Chief tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief tanks

Was wondering if anyone has taken apart a set of chief tanks, I have a set of 48 tanks I have apart but I am a little stumped on getting the mounting brackets off,look to be set on studs and possibly soldered on but I'm not positive, anybody know for sure?

My advice is to buy a set of welded Chief tanks from Iron Horse Corral. They're a bit pricey, but no leaks, no fires, no worries. Original tanks can be restored, and that should include re-tinning the inside surfaces. This can be expedited by getting the tanks tin plated, or copper plated to make it easier to bond lead solder. The problem with this is minute inclusions, and contamination that will just rust later on, leak, and ruin a paint job. If you were fixing a tank for an ACE, or early motorcycle gas tank that can't be replaced, you would have to proceed; but late Chief tanks by IHC are superior to original, and easy to obtain. Your time, and health is worth consideration. Just something to think about.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I appreciate the advice but I'll fix my originals, I have no problem repairing them especially when I am a person of very little capital I have to repair what I have.

Comment

tank form.jpg

I've rebuilt soldered tanks, and did a few for late Indians. To successfully re-solder the seams, the steel has to be hospital clean, and that can't be over emphasized. There are a lot of ways to clean metal, and you'll probably try them all. I do have a suggestion that I have used on every soldered tank I've messed with. I make a plywood form and cut out an opening that is bigger than the tank profile. I make a bunch of aluminum angle brackets tapped for 1/4" hex head bolts, and use them to press the tank shell against the inside panel. I've attached a crappy drawing of the fixture concept. I use 50/50 solder, liquid flux, and big copper solder irons that I heat with a propane torch. Don't put a flame to the metal. I apologize if I'm telling you things you already know.
        Last edited by exeric; 02-15-2018, 08:00 AM.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the tips,that's good information. Have you ever pulled the brackets off?

Comment

I don't believe I have, but do you need to remove the brackets? I would think the only reason to remove them would be if they are badly broken.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

The front bracket and rear tab are spot welded to the back plate.I don't think you need or want to remove them.
              Also Indian tanks for 50-53 are brazed together so you may want to try brazing if you completely diassemble to remove all solder.
              The advise for a jig is a must.
              Tom

Comment

It will be easier to get to the seams when I weld them together if they are not on there

Comment

Check the AMCA magazine for a detailed article on rebuilding your tanks. Winter 93 and Spring 94 issues.
                  Jim D

Comment

That is before my time in this club so I don't have a copy,can you post the article for me please?

Comment

You might find it in the library or archives for the club. It is about 8 or 9 pages long and posting pictures is not my strong area. But I have made a copy of it and could make more for you if you can't find it. You can PM me and we can go from there. I know that I gave the correct issues because I wrote it down when I made my copy. It is quite detailed.
                      Jim D

Comment

I remember that issue, Jim. Very good article, and some great tips on repair. However, it's strictly a lead repair, and no welding or brazing was done in the restoration. The guy who did the repairs was a real craftsman and I heard that he was overwhelmed with requests from people who wanted him to fix their tanks.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

I can't remember for sure but I think it was on this forum that someone had posted about putting the tanks in their outdoor grill to heat up and melt the solder to take the tanks apart. I've been dying to try this method.

Comment

That was on caimag site,it does work good that's how I got mine apart. That issue isn't available in the archives Jim D,I'll have to get with you on it

Comment

Working...
                            X