1935 Chief resleeve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samsmc1 View Post
    Cotten - you went past me on the locktite. We always set the interference at .0035 on modern engines with aluminum cylinder blocks without any locktite or pinning the new liner. I wouldn't even consider trying to pin the liners is an old Indian for fear of weakening the cylinder base after setting the interference at .0015., therefore it would seem that for saftey's sake, some locktite would be necessary. I fully understand the need for a fine finish on the sleeve and cylinder bore for heat transfer, but isn't securing the sleeve chemically just being cautious?
    I have another question concerning Indian cylinders - I'm getting the pieces together to build stock appearing '51 chief. I have a set of cylinders that I purchased from Eastern 7 or 8 years ago. I didn't use them on the '48 that I'm restoring right now because they were crappy looking on one side where the fins aren't right. Other than appearance, have you ever heard of any problems with these cylinders? I want to bump up the power with better cams, carb, and ignition. I plan on using Carrillo type rods and new flywheels. I don't want this thing coming apart. Any advise on this?
    Thanks
    Sam
    Sam!

I have no experience with Eastern cylinders.
    There were extensive discussions on the VirtualIndian yahoo group about re-manufacturing the Eversure Auto Agency castings, which were probably the same, but I didn't pay attention.

Back to securing a sleeve,
    I was schooled that the light press was essentially for heat transfer, as the enormous surface area is plenty of resistance to movement, even with a micro-fine finish. Cast iron doesn't shrink when over-heated like a tool steel, and the expansion coefficients of a cast iron sleeve in a cast iron cylinder are identical.

Perhaps Loctite offers a similar compound to Seal-Lock, but beware that their saccharin formulae may insulate instead of conduct, if they survive the heat.

Here's a sleeve that failed Folks...
    (Sorry its upside-down; the burnt portion should be at the top.)
    The reason it failed was the shoddy borejob in the casting. Although the sleeve never moved, there was not enough contact for heat transfer, with the voids insulating it further.

...Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Here's more about the Made-in-India cylinders, Sam!

Its from https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages by Ed Glasgow (with thanks to Jim Seidell), dated Oct 2009:

"With the continued interest in new cylinders here is the list items that
      must be looked at before installing any new India cylinders:

Here are some modifications may be necessary the India cylinders to fit
      properly. There may also be others needed.
      1. The top two fins on the front cylinder need to be cut between the
      intake manifold so the nuts will turn.
      2. The rear cylinder fins above the shifter tower. Hits the trans tower.
      3. Grind clearance for both cylinders in the area where the carb.bowl is.
      4. Valve guides are to large for the valve covers. Remove guides and turn
      down to fit the valve covers.
      5. Grind exhaust port area so the valve covers will fit. Do this when the
      valve guides are out.
      6. Intake nipples are too large for the nuts. Can usually be fitted with
      valve grinding compound. Be easy doing this so you will not bind and shear
      the pin on the nipple. Some cylinders come with new manifold nuts.
      7. Head bolt holes may not be correct positions and head bolts will bind
      on the holes in the head. Drill out cylinder head holes to next size.
      8. Check head bolt thread depth in the cylinders. Some have bottomed out
      and ruined a thread on the bolt and upon removal it took some threads out of
      the cylinder. Use of 2" head bolts will help or shorten original head
      bolts.
      9. Hone cylinders to fit standard pistons as they are undersize ( a good
      thing)
      "

Whew.

...Cotten
      PS: Yahoo sux.
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-31-2018, 02:04 PM.
      AMCA #776

Comment

I am going through the same issues with my 39 Scout, cylinders are rare to find, I sent mine to Vahan Dinihanian to be Nicasil Plated, it was .050 over and had a huge groove from a loose wrist pin in it, he is able to build them up to about .010 over but he requires that you do both so the friction characteristics remains equal between both cylinders. They won't wear anymore after coated, it is similar to what they use on a new car cylinder. He is on Facebook and has some of his work shown on there if you want to see it.

Comment

Hi gquist,

I have a set of 101 Scout cylinders with the same heavy grooves from loose pins. If you don't mind my asking, what was the cost of the Nikasil plating on your cylinders?

dkgoz

Comment

Originally posted by Dkgoz View Post
            Hi gquist,

I have a set of 101 Scout cylinders with the same heavy grooves from loose pins. If you don't mind my asking, what was the cost of the Nikasil plating on your cylinders?

dkgoz
            $289 each. If you add up the cost of sleeving them, which is marginal at best, Nikisil seemed like the best way to go.

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Mentioned this process prior. Unlike HD’s, especially flatties, Indian twins have low wall thickness at the base flange and are weakened by overboring and driving in an interference fit sleeve which serves to stress them more on a configuration with now compromised heat rejection characteristics. The process developed by US chrome in the 60’s and later refined at great expense by Mahle and trademarked as Nikasil when applied properly is nearly bullet proof in the consumer’s hands unless they elect to run without an air cleaner. When discussions of its perceived shortcomings arose in the late 90’s, many assumed, hard chrome aside, any cylinder plating treatment was Nikasil, which definitely was/is not. Even if actual Nikasil application quality varies from the horrible Chevy Vega to the Mercedes V8’s to the best, the air cooled Porsche RS and turbo series among others. Nikasil was developed for aluminum bores, not iron which as a host material is “dirty” and therefore requires a different process. Along with US chrome Millineum offers NSC plating at the link below.

http://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=29
              Cheerio,
              Peter
              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
                ... Unlike HD’s, especially flatties, Indian twins have low wall thickness at the base flange...
                Are you sure Peter?

I have actually measured the remaining wall thickness after huge overbores on both marques of flatties, and Indians have more meat.

The Indian 741 has too much!

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

The Chevy Vega was not Nikasil.
                  Not even plated!
                  It was a high silicon aluminum alloy in which the aluminum was etched back after boring to expose the very hard silicon.
                  McLaren Racing had similar V-8 castings made at a foundry I worked at in the late 1960's.
                  The main problem with the Vega was that the engine blocks were die cast and had problems with porosity and inclusions.
                  Bruce Argetsinger
                  AHRMA Dirt Track #67J
                  www.enfieldracing.com

Comment

Working...
                  X