and it'll be much easier to control your viewing of the marks.

Comment

Spark plugs are out so I know I was on the compression stroke. Really, Eric, that is the timing mark? I have a 1944 manuel that talks about using the I mark. Appreciate the response.

Comment

Originally posted by fizz View Post
          Really, Eric, that is the timing mark? I have a 1944 manuel that talks about using the I mark.
          Fizz, Eric's right, the dollar sign is BTDC for timing, the other mark is TDC, and it was a division mark, horizontal line with a dot on top and bottom. I guess new flywheels sometime in its life could mean different timing marks stamped on it!
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Well, thanks for the help, guys. So, not correct flywheels? Interesting, cause it was local 2 owners since 48, and they both thought the bottom end has never been opened up. If these things could talk!!!

Comment

I had a 1940 Chief which has no timing hole for viewing the flywheel. I found TDC, and BTDC when I had the motor out of the frame and was able to measure piston location with the head off. I marked the flywheels with a drill point through the crankcase drain plug, under the primary case. . . . Pain-in-the-ass !
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Folks,

Piston position on an installed motor is no problem, as long as you can accurately turn the motor back and forth, such as at the motor sprocket.

(That is also the most convenient place to attach a degree wheel.)

A drop of colored oil in the tube of this simple device screwed into the sparkplug hole will rise and fall with the piston.
                At its highest point, set your degree wheel to TDC.

....Cotten
                Attached Files
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-21-2018, 09:37 AM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Well, timing got easier anyway, going to be able to measure how far the piston is down in the cylinder, cause when I had my finger over the front spark plug hole the compression felt less than the rear, pulled the head, and got a scored cylinder. Should a guy make any modifications as far as compression, etc, while it is apart? Stock is fine, but since I can get 91 octane easy, bump up compression or leave it alone. I do ride it a lot. What was the difference between a stock and a Bonneville engine besides cam.

Comment

Well, timing got easier anyway, going to be able to measure how far the piston is down in the cylinder, cause when I had my finger over the front spark plug hole the compression felt less than the rear, pulled the head, and got a scored cylinder. Should a guy make any modifications as far as compression, etc, while it is apart? Stock is fine, but since I can get 91 octane easy, bump up compression or leave it alone. I do ride it a lot. What was the difference between a stock and a Bonneville engine besides cam.
                    That would be heads,pistons,carb,cam followers,magneto and sometimes guides.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      I had a 1940 Chief which has no timing hole for viewing the flywheel. I found TDC, and BTDC when I had the motor out of the frame and was able to measure piston location with the head off. I marked the flywheels with a drill point through the crankcase drain plug, under the primary case. . . . Pain-in-the-ass !
                      Did it not have the timing hole plug just above the drain plug,they look the same?

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
                        Did it not have the timing hole plug just above the drain plug,they look the same?
                        Trying to see a mark through that top hole is even worse than the hole below it Compound that with trying to bump the flywheel into position, and your neighbor's kids will hear your complete collection of dirty words I think it was 1944 when Indian put the timing hole in the 'right' place on the crankcase, and you have to wonder why it took them so long.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Remember after you punch up the compression and cam it up, you're gonna have to kick this beast over.

Comment

I decided to stay stock. No need to modify it.

Comment

I decided to stay stock. No need to modify it.
                              I think that is a wise decision. Old Indians, and Harleys have enough h.p. to be fun, and usable in stock form. Strokers, and high performance mods are okay for people that love to work on engines, but I don't see any advantage for real-world usage. The Japanese make fantastic high performance motorcycles that are reliable, and fast enough for the craziest gear head. What I've always loved about vintage American motorcycles is the time machine factor that can't be replicated in a modern motorcycle.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X